Hurricane Irma

Sable

Finally heard from the in laws.. They are all ok. SIL in Tampa just has some trees down in her yard. Still no power though. Parent's in law just have a tree down on the fence. The power has just been restored at their house so all is good, because it could have been so much worse.. :) 

She is actually. She started way back in 2010, changed her major and school several times, then finally graduated from a Technical school last August with an associates. She just went back to VSU this semester to get her bachelors. So now all 3 of my kids are in college, which I never thought would happen because the oldest and youngest are almost 8 years apart! But I'm glad and proud of them all.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Has anyone heard from Gina on the central east coast of Florida?

She is just south of Vero. I'm sure she is fine. That area had a lot of rain from a very long band so she may have some minor street flooding. 

I haven't seen her on the Forum in a long time.  I just checked, she hasn't been on the forum since 7/2016.

Our eldest son used to run to the beach after storms to surf; scared me witless!  When the surf is up there's usually undertow, not to mention all the seaweed & junk the storm stirs up and the marine predators that are looking for munchies in it.

Our beach is always treacherous and it's not within the life guarded section about 1/4 of a mile north of us which is still closed. I'm good for dipping a toe in it but that's about it. Yes, there are boards with nails on the beach right now.  

Glad Gina is good.

Wiregrass is where my daughter graduated from last year. I think she wishes she had stuck with VSU, since she already had 3 years invested... But they don't listen. :)

Realized today that my next door neighbor had a tree fall over the fence, hit the deck, but just barely missed the house. Yikes. Schools go back tomorrow, yay. We have been distributing computers to each student, and we will have to reschedule 8 schools for a later date. I feel bad for those kids. (especially since two of them are my nieces, and I'll have to hear about it...)

Sable, how awful, I am so sorry.

This is an actual conversation I just had with my youngest in college. He came home during the storm, but it passed pretty much right over his school as a tropical storm.

"So, your dorm lost power? Did you lose a lot in the fridge?"
"No, I didn't have much. Just bread, jelly, root beer, and water."
"Okay good"
"Oh, and milk"
"But you threw away the milk right?"
"Wait, was I supposed to?"

I can't make this stuff up. This kid also asked if he needed to take his hairbrush to college. He also only took 7 pair of underwear because he planned on doing laundry once a week. His first trip home he got 2 more... In his mind he's visiting and not moving out. I'm not sure he was ready to leave home...

22 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Sable, how awful, I am so sorry.

This is an actual conversation I just had with my youngest in college. He came home during the storm, but it passed pretty much right over his school as a tropical storm.

"So, your dorm lost power? Did you lose a lot in the fridge?"
"No, I didn't have much. Just bread, jelly, root beer, and water."
"Okay good"
"Oh, and milk"
"But you threw away the milk right?"
"Wait, was I supposed to?"

I can't make this stuff up. This kid also asked if he needed to take his hairbrush to college. He also only took 7 pair of underwear because he planned on doing laundry once a week. His first trip home he got 2 more... In his mind he's visiting and not moving out. I'm not sure he was ready to leave home...

There is something about boys, I have two of them. Trust me it doesn't get any better even when they hit 30. 

Although the medical center where my wife works offered childcare for employees who were part of the disaster activation, my DW insisted that I take the kids up north to my sister's in Bowling Green, Kentucky.  There was a mandatory evacuation anyway, so we left at 1:30 Saturday morning and took byways instead of getting stuck on the interstate.  After a brief visit with my mom in Alabama, we got to my sister's at 7:30 p.m.  Kids had a blast and it was great seeing my little sister again.  It did feel very strange to go on a road trip without my DW.  She had a mostly uneventful campout on her unit from Friday night to Monday afternoon.

We headed back home early Monday morning while the eye was just north of town.  By the time we arrived, it was far north.  The power was out at our house for a few hours.  Not long enough for everything in the freezer to thaw.  A tree did fall about a block from the house and took the power lines with it.  Aside from one of our solar lamps on the porch getting knocked off, our property was fine.  My DW thought a tree had fallen within 2 feet of the house, but it was just weeks sprouting since I hadn't mowed this past weekend.  Parts of town were flooded and power wasn't restored to parts of UF and downtown until Tuesday afternoon.  The only other problem we had from the storm was the main relay on my bike.  It burns our every time we get a heavy rain.  This is the 3rd time this year (2nd time since June) it has happened.  So once again, my bike isn't running.

BTW, my suspicions about less fortunate evacuees were true.  I heard from several friends in South and central Florida who don't have cars or disposable income.  They all had the same story- they called the phone number the governor said to call in his frequent press conferences.  It rings a couple of times, changes to a busy signal and then disconnects.  It's a non-working number!  They all had to wait out the storm.  It's a shame there has been some loss of life, but fortunate that we didn't have an incident like New Orleans in 2005.