Front Opening Dollhouse Suggestions!!

Amber Celeste

Hello, I haven't been on here in quite a while!  I'm looking forward to getting caught up on what everyone's been up to!

I recently finished my first dollhouse, a half scale Jefferson ( it only took about 9 months, I'll try to load some pics next time I'm at my computer :P) and I'm ready to move on to a 1:12.

I really want a front opening house and one sturdy enough to be played with occasionally.  I really like both the Corona front opening houses but they are out of stock currently.  I sent an email to see if they will be back anytime soon.  In the meantime do any of you have any suggestions?!?!  The style of the Corona ones would be ideal but I'm open to other styles too as long as they are sturdy and not too ornate.

Thanks!!

I had an RGT house (front opening federal manor) - it was quite sturdy and cabinet-like. It was too large and heavy for me. Also, on the really large houses, those doors can really swing wide unless they are sectioned into smaller doors. But, I do love the antique look and feel of the front-openers.

Outside of the Greenleaf/corona offerings, have you looked at Dollhouse Emporium? They are in the UK, but lots of nice front opening kits there and sometimes some good sales. http://www.dollshouse.com/

You could also enclose a lot of Greenleaf houses by adding your own materials to the back. I love how this artist added a removable back onto the Glencroft - to enclose it:

http://tynietoy.org/ArchiveMyCollection.html

TudorExt.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I had an RGT house (front opening federal manor) - it was quite sturdy and cabinet-like. It was too large and heavy for me. Also, on the really large houses, those doors can really swing wide unless they are sectioned into smaller doors. But, I do love the antique look and feel of the front-openers.

Outside of the Greenleaf/corona offerings, have you looked at Dollhouse Emporium? They are in the UK, but lots of nice front opening kits there and sometimes some good sales. http://www.dollshouse.com/

You could also enclose a lot of Greenleaf houses by adding your own materials to the back. I love how this artist added a removable back onto the Glencroft - to enclose it:

http://tynietoy.org/ArchiveMyCollection.html

TudorExt.jpg

Thanks!

I am kind of considering on of the RGT front openers, but it's not the style I really want, more of a farm house.  I will have to look for the federal manor style!

I had never looked at Dollhouse Emporium!  Their dollhouses look amazing!!  I wonder about the shipping costs to Washington State though!!  I will have to inquire!  

I had thought about enclosing one myself but I don't think I'm handy enough to do it myself and have it look as nice as I'd like! :P

19 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

18 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

I have the Real Good Toys front opening Alison Jr, but I haven't put it together yet. RGT do a few front opening kits I think.

I will have to look more carefully.  The Alison Jr. Is the only one I saw when I looked.  I am considering in too, but it's more of a farm house look than I'd like.  Although a farm house would be fun too!  Decisions! Decisions! :)

I had the Federal Manor - not so much Farm House.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Good-Toys-Federal-Manor/dp/B00BZAJU6Y

But it was so huge! Too much house for me! lol! I had great plans for the 3rd floor nursery and nanny's quarters, a library a garden room...there was room for it all with that house. I was going to have a huge kitchen with addition opening into the house...but alas I never got to it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I had the Federal Manor - not so much Farm House.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Good-Toys-Federal-Manor/dp/B00BZAJU6Y

But it was so huge! Too much house for me! lol! I had great plans for the 3rd floor nursery and nanny's quarters, a library a garden room...there was room for it all with that house. I was going to have a huge kitchen with addition opening into the house...but alas I never got to it.

Thank you for the link, it seems to be out of stock everywhere I am looking though unfortunately.  It is gorgeous and huge!!  It might be ambitious for only my second dollhouse but after doing 1:24 scale I really want to make something BIG! 

If anyone has one of these sitting around in their stashes they are willing to part with let me know!  I got an e-mail back from Dean saying they don't have plans to re-manufacture any of their front opening models or make anything like them in the foreseeable future.  :(

4 minutes ago, Amber Celeste said:

I got an e-mail back from Dean saying they don't have plans to re-manufacture any of their front opening models or make anything like them in the foreseeable future.  :(

Bummer. Glad I have the recently re-discovered Cheltenham in my stash!

• Like 1

Both of the Corona houses has been out of stock for a while now unfortunately. When I asked about it last, it wasn't on the active list for coming back anytime soon. I hope they bring it back because I want to make one and edit it into a "French Chateau" style.