Suitcases

Sable

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

It's perfect!  How on earth did you "do" the "nails" in the corners?  And some of the 1:1 luggage looks to me like the carcases are covered with fabric, and only use leather (or vinyl, probably) for the strapping.

The nails are brads from my electrical stash. I used upholstery pins to pre drill the holes and a hemostat to push the brads straight in. 

My father was an airline pilot. I've decided to make s replica of his flight case. I'm sure you've seen pilots walking around with them in airports. They are big boxy cases that hold their flight manuals and navigation charts. Now they have wheels but in my Dad's day they lugged those things by hand. No wonder he has back problems. 

Anyway, I'm making it out of black leather and I'm trying to figure out how I can engrave his name in it in gold lettering. I tried printing it on with the color printer but it is too light.  There is no way I can hand write it that small. Any suggestions? 

48 minutes ago, Sable said:

My father was an airline pilot. I've decided to make s replica of his flight case. I'm sure you've seen pilots walking around with them in airports. They are big boxy cases that hold their flight manuals and navigation charts. Now they have wheels but in my Dad's day they lugged those things by hand. No wonder he has back problems. 

Anyway, I'm making it out of black leather and I'm trying to figure out how I can engrave his name in it in gold lettering. I tried printing it on with the color printer but it is too light.  There is no way I can hand write it that small. Any suggestions? 

As a former Flight Attendant. I love this idea. :D

2 hours ago, Sable said:

...I'm trying to figure out how I can engrave his name in it in gold lettering. I tried printing it on with the color printer but it is too light.  There is no way I can hand write it that small. Any suggestions? 

I wonder if you could print his name out in black (on the computer, really small) and get some gold transfer medium and trace over the letters (like carbon copy, only  in gold leaf on the black leather)?  You'd need a really teensy stylus, though.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I wonder if you could print his name out in black (on the computer, really small) and get some gold transfer medium and trace over the letters (like carbon copy, only  in gold leaf on the black leather)?  You'd need a really teensy stylus, though.

That's a good thought, I actually have gold leaf somewhere. I also found tiny brass alphabet letters I bought at the Kensington show but I think they may be a bit too large.

The case is finished. Tomorrow I'm going to make the notebooks to make flight manuals to place inside. I'm going to print tiny navigation charts also. 

I don't think I mentioned this but I'm making it for my 87 year old father. He was so impressed with the carryon suitcase that I thought he would enjoy getting a mini from me. Shhh it's a surprise.

10 hours ago, Sable said:

My early morning mind is trying to grasp a fleeting thought. I vaguely recall some kind of heat-activated medium that will adhere to a printed surface but not one with no ink. I'm thinking you could print out the name on clear acetate or similar and treat with the gold stuff. Somebody help me out here. I am pretty sure I didn't dream this up, but can't recall the details.

I think the medium came in sheets and am pretty sure that it was run through a laser printer or copy machine to activate it; it didn't work with an inkjet printer. I had several sheets in metallic red, blue, gold, silver, etc. I can't even remember what I used it for.  <reaching for a second cup of coffee>

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

My early morning mind is trying to grasp a fleeting thought. I vaguely recall some kind of heat-activated medium that will adhere to a printed surface but not one with no ink. I'm thinking you could print out the name on clear acetate or similar and treat with the gold stuff. Somebody help me out here. I am pretty sure I didn't dream this up, but can't recall the details.

I think the medium came in sheets and am pretty sure that it was run through a laser printer or copy machine to activate it; it didn't work with an inkjet printer. I had several sheets in metallic red, blue, gold, silver, etc. I can't even remember what I used it for.  <reaching for a second cup of coffee>

Jet lag?  (or whatever the automobile version is)

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

I think I know what you are referring to. I recommended something like this to my brother when he was making decals for model trains. 

Although they are a tad too large, I'm going to go with the brass letters. I'm just going to use his initials.

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Jet lag?  (or whatever the automobile version is)

General overload of stress and anxieties of moving, I think. The drive was really rather relaxing.

• 4 months later...