Thatching anyone done it?

Thimble Hall

I am interested in thatching but not using faux fur, I am thinking  coir but there may be something better, maybe the stuff in brooms..just guessing  out loud  here. Any ideas please to make it  look as realistic as possible. Very interested to know how you folks have done it. I have googled but so far I have mostly just found  pictures

The only time I've seen it on a dollhouse was at the Kensington dollhouse show in England. It had a lovely eyebrow window and was done to perfection. I just looked at the straw material on my broom and I think it's scale would be a little off. I'd go with the recommended coir for dollhouses.

18 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

That coir looks really cool! I wonder how you's clean it. Canned air?

I think if I were to make a thatched roof I'd coat it afterwards with a matt sealer to make it easier to clean.

• Like 1

Thank you, I saw the earth tree site and was wanting to compare to that.  The trouble with coir is the color is all wrong. I have thought of bristles out of dollar store brushes as I can get the color almost right/ I wouldn't want it sealed as the color would change over time if untreated just like a real thatched house and go quite dark, I might just grow some ornament al grasses next season .I have some in  the garden right now that would be just right but only a little

Thanks Holly of course you are probably right, I have never done it so I am guessing.

I am going to have a go at bleaching the coir to see what color it fades too what happens to it.

I like the idea of the eyebrow thatched cottage, but I doubt I would ever me that good. I will have a go though and try my best to make a decent job. It is the Glencroft I am thinking of to thatch by the way.

Holly I suspect I haven't seen a nice one, all the pictures of  ones I have seen so far look to me like a house with a hat on but that probably comes from many years of working with fur fabrics I see it  as something else..

I tidied up my house boxes today and for some reason didn't put the Glencroft away, it is  part of the trio I planned  but I intended to do the smaller two first.Then I thought I would just read the instructions, but oh boy, the feeling you get when you open up a new box. I had to fight with myself.

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

That house is magnificent a wonderful job,how on earth do folks come up with these ideas.

Deb's husband is an avid collector of Japanese militaria; something in that genre was inevitable. :D