Need your prayers if you are that way inclined

Thanks Kelli, Brae, Colleen, Amber, Joanne, Lawanda, Patti, Sarah, it's so nice to have a caring group of forum friends to vent to in a time of stress and worry. The cyber support helps more than you know. :) 

My husband is on the way to the hospital now. And all your prayers have been working. She is awake! She can't speak because her jaw is wired shut and she has absolutely no memory at all. But baby steps, right? :) 

51 minutes ago, Samusa said:

My husband is on the way to the hospital now. And all your prayers have been working. She is awake! She can't speak because her jaw is wired shut and she has absolutely no memory at all. But baby steps, right? :) 

Good to hear Sam - although the jaw wired shut sounds horrifying. Fingers crossed for more progress and good news.

Ok, so my DH has seen his sister and he feels much more hopeful now. She is still in the ICU and will be for some time but it looks like she will escape this accident with no severe long term injuries. Fingers crossed

It seems she was ejected from the car, (which probably saved her life) because she has literally no skin down the entire left side of her body. They will have to reconstruct her left ear as it has no skin and some of the cartilage was worn away from the road impact. She seems to have mostly broken bones (thoracic spine, collar, ribs, jaw, & one arm) & a severe concussion and no short term memory (she does recognise family members). Her injuries appear to be confined to her upper body, apart from skin loss & some large gashes on her upper legs. 

But the big one is, they believe there is no spinal injury to her back. :cheer: She is in a brace at the moment and will probably have surgery to fuse her vertebrae at some point soon. They have already reconstructed her jaw. And done some preliminary work to her face to minimise scarring. Amazing what they can do these days so we are very hopeful that she wont have to many visible reminders on her face. Somehow she managed to not knock any of her teeth out.. No idea how you can smash your jaw to pieces and retain your teeth but she has and that is a win in my book. :) 

We are all feeling incredibly grateful for the outcome so far and we hold more than a little guilt that we are the only family in this tragedy with this good news.

She doesn't remember that she has even been in an accident and has not asked about her co-workers (probably because she doesn't remember they were with her). The family have decided not to tell her anything until she is much stronger. 

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts.. All those good vibes from around the world are definitely helping. ((hugs))

Oh Sam! Thank you so much for the update! This is incredibly encouraging news, and in light of the situation, truly a miracle! Please continue to update, and I will definitely continue to send love and prayers as you all face the next steps. My son was in a major car accident when he was 15, nearly lost his arm, had skin removed from parts of his body to graft onto other parts, tendon and muscle transplants, and had to stay in the burn unit on morphine for a long time. I know the long and scary road you are facing. Hugs and love, my friend.

8 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Oh Sam! Thank you so much for the update! This is incredibly encouraging news, and in light of the situation, truly a miracle! Please continue to update, and I will definitely continue to send love and prayers as you all face the next steps. My son was in a major car accident when he was 15, nearly lost his arm, had skin removed from parts of his body to graft onto other parts, tendon and muscle transplants, and had to stay in the burn unit on morphine for a long time. I know the long and scary road you are facing. Hugs and love, my friend.

Wow, Jodi.. that's awful! How is he doing now? Did he have any long term effects? She will definitely need grafts, but I don't think she has any tendon damage. I assume they are keeping her in the ICU because of the skin issue. I believe it would be just like being burned. And you are very susceptible to infection with your skin off. 

And yes you are right. A true miracle given the circumstances. :)

Hi Samantha, your news brought tears of joy to my eyes, such wonderful news, she is a very lucky lady.

May I share a personal thought with you about guilt. I feel it  is an emotion one  should feel when one  has done something deliberately wrong, it simply does not apply here, please try and keep that thought in your minds .

You are all in my prayers.

XX Love Jeannine

4 hours ago, Samusa said:

Wow, Jodi.. that's awful! How is he doing now? Did he have any long term effects? She will definitely need grafts, but I don't think she has any tendon damage. I assume they are keeping her in the ICU because of the skin issue. I believe it would be just like being burned. And you are very susceptible to infection with your skin off. 

And yes you are right. A true miracle given the circumstances. :)

We were all incredibly lucky to have had a level 1 trauma center within 15 minutes of the accident, and the best hand surgeon in the country on staff. Ande is 28 now, and other than weakness in that arm and lots of scars he is as normal a kid as they come. When we got home from the hospital he told me to flush the narcotics so he didn't become dependent on them. Smart boy! I can't rave enough about the medical staff that took care of all of us really, from the EMT's on scene to the physical therapists that helped us through the next 18 months. Incredible folks who are where they are doing what they do for a purpose. I am sure your SIL is also in the best of hands!

That's all fantastic news Sam. It is amazing what they can do with reconstructive surgery these days. And don't feel bad about her surviving the crash as she has - it is better that two people died than three, even though it is terrible for the other families. I am sure they wouldn't have any ill feelings toward your family. 

Sam, read this with my heart in my throat after 10 hours on the road yesterday. So glad to hear the positive prognosis, at least physically, I become extra alert when one looms up behind me.  I try to avoid driving near large trucks, and hold my breath when I have to pass them. One slight veer over the lane line and disaster looms. Thoughts and prayers with your family.