Regarding shows

Thimble Hall

I see online that there is one in Burnaby, BC on Sunday, October 1st called West Coast Dollhouse & Miniature Show & Sale.  The address given is 4333 Ledger Ave, Burnaby, BC V56313.  Will try to post the link.  I don't really know anything about this show.  I plan to go to the Portland Miniature Show Oct 1st.  The Seattle show is in the Spring.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/west-coast-dollhouse-miniature-show-sale-burnaby-bc-tickets-37560253730

I heard the Seattle Show is great - Portland Show is smaller but has its own charm (I never miss it!).

I think 3 hours of driving would be my limit for a show. And I'd make a weekend of it, so it wouldn't be cheap, but it would be comfortable.

Jenn, I have only started driving again after a few years absence apart from the 5 minutes to Johns care home and I am trying to expand my circle.I have managed to drive over the border which is the furthest I have been in a while I would have to make a weekend of it too if I went to Seattle., I think it is about 250 miles from me but it sounds like a million.but who knows maybe I can stretch it for next year. Who on this forum goes. I used to drive hours to dog shows but that was a long time ago.. Oregon is my favorite place in the  world but I doubt I could do an 8 hour and I would have to take my Chihuahuas with me too but one never knows. I wish I had a very little RV and I could just go where I pleased without worrying.

10 hours ago, Jeannine said:

It's a 2 1/2 hour drive to Seattle and an 8 hour drive to Portland, no flghts

Think about doing the Seattle show as an overnight adventure. Can you not board the chihuahuas or have someone come in to look after them while you're away? I used to work with a chihuahua rescue group, fostering and finding forever homes. I found it difficult to leave them in the care of someone else when I traveled, but they never seemed to mind. :) 

If not this year, then next or the next - you can do smaller things in between to get prepared for the bigger events. It sure seems like we will continue to have more shows in the future - the Portland show hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, and I'm pretty sure the Seattle Show is here to stay. So don't feel like you have to rush it.

Shows are a lot of fun, but like Holly said, be sure to bring some money! There's always all kinds of fun neat things you didn't know you needed.

Is the show in BC that was posted above close enough for you to drive to? (I'm with you on the driving thing btw... Luckily my mini store and both shows are right at an hour from me, and that's about as far as I would probably want to go.) 

Since the Seattle show isn't until the spring, that gives you about 6 months to work up to that distance, and make plans for traveling.

Or, you can just fly to Atlanta, and we'll go to the show here together next week! :) 

Thnks Gals, I think could leave my babies with my best friend for a few days, she is wonderful with them, or I could maybe get someone to coma and stay at the house and I do intend to expand my driving.

Sparkly don't tempt me. I have never been further south than Oregon and Reno and would love to see other parts of the the US

Christine I am so sorry I missed your post, yes Burnaby is within my area and I could probably make that quite easily..thank you I will check it out right now.

Took a look, long drive, heavy traffic not a lot of dealers advertised..not sure now

The three biggest shows in the US are the Chicago International (plus two other shows in the area at the same time) in April; the Philadelphia Miniaturia in November; and the Good Sam Showcase of Miniatures in California (in less than 3 weeks, can't wait!!!).  If you are going to go to just one show really make it worth it and have a once in a life time unbelievable experience whether you have to fly, take a train, bus, drive or whatever.  Make hotel reservations early (preferably in the show hotel so you can drop off packages and take breaks in your room), buy a ticket for the preview show (for the first two mentioned as things sell fast), check out the workshops and plan to have the best time ever!

Chicago international for sure. I'm actually scheming to get to next years at the moment. I checked the Cubs tentative schedule for 2018 and found that they are playing a six game run at Wrigley Field on the same days as the shows.... I may have just put the schedule in front of DH, with said games highlighted... :giggle:

If its any indicator of his love for the cubs.. Our dogs are named Wrigley & Cubbie, he has the cubs logo tattooed on his arm, no kidding! And he flew all the way from Australia to attend game 3 of the World Series last year. :blush:

I might be able to swing it with the bribe of game tickets.:bigwink:

Well my first thought was what do I know about these places and that is from from the movies  .mm  Chicago windy and full of mobsters, Philadelphia ..brotherly love and Rocky Balboa, San Jose  warm and friendly with lots of Mexican food.   Now Ok you can put me straight . I clearly no very little about anything much past Oregon.

Are these one day shows ? What is there to do apart from the shows.  If I am going I am going for a few days so I have to pick wisely..weather, etc. I am way out of my depth here and I am  not so adventurous  now I have to travel alone. Apart from Europe we only went to  those places we could drive in a RV  to  which was almost to California  one year..

Samantha  good luck I have a very strong feeling you will make it.

Jeannine, I have not been to the Philly show as I don't fly east in the winter, don't want to get stuck somewhere due to weather, but have been to Philadelphia and there are a lot of historical sites to see if you are interested in US history.  Someone that lives in the area will have to fill you in for more info.  Most of the times I have been to Chicago International there has at least been some rain.   Outdoor tourist type things don't really open until after the first part of  May.  There are the Thorne  Rooms at The Art Institute of Chicago and Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle at the Museum of Science and Industry.   Weather for the Good Sam show will most likely be perfect.  About an hour south you can visit the Monterey/Carmel area and about an hour north of course San Francisco.  If the show is not enough minis for you there are two mini shops, Dollhouses, Trains and More about 20 minutes north of San Francisco and Shellie's Miniature Mania about 30 minutes north of San Jose.   I attend Good Sam every year because it is within driving distance.  I have been attending Chicago International since 2005 (not every year though).  

5 hours ago, Samusa said:

Work it, girl! :cheer: 

4 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Well my first thought was what do I know about these places ...  Now Ok you can put me straight . I clearly no very little about anything much past Oregon.

The Chicago shows have Friday night previews, run all day Saturday and half a day Sunday. They are held in the suburbs, and without a vehicle it is hard to get around. If you stay at the show hotel, there would undoubtedly be an airport shuttle that would get you to the train that would take you into downtown Chicago, where you could visit the Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry. The downtown area is fairly compact, and you have time before spring to check out what else you might like to see and plan your expedition. Just those two would make a good day's outing, even if you concentrated only on the miniature exhiibits. Taxis between them and the train station wouldn't be exorbitant if you don't want the added challenge of public transportation. 

15 hours ago, Samusa said:

Chicago international for sure. I'm actually scheming to get to next years at the moment. I checked the Cubs tentative schedule for 2018 and found that they are playing a six game run at Wrigley Field on the same days as the shows.... I may have just put the schedule in front of DH, with said games highlighted... :giggle:

If its any indicator of his love for the cubs.. Our dogs are named Wrigley & Cubbie, he has the cubs logo tattooed on his arm, no kidding! And he flew all the way from Australia to attend game 3 of the World Series last year. :blush:

I just had a great idea.  My husband's brother lives in Chicago and we might need to go visit him in April.  That would be a load of fun if we could all meet up at the show.

There is a train station right behind the Marriott as I understand.  Have never taken it as we always have a rental car.  But I have heard of many people taking the train from the hotel into downtown Chicago.  The Marriott has a shuttle to and from O'Hare which is only about 2-1/2 miles.   There is also a free shuttle that goes between all three shows except on Sunday the Bishop show is the only show held on Sunday and the shuttle service is provided by the other two shows.  The Chicago International preview show is all day Friday it was changed from Friday evening five years ago.  The Miniature Show runs Thursday, Friday and Saturday with their preview show Thursday afternoon.  The Three Blind Mice Show runs same days as The Miniature Show no preview show.