Hurricane Irma

Sable

This nursing home event was inexcusable. In defense of Broward County, every vulnerable person who had preregistered months ago when they are annually asked to was picked up and taken to the appropriate shelter. Waiting until the last minute is not the fault of our county. 

• Like 1

That is shocking, my husband died in a nursing home 3 weeks ago and I cannot help but think what if..

Apart from all the others problems they should throw the book at that home It would seem that a few systems and plans failed for these old folks and I hope there is a ruddy great enquiry into just what went wrong, why and by whom.

Very sad, and disgusting too.

21 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

We installed Bahama shutters on all our windows first thing after we bought our house.

Unfortunately, aluminum shutters which include  Bahama and Colonial shutters are not allowed here. Only steel panels, accordion, roll ups or impact glass are allowed.  I really like the look of the Colonial shutters because they give a West Indies vibe. But when I looked into getting them last year I was told, "Nope, not in Broward".

I currently have a combination of steel panels for heavily exposed areas, accordions for smaller Windows and impact glass for two French doors. 

Edited by Sable

My goodness, there has been a bird battle all day over what few branches are left on my big tree which fell last week during the storm. What a fuss! I hope whoever wins doesn't get too comfortable as the entire tree will be coming down in a week or so. I always told my husband if that tree ever had to come down I'd want an extension added to the house. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sable said:

Not that I need the accessible rooms yet.

Planning ahead is good. That's why my new house is a stepless entry with a wide stall shower and doorways wide enough for a wheelchair if it comes to that. That and the fact that I fell in love with it at first sight. :cloud9:

• Like 1

That is terrible news. If anyone remembers the really bad Black Saturday fires that Victoria (Australia) had in 2009, following a heat wave, nearly 180 people died in the fire itself. More than double that number died from heat related illness and over 2000 people were treated for heat related illness. I know the nursing home probably didn't help matters, but it does unfortunately happen.

3 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Oh you really should! That would be a wonderful tribute to the old tree! You could make it a multi unit condo so there is no more fighting! :)

Right now it's just an emergency tent. The huge stump will have to be cut at a later date.

BEMA-Bird Emergency Management Agency 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sable said:

Right now it's just an emergency tent. The huge stump will have to be cut at a later date.

BEMA-Bird Emergency Management Agency 

image.jpeg

Love that. Kindness to all creatures is lovely. And the birds lost their homes too.  :)