Long time lurker inro

Dizzylizzy

Hello all,

A long time lurker and mini nutter here in the Nottingham/Derbyshire area of the UK finally decided to post and introduce myself. :D

I currently own seven houses, one of them a Garfield which was my first venture into kit building and a huge learning curve. It taught me so much about the building process and how  to have far more patience! Lol

I'm currently working on a house that incorporates a sweet/candy shop and in between that I'm also attempting to renovate a huge 16 room tudor house I found on ebay that had been left neglected in a garage for over 20 years. 

When I'm not gluing myself to bits of wood, picking paint out of my hair or burning holes in my clothes with a soldering iron I love nothing more than to browse the wonderful talents of the people on here. I love how creative and imaginative everyone is! It's always incredibly inspirational.

Look forward to 'chatting' with you all.

Debs 

• Like 1

Hi Debs! Welcome.:wave:

I'm with you on the paint in hair and gluing myself to things. :D Haven't ventured into soldering yet... too accident prone and boofy for that... might burn my house down if I'm not careful! 

Welcome to the forum! I tend to wear jammies and work on mini projects as often as possible, Those two things collide to the point that I have no jammies that don't have paint and dried glue globs littered on them. I think you've found your "people"! :O)

Hi Debs, welcome.another UK (Yorkshire)  gal here but living in Canada( and her PJs too)  I have a Grosvenor Hall sitting here looking at me still partially built that I had shipped over as a kit which gets a bit of attention now and again  and a finished house waiting for a reno job that  one I bought on UK ebay too.

I am watching e bay Uk for a Katies Cottage if you hear of one.

I think you will enjoy the forum, it is very active and there is tons of very clever folk here to help with just about anything.

Awwww thanks so much for the lovely welcome guys. It's terrific to be able to chat to like minded folk who get just as messy up as I do. :D Jeannine,  not seen a kates cottage go through eBay for quite a while. Lovely little house though - I can see the attraction. I'm currently eyeing up a little custom built one on there myself. Not that I have any room left if I'm honest.....never stops me though! Lol

Thanks again guys!

Hi Debbie- and welcome! :wave:  

LOL  This thread has, once again, proven why I belong on this forum!  It's always so encouraging to hear that across the globe we are in our little work areas dressed quite similarly, working on similar projects, and "wearing" much of the same remnants of said projects. :ohyeah: Give you warm fuzzies, doesn't it? 

Looking forward to seeing your projects, Deb!

Debbie I have had two houses shipped over.

One from DHE, that was the Grosvenor Hall and basement it came in 7 boxes and was here in a week. I think the shipping was something like 150 UK sterling (sorry I don't have the correct sign on my pooter) but considering the size and  price of the house I didn't think it was too bad. The quality is superb so I think in this case you get what you pay for.It is as tall as I am.

The second one was from e bay and it was described as a DHE house ,fairly big, maybe a tad smaller than your Garfield and it was built  it had tons of furniture that I didn't really want but had no choice. It is a nice house, double fronted bay windows up and down, very 1930's which is what I wanted. I presumed it was a discontinued DHE as it was no longer available and was very disappointed when it came as it wasn;'t the house I thought it was. It is nice , well it will be when I redo it the way I want it, I think the shipping on that was 120, DHD will ship over and pretty much all their houses ship at 150 which is too much for the little ones.

If I can find a Kates cottage I will go for it but after that I doubt I will do it again, unless I come across as I might next year, I may then bring stuff back with me if something catches my eye or  I would have it shipped as in on a ship and the weight doesn't matter, it then goes by cubic foot and I can pack a great deal in 4 cubic foot LOL. I have crossed the Atlantic three times now.

Is Radcliffe on Trent somewhere near you, we were stationed there many years ago ( RAF)

Jeannine, considering I was quoted £60 to ship a very small doll house from London to here in Derbyshire I would say the shipping costs you paid were a bargain. The grosvenor is a beautiful and very large house.  I did see it on display at the dhe shop when it was still open a couple of years ago. Sorry you were disappointed with the 1930s house and I do hope you get it the way you want it. I've often drooled over the Mountfield with the thought of setting it during the 30s/40s.....in fact I've promised myself I will one day...:D

Radcliffe on trent is only about half an hour by car from me. Hubby used to work there many years ago.  I live in the little town of ilkeston  -  I don't know if you've heard of ilkeston fair? We're on the notts/derby border... 

Take care! Debs 

3 hours ago, Dizzylizzy said:

...I've often drooled over the Mountfield with the thought of setting it during the 30s/40s.....

I used Jane Harrop to furnish my farmhousehttps://www.amazon.com/Thirties-Forties-Miniatures-12-Scale/dp/B0064XCT4C

This house is similar to the Moutfield so maybe I will use it as 30.s one day.

When we lived in that area John was staioned at North Luffenham and we had two addresses before getting married quarters, I think West Bridgeford rings a bell, then Oakham then finally to the camp near Edith Weston.

I know the big fair, the Nottingham Goose Fair  is that the same one, after Nottingham it went to Hull which is where  I was born and lived as a child. Hull was it's last stop before the fair closed down for the season and it was huge as everyone met up there even if they hadn't travelled with the fair on all it's stops earlier . I loved going there.The smells and the music and the lights, for one whole week..memories.

There are two Mountfields on e bay right now, one has been on a long time..too expensive but the other one is on auction and is a fair price so far.

Pictures are of the UK house bit cropped but you can see I think and alongside it the Mountfield

new dollshouse 1 (2).jpg

mountfield.jpg

Thanks for the links Holly and Deborah I love Jane Harrop kits. There lovely quality and I can't wait to pick up some of her new retro kits at next months miniatura. Not quite sure where I'll use them but I'm sure I'll find room for them somewhere!

Jeannine, yes it's the same fair. Arrives here a couple of weeks after its finished at Nottingham. I've not been since the kids were little but yes, lots of memories. :D 

That's a lovely house and I'm sure it'll give you a lot of pleasure renovating it. It looks larger than the Mountfield...I look forward to seeing what you do with it.