Hacked!!

KathieB

If you get an email that appears to be from me requesting help, it's not really from me. Delete it. I'm getting calls from all over the country from good folks asking how they can help as well as messages from some forum members. I appreciate the show of concern, but really, this is a bummer. I've changed my password. Don't know what else I can do.

I got an email this morning supposedly from the attorney who represented me at the closing on the new house last week asking for details regarding my bank for wiring funds. Ha. The $$ that I wired to them and the overpayment that they wired back to me have both cleared my bank, so I know this message is a fake. Was I caught up in the Equifax hack? Who knows? 

I guess if we want to be connected, we have to assume we're vulnerable. 

Hadn't thought about the credit reports ... thanks.

And I haven't received any email for the past several hours, including two test messages that I sent to myself. I really don't need this right now.

47 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

My Mother seems to be the prime target for people calling to pose as her grandson who needs bail money/money to buy a plane ticket/etc,etc....and please don't tell parents. So creepy. 

My 87 year old dad fell for that one last week. Luckily my brother called the bank, credit card company and they all stopped the $4k in gift certificates from Best Buy, in time. These are smooth con artist and they really tricked my father. Same scenario. "Please don't tell parents since there is a gag order because I crashed into an undercover cop."  "I need bail money so my lawyer is getting on the phone now to give you the information on how to send it."  We joked with him afterwards because he would have let us rot in jail, glad he is willing to come to the rescue of his grandchildren. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sable said:

Kathy, I would put money down that it was the utility company that was hacked or an employee took your info and sold it. You had to give all of your personal info to them, correct? 

Gas, electric, water, tv/internet ... all required contact info. The fact that the fake emails appear with the same links in the signature section that are in my real emails is downright spooky.

My sister sent a test message to my gmail account. It appeared on my phone, but not the laptop. The one she sent to my sbcglobal account has not appeared anywhere, and neither have two tests I sent to myself. Gah.

So sorry Kathie. What a pain.

This may sound like a silly question, but I worked tech help desk for many years, so I've learned you never know, and it never hurts to ask the simple things.

On your laptop, have you updated your password either on your mail client, or your browser (however you access it). If using a browser, be sure to log out of your email, close the browser completely out, maybe clear your cache, or try another browser.

1 hour ago, sparklepuppies said:

On your laptop, have you updated your password either on your mail client, or your browser (however you access it). If using a browser, be sure to log out of your email, close the browser completely out, maybe clear your cache, or try another browser.

I changed my Att/Yahoo password, closed out Chrome and restarted the laptop. I haven't tried another browser. Will do that now. 

Tried IE, cleared Chrome cache. Went back to email and discovered the incoming emails had gone directly to Spam or Trash ... even the ones I sent to myself. It was easy to mark the ones that went to Spam as Not Spam, but I haven't figured out why the ones that go to Trash go there automatically. Will readdress the situation in the morning with a fresher brain.

8 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Oh. Okay. I have seen phishing malware that does that. It creates a rule that sends all incoming messages to trash. Sorry I didn't think of that sooner. :(

It's easily fixed by just removing all those rules. Message me if you need any help.

Thanks, Tracy. I googled "Yahoo mail going to trash" and found out I needed to check filters. Yep, there was one directing my incoming emails to Trash. Problem appears to be solved. I hope that's the end. I've now heard from friends across the US, Italy, France and the Czech Republic. Not my idea of a good way to keep in touch.

• Like 1