Hurricane Irma

Sable

Ugh.. looks like Tampa might cop the brunt now.. I need to get in touch with my SIL and see what their plans are. My husband is already talking about flying over there if both is parents and sister have major damage... I really hope it loses power before it gets to them.

I talked to a couple of relatives in Florida who called me regarding the fake message sent on my email account. It was incredibly generous of them to phone me to see what kind of help I needed when it is they who will be needing help. But I was appalled to learn that even though both are in or near mandatory evacuation areas, they are planning to ride out the the storm. My heart aches for them. This is not my prefered method for trimming my Christmas card list. :( 

I've been in Maine for the past week... Off the grid.. Left Maine early to head back to Tallahassee Florida....bringing water, gas cans and some generators . My daughter,granddaughter and son are there. We have a business that we need to keep the alarms running in. We have are own generators,a few of the neighbors need them. Going to fill the gas cans as we get closer to Fl. We are just getting into N.C.  We didn't  want to head into it,but we need to be there. We've been seeing  power trucks from all over and Canada heading south. Tree trimming trucks too. All the southern power people went to Texas.  Found another Sam's going to stop and get some more stuff.   Everybody be safe!

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

DH's 90+ year old momma lives SE of Tampa on the top floor of her condo, and she & her neighbors will be evacuated, as in previous storms.

Holly, where are you in Alabama? This thing has a lot of moisture in it. 

Joanne, wishing you the smoothest trip possible.

Holly, here's hoping the tardy contractor did right by the new roof! Is he riding it out there or coming to you for a few days?

5 minutes ago, Sable said:

Holly, where are you in Alabama? This thing has a lot of moisture in it. 

Denise, we are less than a mile from the FL state line, just to the south of US90.  We have been getting nonstop "moisture" since March.

4 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Joanne, wishing you the smoothest trip possible.

Holly, here's hoping the tardy contractor did right by the new roof! Is he riding it out there or coming to you for a few days?

The Kid will ride out the storm; the contractors are very conscientious about roofs in FL, ever since Andrew tightened the laws about buildings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

The Kid will ride out the storm; the contractors are very conscientious about roofs in FL, ever since Andrew tightened the laws about buildings.

From your lips to God's ear. I hope yours was one of the conscientious contractors.

Thank you Karin...... Stopped in Hickory N.C.  for more gas cans and a few other things......nothing left ,no gas cans ,generators,tarps that's 6-7 hours north of Florida.Filled the gas can in N.C.  There's not much gas on  interstate 75 just want to keep the van full to get home (we can use the cans if we have to).

Holly:  I hope all the trees that fell at your son's last storm are all down now.  Tell him to stay safe....

Yikes Joanne. Have a safe rest of your trip. I just left my home depot, but I didn't think to check for any of those things. I am right off 75. But if they are sold out in NC I'm sure we're empty here too. 

Thinking of everyone and their families in FL. I'm getting a little more worried about my kids. Especially the youngest, it kinda threw me for a loop that he is even being affected at all. Anslee should be fine, she can go to the restaurant to eat so that's good. I'm most worried about the big tall stupid pine trees that are all in her yard, several that are within 10 ft of her house. One in particular, if it fell, it would take out all 3 bedrooms.

I am glued to CNN, really distressing,Sable may I ask which bit of Florida you are in .Did you go to your hotel or stay?  Joanne take care. Holly if you are on the edge I shall be thinking of you too and Samantha, big hugs for your husband..  Hugs to all of you

Believe me, if Irma is headed towards us, us are hitching up the RV, closing the Bahama shutters, and heading north to the first state park or Army Corps of Engineers campground with available sites.  Joanne, the rest of the live oak is firmly attached to its roots on the other side of the adjoining unit, and the tree remover who took the other half off of his roof also removed the pine tree that had cracked and was leaning over his kitchen.  Because of the construction laws passed in FL after Andrew contractors who are not conscientious can wind up as guests of the state's department of corrections.

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Good Luck Holly, are there campgrounds left do you think?

Campgrounds yes; sites, who knows?

Addendum:  I have laid all the porch furniture down against the walls and DH has closed all our shutters.  In the AM we'll bring in the loose stuff and go out for jazz brunch in Pensacola; so far all the models show only peripheral storm impact here.  Denise, safe travel and safe shelter; and so for all y'all evacuating.

First outer bands have arrived in southeast Florida. Fast moving blustery gusts of wind accompanied by sideways rain. Then a lull of light rain until the next gust speeds by. Highest winds should be about 70 mph but not until Sunday afternoon. We are very lucky that the worst will about 100 miles west of us. 

We are not use to the cell phones and TV sirens going off everytime there is a tornado warning within the county. I don't know how you all in tornado ally deal with that during tornado season.

• Like 1

Stay safe everyone. Even as far north as I am they have already cancelled our schools. Wow. Didn't really expect that.

My daughter was put under a warning today, but she is staying there. But, my son suddenly decided to come home, so he's here with me, hooray!! That makes me feel better, and one less thing to worry about. (until he has to drive back to school Tuesday.)

1 hour ago, Beulah said:

Stay safe Sable, praying for you and everyone around.  Just got home last night from Orlando.  My heart goes out to all of you.  I live in tornado land, I think you have it much worse off. Hugs 

Orlando must have been a zoo over the past 4 days. 

• Like 1