Advice on furniture colors - any advice welcome

Elsbeth

So I wallpapered with a paper that I LOVE, but I didn't think about what furniture to add to the room. I'm horrible with interior design.

If you are inclined - please look at this pattern and tell me what you would do. The period of the house is "in the past" - no later than the 30s, and the house style is a 1880s farmhouse. This paper in the "parlor"/sitting room. The ceilings are tall victorian ceilings, but the house is a farmhouse - I guess the house wanted a fancy sitting room - because it asked for this paper.

I thought about the standard red victorian set, but I think the red would be overwhelming. Green too bright? Help!

61LspPp0ftL._SX300_.jpg

I agree- I love sage green and would use it in the furniture and curtains with some golden yellows. If you want to accent with red, be sure to use something more in the burgundy shade.   Dark woods would look very pretty with this paper, but to keep the room from feeling too dark you could maybe try a medium tone wood. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgwyn said:

I'm not good at design either but I do love the wallpaper.

I have always loved this paper, but never found a house to use it on - and now years later it is in a farmhouse. Pasted on. No getting out of it now.

I too would go for the pale sagey green but I would draw out the yellowy color too, maybe in a rug, cushions or a throw but I would keep it soft. Depending on just how yellow it is, it is hard to tell from the picture, you may find you can soften it a bit and use it for a chair..but stay within the same area with the color. Yellow is a difficult one it can be anything from cream right through to gold, some of them are greeny, some are beigy and some are orangey so it would depend,  If a diluted color of the yellow is doable I would use it somewhere but I wouldn't go stronger for anything big, I really like the wall paper by the way.I would not use it if orange though.

My mother had a "Victorian living room  (in her modern house) she had a wingback chair upholstered in yellow brocade on the front and gold velvet on the back.  With that wallpaper those colors would work.  PS... I really loved that chair.  Which is now sitting in storage.   It turned out humidity in Missouri caused the dry wood from California  to swell just enough to split the upholstery.    ALL the antique furniture has to be re upholstered. 

• Like 1

Doll House Miniature Green Velvet Sofa-  Sonia Messer Imports- Colombia

If you could find one of these Victorian sofa's in green, that would work.. This one is a Sonia Messer and rare.. but I have seen the concord ones come up occasionally. I think Brae (otterine) has a green Victorian sofa in her mill. 

I have that green sofa by Sonia, really cute. 

There's a Victorian living room furniture kit by real life miniatures that looks decent? Hard to tell from the box picture..Then you could pick your own fabric and wood finish without having to redo an existing set. 

• Like 1