Need your prayers if you are that way inclined

Hi All,

We've just had some terrible news. My SIL, the one that lives in Tampa and that I mentioned during the Hurricane Irma topic, has been in an horrific car accident in Chicago while on a work trip. She has life threatening injuries and is in surgery right now to try and save her. It's taken them time to stabilise her enough for surgery. We only found out this morning because by MIL was in the Netherlands on a holiday and news has been slow to get around the globe. Needless to say, I've just put my DH on a flight to Chicago. He will get their before their Mother will, just because of flight schedules and timezones. If you are inclined to pray, please put her on your prayer list. And also the families of her two work colleagues who tragically did not survive. 

Hug your loved ones, everyone. You never know when life will change irrevocably in a split second. 

This is an article on the accident. She is the 38 year old Tampa "man" ... reporters got it wrong.. nothing new there. :/

http://abc7chicago.com/2nd-person-dies-after-i-57-crash-near-manteno/2440702/

Thank you Sable, Carrie & Jodi.. you always think this kind of thing doesn't happen to your own family but it can and it does. 

The news is patchy but I know she has extensive head & facial injuries and her thoracic spine is broken. No word yet what that means in terms of her spinal cord. Unfortunately though, even at this early stage, it's clear that her injuries will be life changing. Not to mention how she is going to feel once she realises both her colleagues passed. Even though she is not responsible for this crash in any way, she was driving and I know she will feel a terrible guilt. She is also their boss so that will just compound the devastation.

DH is beside himself. She is his baby sister so you can imagine. 

Thanks Karin... I may follow him to Chicago in a couple of days. Once we have more news as to what we are facing. 

Will keep you all informed. All of your prayers are much appreciated. She is going to need them all. ((hugs))

Adding my thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

Good advice - to keep your family close while you have the opportunity. We just never know what's in store around the next bend.

I read the article, this type of accident has always been one of my worst fears on the road. It says sited for not reducing speed and avoiding an accident...assuming that is going to be changed to vehicular homicide? How awful. Some semi drivers don't seem to have enough respect for the damage that they can do. So sad for the families who lost their loved ones in this horrible way. So young too :(

I know Karin, I always try to stay away from semis.. and I really try not to get in between them.. But sometimes you can't avoid it. 

My husband told me as he was taxiing out that his step-dad believes the driver of the front semi has passed away also. He also is feeling quite violent towards the driver at fault, so I hope the law deals with him, because I don't need my husband or his step-dad doing anything stupid. I assume there will be lawsuits also.. This drivers life is ruined either way. Such a waste, and all for not paying attention to the road. All involved lives are completely changed forever.

As I was driving home from the airport a truck was tailgating me, I changed lanes, he changed behind me. It took me a good 5 miles to get rid of him off my tail. I don't know the details of the crash driver or his record but there are some real cowboys in the truck driving industry over here.. I assume it is the same in the states. (No offence meant to real cowboys).

Samantha, I am so sorry to hear that your family are involved in such a shocking accident and yes of course I will add her and her friends families to my prayer list, your husband too, in fact so many folks in this awful tragedy. I pray that God takes the hand of everyone involved until they are strong enough to hold the hands of their families.

You & you family, specially your SIL are in my prayers, Sam.  One of my nurse colleagues used to be a trucker.  Trucking companies terminate drivers who develop diabetes mellitus because there can be real problems if blood sugar spikes or drops too low; my friend quit and went to nursing school, but an awful lot of drivers don't or can't take another option.  We do our very best to stay out of the way of the big rigs on the road.

I believe the driver that passed away was from a separate accident which occurred today. The two accidents were merged into one article, a little confusing.

The headline is using your SIL's scene photo. Confusing:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily-journal.com/news/local/semi-driver-killed-in-crash-on-route/article_19253da4-fd51-5ade-8541-1876553afc13.amp.html

15 minutes ago, Sable said:

I believe the driver that passed away was from a separate accident which occurred today. The two accidents were merged into one article, a little confusing.

The headline is using your SIL's scene photo. Confusing:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily-journal.com/news/local/semi-driver-killed-in-crash-on-route/article_19253da4-fd51-5ade-8541-1876553afc13.amp.html

Thanks for clearing that up Sable.. there is a lot of patchy news going around at the moment.. Though I do see they have cleared up my SIL's identity. Maybe her unisex name had them flummoxed....So hard over here in Australia to try to scour the web for news. Everyone in the family is already en-route so un-contactable. Shawn literally called from the plane as it was taxiing with that news. So I'll be happy to relay a small bit of good news to him when he lands in LAX. 

Sam  I am sending many many prayers and hugs for your SIL and for all of you.  My prayers also go out for the families and friends of the ones who passed.  It is so sad.  If there is anything I can do please know I will try my best.  All I can offer is prayers.  Wish I could do more

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Samantha I have just passed it on to my international prayer chain hundreds of folks are active in it all over the world.

That's so kind of you Jeannine. Thank you!

40 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

Sam, I'm so sorry. Sending love to you and your family. There is not much left of the car.

Thanks Shannon.. no there isn't much left is there.. I've been just completely amazed all day that they were able to pull her from this wreckage in any state at all. We are all feeling incredibly lucky that we even have some hope. We are in a far better position than the families of her colleagues and we are very grateful for that.