Well fiddle faddle

L Swearengin

22 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

I can take two houses and turn them into one.  Please someone tell me why I'm having a Dickenson of a time putting two cardboard boxes together??????.   Packing boxes are not big enough for a house, actually MOST of the houses. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Lawanda, go on line and search packing boxes. You can find big ones. When I packed houses for the movers to take from Missouri to New Orleans, I wrapped them in bubble wrap in an inner box, then floated that box in plastic peanuts in a  larger one. Nevertheless, with the jarring of moving, there was still some damage. That's why all of my houses have hitched a ride in my car for the New Orleans-Atlanta move. The last two will go with me on Friday for the last trip. So far all are smiling.

I shipped the Mardi Gras float from Missouri to Texas via UPS. They built a wooden crate for it, but I was not impressed. When Lloyd and I went to Texas to set it up, there was a good bit of repair work that needed to be done. And it cost an arm and a leg to get it there, even though it went from one UPS store to another UPS store. We'd have been better off delivering it ourselves. Unfortunately, we had our own move to contend with so had to rely on a delivery service.

I had a huge heavy dollhouse shipped to me in a box that was made up of several other boxes...used probably 2-3 rolls of tape and a lot of packing material. The house was so cushioned by foam and peanuts and cardboard taped over doorways, etc - it was so well padded if it were to fall or have other boxes an top of it in the Fedex plane/train/truck. The box was so huge but the house made it through with hardly any issues (a cellar door came off, but I was able to reattach).

My kids own a moving company.   They have given us the biggest boxes they have.  I did get the Beacon Hill in an appliance box daughter saved for me.  I'm just having issues putting 2 boxes together by myself.  Got the country cottage and the general store boxed.  It's just a pain all alone.  They both  fit  ..almost in a "dish pack" box. They are thicker boxes.  I wrapped them with flooring underlatment. That stuff works great. 

Thanks all for letting me vent.  

We feel your frustration!  reminds of a moment several months ago when I was trying to frost a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting....after decorating wedding cakes for 25 years you'd think I was capable of frosting one stupid little cake for company!!??   LOL  If anyone had been watching me they would have thought I was a novice!  :dunce:   We all have our moments. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sable said:

The ups store has crate boxes.

Sable, I can't afford them. Remember, I'm trying to box up over 25 houses.  The smaller ones were no problem.   I'm wanting to put the big ones in the Mazda and navigator when we are actually moving.  I'm just worried about them being in storage for any time.  Beach house,  contemporary ranch, Newberg, cabin, willowcrest,  vineyard,  Brookwood,  San Franciscan and Mexican restaurant are still unboxed.   I think. Lol

Hi Lawanda,

There is a size box called a wardrobe box that is sold by UPS have you tried that size? It is relatively cheap about $11. I have shipped stuff in them from the USA to Jamaica with great results.

Edited by JAX

I have a Uline catogue in my hand,, I buy from now and again and they have everything and I mean everything for packing, transporting etc boxes, crates, bottles, bags, atpe etc etc you may find what you want there and the shipping is very quick,i

• Like 1

Real house isn't that big.  Lol just don't plan on sitting in the living room.  One bedroom in this old rent house has a little addition on the back, big enough for a twin bed.  There were 5 or 6 houses in there, 2 in the dining room,  3 in the craft room.  Haha.   It's just 2 of us in this house.   He has his "man cave" the rest is mine.  Lol

• Like 1

*ponders 12' x 10' room*  If Lawanda can fit that many houses into her place, surely I should be able to fit 25 houses into this room. Hmm.......

I think it's time we start petitioning Greenleaf to put out an adobe kit with a flat roof that is study enough to be used as a chair. Then other houses under glass can be used as end tables........and oh! The Garfield can go under glass and be the dining room table. I think I have this figured out!

• Like 2

Glad to be of help. They have never faulied me, and once you buy from them it seems you get a catalogue for life and it is more than 1/2 inch thick. I but tiny little ziplock bags from them  and moving boxes. It is a fascinating catalogue actually

• Like 1

Every antique table in my house holds a dollhouse.   My spouse build a table from MDF that rests on top a 1930s enamel fold out table it holds 4 houses.  I also put an 8x4 sheet of MDF on top my mother's massive desk. It holds 5 or 6 depending on how it's arranged.   Right now it's great for stacking boxes.

I've moved my houses more times than I care to count. One I had to give up (my biggest) before a move from California to Utah, there simply wasn't room..but I deeply, deeply regret that and if I had to do it over would have thrown something else away to make room for it...like the tv or something... 

One thing that helped with moving them was we had a 27ft travel trailer so they all rode in that. No damage, thank goodness. 

Anyway, I understand the headache...vent away anytime! 

• Like 1

Well, if you need help unpacking - I'm organized and got a boxcutter with spare blades. - Gimme a ring, I'll pm you my phone number. Can't help you packing, but unpacking is no problem.

• Like 2