Need your prayers if you are that way inclined

3 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

We were all incredibly lucky to have had a level 1 trauma center within 15 minutes of the accident, and the best hand surgeon in the country on staff. Ande is 28 now, and other than weakness in that arm and lots of scars he is as normal a kid as they come. When we got home from the hospital he told me to flush the narcotics so he didn't become dependent on them. Smart boy! I can't rave enough about the medical staff that took care of all of us really, from the EMT's on scene to the physical therapists that helped us through the next 18 months. Incredible folks who are where they are doing what they do for a purpose. I am sure your SIL is also in the best of hands!

That is amazingly lucky.. what are the odds on the hand surgeon.. this just goes to show that the hands of fate are so very random.. or you could call it Karma.. I'm sure you have built up lots of the stuff Jodi. :) I'm so glad he is well. And of course he's smart. He's got a smart Mum! :D

I'm sure Jamie is in the best of hands. They transferred her to Loyola University Hospital soon after the crash.. I hear it's one of the best in the region. And as this has been classified as a workplace accident, the company she works for have been very helpful, flying family in from all over. Not to mention covering all the medical expenses.

5 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Sam, read this with my heart in my throat after 10 hours on the road yesterday. So glad to hear the positive prognosis, at least physically, I become extra alert when one looms up behind me.  I try to avoid driving near large trucks, and hold my breath when I have to pass them. One slight veer over the lane line and disaster looms. Thoughts and prayers with your family. 

Oh gosh, Kathie... I'm glad you didn't see this before you left! Yes trucks are frightening and I'm finding myself even more hyper vigilant after this.Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts.  I'm glad you made it safely to you new home! :)

7 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Hi Samantha, your news brought tears of joy to my eyes, such wonderful news, she is a very lucky lady.

May I share a personal thought with you about guilt. I feel it  is an emotion one  should feel when one  has done something deliberately wrong, it simply does not apply here, please try and keep that thought in your minds .

You are all in my prayers.

XX Love Jeannine

3 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

That's all fantastic news Sam. It is amazing what they can do with reconstructive surgery these days. And don't feel bad about her surviving the crash as she has - it is better that two people died than three, even though it is terrible for the other families. I am sure they wouldn't have any ill feelings toward your family. 

Of course I know you are both right.. but our hearts are just breaking for the young graduates who were in her travel team. They had their whole lives ahead of them had got themselves through college, got a great job, were travelling the country with the world at their feet and in one moment... it's over... it's just so incredibly sad.. and just reminds me of how incredibly random life is. 

Hi Sam, I just read all of this about your sister in law, and after finish reading everything I feel relieve with the outcome for her. Very sad for the 2 young people who lost their lives at a so wrong time. I don't know if you are still planning to come to Chicago, but if you do I would like to visit you guys. I live just 1 hour far from the Loyola Hospital so I can get there pretty easily. Big hugs for all of you! 

10 hours ago, Samusa said:

That is amazingly lucky.. what are the odds on the hand surgeon.. this just goes to show that the hands of fate are so very random.. or you could call it Karma.. I'm sure you have built up lots of the stuff Jodi. :) I'm so glad he is well. And of course he's smart. He's got a smart Mum! :D

I'm sure Jamie is in the best of hands. They transferred her to Loyola University Hospital soon after the crash.. I hear it's one of the best in the region. And as this has been classified as a workplace accident, the company she works for have been very helpful, flying family in from all over. Not to mention covering all the medical expenses.

I'm sure Jamie is great hands! University hospitals in my experience are cutting edge! It sounds like an awesome company. It is so fortunate that they will be covering all of the medical expenses! They add up fast, and Out Of Pocket Maximum is not what you think it is in a major health crisis! 

9 hours ago, minilover62 said:

Hi Sam, I just read all of this about your sister in law, and after finish reading everything I feel relieve with the outcome for her. Very sad for the 2 young people who lost their lives at a so wrong time. I don't know if you are still planning to come to Chicago, but if you do I would like to visit you guys. I live just 1 hour far from the Loyola Hospital so I can get there pretty easily. Big hugs for all of you! 

Thanks Carmen.. she has a long road ahead of her, she will probably be in hospital in Chicago for some time before they transfer her back to Florida. I'm not sure if I will come over yet. I may come in the second wave, when the rest of the family need to get back to work and they need a new round of people to watch over her. I'll keep you posted. Would love to meet up, if I come. :)

I woke up this morning in a mad panic because I realised that in our hurry to get my DH on a flight to the US (4 hours from first phone call about his sister to departure time, and he's pokey at the best of times.) we did not purchase him travel medical insurance and he's in the USA!! YIKES! I've been madly running around the interweb organising that.. but he's covered now.. Phew! We've become a bit lazy about medical insurance over here as it's universal. The last thing I need is him taking a heart attack over there with no insurance. (He has very high blood pressure and the stress would not be helping). 

And in other terrible news, a dear friend's Father was killed in a workplace accident yesterday. I sure hope these things don't come in threes. 

3 hours ago, Samusa said:

Jamie has been moved today from ICU to a longer term high care ward.. whatever that is?? But it's a step in the right direction I believe. :)

That sounds like good news.  Hope her recovery continues to go well and your husband stays strong.

15 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

That is a very positive step! :cheer:

How's the hubs and family holding up?

Not too badly.. DH got into some bourbon the other night and then got on the phone to me and had a good cry... don't drink and dial I always say. :D

It's ok though.. he needed it.. He held himself together until he knew she would survive and then I think it all hit him and add that to the jet lag and the booze and well.. it was bound to happen.. 

Their Mum has been a bit of a mess, but as SIL makes progress she is coping better. My SIL has an incredibly calm personality, so she seems to be coping best of all. lol.. All the people around her are falling apart but she is just trucking along with whatever life throws at her.. :)

8 hours ago, Samusa said:

Not too badly.. DH got into some bourbon the other night and then got on the phone to me and had a good cry... don't drink and dial I always say. :D

It's ok though.. he needed it.. He held himself together until he knew she would survive and then I think it all hit him and add that to the jet lag and the booze and well.. it was bound to happen.. 

Their Mum has been a bit of a mess, but as SIL makes progress she is coping better. My SIL has an incredibly calm personality, so she seems to be coping best of all. lol.. All the people around her are falling apart but she is just trucking along with whatever life throws at her.. :)

You're a wonderful wife for understanding. Sometimes we just need a little drink to lube the "pent up emotion doors" to help them open and release. I was in such shock when my beloved grandma passed, taking care of everyone, that I couldn't cry for two months. Boy when I finally did, it was an epic one. Still keeping you all on my mind and in my prayers. Supporting loved ones in long hospital stays and major illnesses can be a living hell, like a bad "Groundhog Day" movie dream. Worry, monotony, boredom etc...

16 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

You're a wonderful wife for understanding. Sometimes we just need a little drink to lube the "pent up emotion doors" to help them open and release. I was in such shock when my beloved grandma passed, taking care of everyone, that I couldn't cry for two months. Boy when I finally did, it was an epic one. Still keeping you all on my mind and in my prayers. Supporting loved ones in long hospital stays and major illnesses can be a living hell, like a bad "Groundhog Day" movie dream. Worry, monotony, boredom etc...

Mmmm.. well maybe :D .. I'm not really a fan of "had a few to many" DH but I figured I'd give him a pass on this one. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about shock. When my Dad passed away, I couldn't cry at all and then I felt like people were judging me for not crying and I would try to pretend.. which was just weird and fake... but it was just so shocking, crying was the last emotion that came to me.. I was like a zombie.. numb... Long after the funeral about a month later.. I think I kind of had a bit of a nervous breakdown when it finally hit me... so strange what stress and grief does to your nervous system. 

And in breaking news.. Chest tube from the collapsed lung came out today. :D 

DH put Jamie on the phone to me today.. it was muffled because she was trying to talk through her wired shut jaw... but I distinctly heard.. "they took my chest tube out today... man, I really knew about that!!"

I guess that means it wasn't pleasant but, she is making huge strides. :D  She is amazing... so matter of fact on the phone.. she's my new hero.

Felt this news deserved it's own post. 

If I ever have to have a chest tube I hope they knock me out to remove it!  When I had my wreck I had to have both lungs reinflated and as I didn't have a tube, I got to blow in a little device to increase pulmonary pressure to get air back in them, and THAT was no picnic.  Your SIL will deserve all sorts of medals!