Hurricane Irma

165 posts in this topic

We are still reeling about the nursing home incident in Hollywood, FL.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

We are still reeling about the nursing home incident in Hollywood, FL.

Shades of Katrina. :( Residents of nursing homes are incredibly vulnerable. 

This nursing home event was inexcusable. In defense of Broward County, every vulnerable person who had preregistered months ago when they are annually asked to was picked up and taken to the appropriate shelter. Waiting until the last minute is not the fault of our county. 

1 person likes this

That is shocking, my husband died in a nursing home 3 weeks ago and I cannot help but think what if..

Apart from all the others problems they should throw the book at that home It would seem that a few systems and plans failed for these old folks and I hope there is a ruddy great enquiry into just what went wrong, why and by whom.

Very sad, and disgusting too.

Good, I hope they close him down  until it is all resolved.

We are only allowed to keep our storm shutters up for 14 days after a storm. I'm leaving mine up for as long as possible until we know where Maria is going. At least she is smaller than Irma.

We installed Bahama shutters on all our windows first thing after we bought our house.

21 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

We installed Bahama shutters on all our windows first thing after we bought our house.

Unfortunately, aluminum shutters which include  Bahama and Colonial shutters are not allowed here. Only steel panels, accordion, roll ups or impact glass are allowed.  I really like the look of the Colonial shutters because they give a West Indies vibe. But when I looked into getting them last year I was told, "Nope, not in Broward".

I currently have a combination of steel panels for heavily exposed areas, accordions for smaller Windows and impact glass for two French doors. 

Edited by Sable

My goodness, there has been a bird battle all day over what few branches are left on my big tree which fell last week during the storm. What a fuss! I hope whoever wins doesn't get too comfortable as the entire tree will be coming down in a week or so. I always told my husband if that tree ever had to come down I'd want an extension added to the house. 

20 minutes ago, Sable said:

I always told my husband if that tree ever had to come down I'd want an extension added to the house. 

For a dollhouse display room/museum? :) 

54 minutes ago, KathieB said:

For a dollhouse display room/museum? :) 

The wish list calls for a workshop, dream kitchen, handicapped accessible bedroom and bath.  Not that I need the accessible rooms yet.

23 minutes ago, Sable said:

Not that I need the accessible rooms yet.

Planning ahead is good. That's why my new house is a stepless entry with a wide stall shower and doorways wide enough for a wheelchair if it comes to that. That and the fact that I fell in love with it at first sight. :cloud9:

1 person likes this