I'm hooked! Hi from League City, TX

Debbie_Lynne

Hi everyone!

For years my daughter heard me say that one of these days I would have a dollhouse.  This past Christmas she gave me a kit for Victoria's Farmhouse.  Oh my goodness!  I never expected so many parts! 

I wasn't able to start on it until March, but last week I finished building it!  I am now working on the inside.  I am having so much fun!  Little did I know I would learn so many other hobbies.  Polymer clay, paper crafting and am amazed I actually used a miter box! 

I am currently looking for patterns for building kitchen cabinets in 12:1 scale.  I can build a "box"  but how to measure so that shelves fit.  Ok, in all honesty, besides knowing how to use a ruler, saws and glue, I have no idea how to build them.  Any suggestions?

finished building dollhouse.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Debbie,

Welcome.

Kris Compas has an awesome blog and tutorials about all sorts of furniture.

There is an old kit available on eBay by Realife miniatures that is a full kitchen, and Houseworks has individual cabinets as well.

Look around Youtube, there are tutorials galore.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Welcome Debbie. :wave:

You've done a wonderful job on your house! 

Are you wanting do do a modern style kitchen for your house? Do you need opening doors and drawers? If you do, the houseworks components are great. You can buy them mostly assembled or as a kit. If you don't there are some great tutorials out there to build some really fancy beautiful modern kitchens out of matt board. Easy cutting :D 

Love your colour choices, I'm sure whatever you do your interior will be just as beautiful.

Welcome to the little family, Debbie.  I also like to make everything that I put into my houses.  If you want to make custom fit cabinets you can take a page from my book; I get measurements of 1:1 items and round off the feet to inches and look at what's in my house (like my kitchen for cabinets).  Michaels used to sell wooden hutches that came apart and the bottoms made nice lower cabinets, the uppers worked for dishes.  Otherwise, I'd just go from "scratch".  Mat board wok terrific if you're going for painted cabinets & cupboards.  When I want wood I like 1/8" thick basswood because it cut easily wit a utility knife and takes stain beautifully.

From one Debbie to another.....welcome! I'm new here too. :D And oh wow, what a stunning House!  It's lovely. I too, love to make my own things...though I'm not very good but I do enjoy it! For the modern kitchens I've manged to knock together myself I usually fit them around appliances if I've bought them. I'm a sucker for the miele range. :DAs Carrie has mentioned though there are some fabulous tutorials out there too......