Hurricane Irma

Sable

Stay safe and dry Floridians. 

Im in Utah, in a bowl which is catching all of the smoke from the PNW and now one of our own ranges is on fire, air quality is terrible. The pictures out of the Columbia gorge are so awful Jodi, that area is so beautiful, I'm from Oregon, breaks my heart to hear about all of the fires going there. 

• Like 1

I use the Wundermap App to track the Northern Hemisphere's smoke from forest fires daily. The first pic is from two weeks ago. The second pic was from three days ago. It's been like this the entire summer. I wish these photos were on the daily news just for The awareness factor.

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

Stay safe and dry Floridians. 

Im in Utah, in a bowl which is catching all of the smoke from the PNW and now one of our own ranges is on fire, air quality is terrible. The pictures out of the Columbia gorge are so awful Jodi, that area is so beautiful, I'm from Oregon, breaks my heart to hear about all of the fires going there. 

I have family in SW Montana who are experiencing the same, Karin. They say it is the worst they've seen in 70 years. I hope it gets better for you soon!

Earlier in the summer, we had two fires burning on the military base less than a mile west from us. Our air quality was worse than Beijing for nearly two weeks. I tend to get migraines when the air quality is poor.  The latest, just east of Mt. Rainier which is 30 minutes east of us, has made it so smokey that the whole neighborhood has an eerie fog effect. The moon tonight is blood red. Tried to get a photo to share, but my camera phone just can't focus on it enough to capture the impact.

Given the choice, I feel dealing with the fire smoke is much less serious than dealing with a hurricane. I wish I could zap you all here to stay inside the nice air conditioning, having a mini party, until the smoke and storm danger passes!

• Like 1

Jodi, I have just been outside to let my Chihuahuas out and I usually look up at the moon and stars. I could not see either tonight but kept watching and periodically the moon pushed through for a few seconds and it was a funny color, not blood red here but more like a very ripe peach with some red and some gold. I have never seen that before. I am about 25 miles from the border on the west coast side

• Like 1

Our sky today has been a very funny overcast yellow haze. I'm not sure if that's the clouds or the smoke or a combination of both. And I hate to be the odd one out, but I am loving the smoke today. It kept our temps way down. The temp was supposed to be 95 which would have put my room at over 100°, but my room never got over 83.

I'm seeing a lot of people getting serious about Irma in Florida, though. Much more so than the people in Texas were about Harvey. I hope everyone stays safe. I don't think rain is going to be the big deal with Irma, but I have a hunch it's going to be winds and storm surge that will really cause a lot of damage.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Jodi, I have just been outside to let my Chihuahuas out and I usually look up at the moon and stars. I could not see either tonight but kept watching and periodically the moon pushed through for a few seconds and it was a funny color, not blood red here but more like a very ripe peach with some red and some gold. I have never seen that before. I am about 25 miles from the border on the west coast side

I really hate to say it, but boy do we need rain!

Well ladies, I have had a very very busy day shopping for Fairfield parts and I have just finished so I am going to try and go to sleep tonight for a changr. ..I actually ate a real meal today, and kept in down ,first time in 2 weeks.  Night and God Bless Gals and stay safe down south.

I am  driving from Atlanta to NOLA today, keeping an ear to radio weather reports. I hope I don't get back to New Orleans in time to evacuate. Local NOLA weatherguessers are saying that our moment of truth will come Sunday, when we'll know which way Irma turned -- or didn't.

• Like 1

The national news last night had Irma turning north far further east than our meteorologist in Mobile was showing; he reminds us, though, that these storms can only be forecast generally for a couple of days.  I really wish we could divvy up these storms so that all y'all dealing with the fires could get Harvey's & Irma's rains (not all at once, at least where people live)!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sable said:

Kathie, I think the strong cool front will keep it away from NOLA. 

I'm back in NOLA. Long but uneventful drive, thank goodness. I believe you're right, Sable. The local news is showing Irma ripping the devil out of south Florida. Stay safe!

• Like 1

I didn't even realize there were fires going on in the Columbia River Gorge until my daughter posted a pic on facebook yesterday!  Ack! Multnomah Falls area on fire!  Heartbreaking!  They lived in Vancouver for 5 years....just "down the road" from the fires.  

My son and DIL live in Orlando.  While they are safe from storm surge, the wind/rain factor will make for a wild ride!  She sent me a pic from the grocery store the other day... empty shelves!  I think my DH would prefer that they just get outta Dodge, but they are hunkering down.  Just hoping that the HUGE live oak tree in their back yard STAYS THERE!

• Like 2

When we visited Savannah,  the hwy system sorta confused me.  I looked it up.  I like the evacuation process.  All roads one way inland.  Made since to me.    Saw an interview a few minutes ago, girl had to take a "red eye" from .CA to FL to get her house safe and take care of her pets.   Nice person.

I would normally just ride it out, but our house isn't built for this kind of storm and I'm not risking my family.  My DW is expecting to be activated at the medical center, so she may not come home until Tuesday.  She will be safe there.  My kids and I aren't, so we're preparing to head north.  That is, if we can find a route that isn't clogged with out-of-gas cars.  Drivers are literally running out of fuel on I-75.  We haven't found any gas in town in a couple of days.  Luckily both cars and my bike are mostly full.  Shutting down the main pipeline to the SE U.S. was either a bone-headed idea or an act of criminal malfeasance.  Kentucky is a bit far, but my sister has a place with plenty of room.

A direct hit might have been better (dry land drains hurricanes quickly), but if it skirts our east coast, the warm water out there will just feed it