Tape wire

Mary11

Apply clear tape over it and the connecting eyelets then you can prime over the tape. I haven't always primed it but it is recommended.

i live in a salty environment so it is important to keep the salt air away from the connections, that's why I tape it plus it keeps the eyelets from coming loose.

• Like 1

Just now, jbnmini said:

Sable- do you use the clear packing tape?  Would that be better than using masking tape?

I've found that the stickum on masking tape will dry out over time and cause the tape to let go. I'd opt for the clear packing tape.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017, 7:53:04, Sable said:

Yes, clear packing tape.

Hi, Sable.  I probably already know the answer to this, but can clear packing tape be used to connect a light fixture wire to the copper tape run?  Others have mentioned using either eyelets or solder to connect light fixtures.  I would like to try soldering, but I have never done it before and I am afraid the solder would leave a lump.   However, if I tried using clear packing tape, it would probably be hard to remove if the light fixture needed to be accessed for repair.  

1 hour ago, mks said:

Hi, Sable.  I probably already know the answer to this, but can clear packing tape be used to connect a light fixture wire to the copper tape run?  Others have mentioned using either eyelets or solder to connect light fixtures.  I would like to try soldering, but I have never done it before and I am afraid the solder would leave a lump.   However, if I tried using clear packing tape, it would probably be hard to remove if the light fixture needed to be accessed for repair.  

No. In order to make a connection you need to have a solid permanent contact with the tapewire. The eyelets provide the best contact because they touch more of the copper tape's surface area. Packing tape over a wire could easily come loose if the wire is slightly pulled. An eyelet locks the wire in.  I can't speak for soldering since I'm terrible at it. 

1 hour ago, Sable said:

I can't speak for soldering since I'm terrible at it.

As the former owner of a stained glass shop, I can speak to this. The trick it to use just a touch of solder. It doesn't need to be a big blog to be functional, just enough to cause the wire to stick to the tape. The best results for mini soldering comes with using soldering irons meant for electronics work. They have mini heads. Some are battery operated. Regular sized irons, like the ones used by plumbers and stained glass workers, are incredibly difficult to use for mini work. Sort of like using a sledge hammer to drive in a carpet tack. :D 

• Like 1

Also, never touch the solder to the iron tip. That will cause it to run onto the tip. Heat your surface and wire, and then touch the solder to the heated surface, and it will "flow" and make the connection. Not letting it get hot enough, or forcing it, or having it pool on the tip are some of the things that can make it clump up.

19 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Also, never touch the solder to the iron tip. That will cause it to run onto the tip. Heat your surface and wire, and then touch the solder to the heated surface, and it will "flow" and make the connection. 

This is what I'm doing wrong!!!

Do you suggest leadfree solder?

Oh yes, do remove the plastic on top of the copper so you are soldering metal to metal. Forgot that, thanks Sable!

The solder I have is leaded. I've had it for a long time, I don't solder too much anymore. Just always wash your hands afterwards. I've not ever used lead free solder, but I'm sure it's fine. You'll also need some flux, but you can get solder with a flux core.

There are two kinds of solder with flux cores. The acid core is for plumbers. The rosin core is for electronics. Check the labeling to be sure what you buy is designed for electronics/electrical work. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017, 3:48:46, Sable said:

No. In order to make a connection you need to have a solid permanent contact with the tapewire. The eyelets provide the best contact because they touch more of the copper tape's surface area. Packing tape over a wire could easily come loose if the wire is slightly pulled. An eyelet locks the wire in.  I can't speak for soldering since I'm terrible at it. 

Hi, Sable,

I bought the eyelets and an awl to connect my light fixtures to the tape run and it worked well.  It was a little tricky getting the wire around the eyelet, but once I got past that, the lights all worked with no problems.  Thanks, again, for your advice.  

1 hour ago, mks said:

Hi, Sable,

I bought the eyelets and an awl to connect my light fixtures to the tape run and it worked well.  It was a little tricky getting the wire around the eyelet, but once I got past that, the lights all worked with no problems.  Thanks, again, for your advice.  

Excellent!