interior shiplap vertical or horizontal - decor advice please

Elsbeth

I'm doing horizontal in my San Franciscan. But my real life house has vertical panelling. :) If you are going for a farmhouse kitchen look I would do horizontal. Vertical is more Victorian (the era of my rl house :) )

Interesting question I've never thought about. I have shiplap going both ways in the same RL house. I have no modern day paneling at all. My house is an old (c.1850) house and parts of the shiplap are vertical and parts of it are horizontal. Proportionately there is more of it that is horizontal. I guess I've never really "looked" at before with an eye for the correctness. I've lived here for many, many, many years and never paid any mind to that. Weird. Mine is not painted. It has varnish type finish on it.

12 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Interesting question I've never thought about. I have shiplap going both ways in the same RL house. I have no modern day paneling at all. My house is an old (c.1850) house and parts of the shiplap are vertical and parts of it are horizontal. Proportionately there is more of it that is horizontal. I guess I've never really "looked" at before with an eye for the correctness. I've lived here for many, many, many years and never paid any mind to that. Weird. Mine is not painted. It has varnish type finish on it.

Oh interesting! My mini-farmhouse is sorta 1890-1900 style. I am drawn to the shiplap. I was thinking of doing sage green shiplap, but now that you mention yours not being painted...or maybe they'd have just done it in white. But I'm down with horizontal siding for sure - excited to have a direction.

16 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

My old farmhouse has vertical, the ceilings are also done with the same wood, I didn't realize that until I peaked up under the dropped ceiling.  My house was built in the early 1800's, probably about 1805-09.

Were they painted or natural wood?

From the looks of things they were at first natural wood, the dining room was at a later date painted, the ceiling is buttercup yellow under the raised ceiling.  The kitchen is natural wood, wider boards, but the dining room is narrow boards.  The floors are an interesting mix of narrow natural boards like the dining room, and wide painted boards like the living room.  The dining room had an ugly brown shag rug, when we picked that up there was one of those linoleum "rugs", and under that was a beautiful narrow hardwood floor. In the other rooms the walls are the old horsehair plaster and lathes, now covered with paneling that I am slowly removing.  The living room is going to be the hardest, you can tell the plaster has fallen by the bulge at the bottom.

I think one of the reasons vertical beadboard was a popular finish for the interior walls of the FL Cracker houses was that by being perpendicular to the exterior boards it minimized the drafts.  No I wonder if the interior horizontal  boards were laid so they covered the "seams" between the exterior boards...

• Like 1

Just in case anyone is interested in the original RL design of shiplap, I've tried to make an illustration.

Some folks call any wide horizontal or vertical boards shiplap but it's likely not true shiplap. I have lots of regular boards on the walls that are up to 20" wide (horizontal placements). None of those are shiplap, just wonderful wide old wood. Some of that is painted and some not. As to floor boards, I have them anywhere from 4" to 20" all in the same room. Some upstairs floors were painted which we have sanded down and sealed. I even have salvaged some very wide boards that were exterior underlayment that look like trees. They are curvy and still have the bark on them.

But back to the shiplap. As an exterior application it was cut to lap over the next board in order to shed water. In the illustration they would be horizontally placed. The Red would be a piece that overlapped the top edge of the blue piece. Each piece was cut that way - not tongue and groove. I had a huge go round with a builder over that one time when we were doing a repair. He had brought modern tongue and groove wood as replacement wood and tried to pass it off as shiplap. Boy was he surprised that his customer wasn't stupid!!

59c8692e4703d_Shiplap-Copy.jpg.c7296a29e

• Like 1

On 9/24/2017, 12:38:30, Elsbeth said:

Were they painted or natural wood?

At this particular time they are painted, but having replaced a lighting fixture I noticed that the original was natural wood varnished, the wood was quite dark so it is possible the varnish was a later addition.  There was, until 10 years ago, a hardwood flooring mill less then a mile away, they made flooring, shiplap, and some wider tongue and groove.  The flooring and shiplab made in the early 1800's was quite narrow compared to the later ones, found out that when looking for replacements to cover a register in the dining room.  This place is a constant suprise!