Suitcases

Sable

Because of Irma, I was forced to clean up my interior and garage work areas. Today I must have realized that my interior work area was too clean and organized so it was time to mess it up again. Our club is making suitcases to display at our annual show in March so I figured I'd get a start on that.  I went to Michaels to pick up findings for embellishments and wheels. I made a box frame out of basswood with a Tyvek hinge. Now I'm digging through my fabric stash trying to figure out how to design it.   I might have to make a few of them because I have so many different design ideas.

Curious here, I have a huge box of leather  scraps, I used to use them for doll shoes and  teddy bear feet and I bought it buy the pound. My first thought is that some of it is very thick, do you use a special type of leather or thin it by scraping the underside ?? This is something else that was destined for the thrift store till Holly told me not to throw anything out .

7 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I don't have any faux leather just all colors  and thicknesses of real..For very tiny dolls shoes or teddy feet I used to shave the soft side If you don't mind me copying you I would love to see some pictures of your cases.

If I ever finish one which I'm happy with you may copy away.

I'm getting there. Maybe the first one will be finished tonight. The trim leather has a backing on it which I found was too think for the corner decoration. Just before dinner I realized that the backing comes off very easily with good old Xylene. I am the queen of Xylene but I don't recommend that anyone else use it without rubber gloves and good ventilation. So after I redo the corners and create a wheel system, the first suitcase will be revealed. Maybe.

It's perfect!  How on earth did you "do" the "nails" in the corners?  And some of the 1:1 luggage looks to me like the carcases are covered with fabric, and only use leather (or vinyl, probably) for the strapping.