Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

My sister texted earlier to ask if I'd like to come share a new recipe she making: chicken and lentil soup. I countered with sure, if you'll be a guinea pig for the pig's knuckles in tomato sauce that I'm experimenting with. Should be an interesting supper. :hmm: I should make some cornbread; would go with both, I think.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

My sister texted earlier to ask if I'd like to come share a new recipe she making: chicken and lentil soup. I countered with sure, if you'll be a guinea pig for the pig's knuckles in tomato sauce that I'm experimenting with. Should be an interesting supper. :hmm: I should make some cornbread; would go with both, I think.

Cornbread, most assuredly!

5 hours ago, grazhina said:

Cornbread, most assuredly!

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Cornbread goes with everything, especially soup & pork!  

Yep!  I made a  batch in my cast iron cornbread skillet (makes 8 wedges). It was well received. Both Helen's soup and my pork knuckles turned out well. 

Pork knuckles sound really good. The only way I have cooked them is in a soup. It is sort of Scotch Broth but made with pork rather than lamb,lots of barley  my Mum used to call it Yorkshire broth. They simmer for ages and when the meat starts to fall off  the bone we take the pieces out, remove the bone and the outer skin and put the meat back in.. I have heard of folks parboiling them then roasting them, that sounds great I may give that a try as I love the outside of them..

I think it may be a poached egg on toast night for me. I have eaten for the past 4 nights so am doing better.

Question for you Southern ladies..how do you cook your catfish.I  can only get imported frozen but it actually freezes well and is vacuum packed so I buy it, I usually batter it but I bet you gals have some cracking recipes for it. It has no skin by the way.

I cooked ribs the other night that turned out to be ginormous, so we put half of them back and I'm heating them in a raspberry-chipotle marinade and caramelizing a Vidalia onion to cook with rice & spinach for a side.

53 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Question for you Southern ladies..how do you cook your catfish

Not sure as I qualify as a Southern lady, having been born near Chicago, but I do whole catfish or catfish fillets in the microwave. Drizzle a little bottled Italian salad dressing in the bottom of a microwave safe casserole so they won't stick, then add the fish in a single layer, drizzle more dressing over them, cover, and zap 'em. Moist and flavorful.

Oh I love scotch broth, I make it a lot when I am cooking a lamb roast.  Tonight I an roasting beets with seriously purple carrots, my neighbor grows these carrots in his garden just for my critters lol. The horse and mini spotted “donkey” love them.  They are quite delicious but so dark purple that they stain your hands when peeling.  I made carrot soup and carrot fritters with them last year and they come out looking black.  I said at the time it would be cool to make regular carrot soup and purple carrot soup and swirl them together for Halloween soup lol.  I took out a 1/2 chicken breast to roast with the veggies, my chickens were huge when they went to the freezer this year, mostly in the 12-15 lb catagory so I had to cut on side of a breast in thirds to make a reasonable portions.

4 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...Question for you Southern ladies..how do you cook your catfish.I  can only get imported frozen but it actually freezes well and is vacuum packed so I buy it, I usually batter it but I bet you gals have some cracking recipes for it. It has no skin by the way.

Since DH & I have to watch our diets for cholesterol & BP I no longer deep fry anything, but we love us our catfish and I cook it several ways.  One is to rinse the fillets and dredge them in white cornmeal with some Tony Cachere's and pop them  on the broiler rack into a 350 degree oven and cook them until the coating begins to brown.  Another way is to dribble a little olive oil on parchment paper, coat the fillet on both sides, lightly salt & pepper it (sometimes I add a bit of dried green onion or chives),  wrap it and bake it for about fifteen or twenty minutes.  We get fresh farm-raised catfish fillets at the grocery store.  And occasionally I'll coat a preheated skillet with cooking spray and actually fry my cornmeal-coated fillets.  Since I no longer deep fry, I don't make hush puppies; but when we lived in Havana I was introduced to arepas at a Columbian restaurant in Tallahassee (I don't put oil in mine).

Thank you for the catfish recipes, I shall give all try. I could live on fish but the choices are poor which is odd as I live by the sea. The catfish  I can get is Basa , when I first saw it I thought it was a misprint of Bass but it didn't look anything like Bass so I looked it up and it is a type of catfish, imported and that worries me a bit but it is super fresh when defrosted and most fish doesn't pass that test for me as  I usually don't like prefrozen  fish. Sometimes I will freeze a bit myself but use it within a month and then it seems Ok but the fish that comes frozen usually tastes terrible to me. I like Haddock but can't get it here, Cod is iffy, Halibut is Ok but only seasonal and although I am surrounded by Salmon it is not one of my favorites other than I can it and use it like canned salmon. ,Recently I started to eat Tilapia , it comes fresh farmed and so far it has been good.. Beyond that I buy whatever I can  that is still swimming from  the Oriental supermarket, it is expensive usually but at least I know it is fresh.

You are all making me so hungry! I sure wish I lived with you all! I'd happily do all the KP!

I'm going to try and be a little more "domesticated" this week, so here's what's on the menu:

- Turkey breast, stuffing, baked sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce

- Sausage & Peppers sauce over rigatoni 

- Slow Cooker pulled pork on hoagies, homemade cole slaw & baked beans

- Breakfast for dinner: eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy

- Meat loaf & Stouffer's Mac & Cheese

- Homemade pizzas

The hubs requested "finger foods" for Thursday's Raiders/Chiefs game, so that will be mini corn dogs, Bagel Bites, Pizza Rolls and Alexia Sweet Potato Puffs.

And I've got an Omaha Steaks meal in the freezer: bacon wrapped filets and some potato dish that I should use up.

I saw this commercial and thought "I like this lady's attitude"! :evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EOnWmWWyes

Last night had some beef chili, tonight I eat early because I have studio time for stained glass. Thinking I'll reheat some of the chicken soup I made yesterday, with a grilled cheese sandwich. Had it in the crockpot all afternoon, and my mom said the smell was driving her crazy all day.

I just bought the yogurt, mint, lemon, walnuts, etc. for breaded  Persian Chicken fixings. It marinates overnight, so it will be tomorrow's dinner. The recipe calls for frying, but I am going to bake it instead.

• Like 1