Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

Jodi said - saw this commercial and thought "I like this lady's attitude"! :evil:

I was thinking today that want to be her. I want to be able to toss my guys a bag of chicken nuggets or a burger and fries  --  no muss, no fuss, no cleanup........especially after my husband remarks " you sure do make a mess in the kitchen", and when I reply that he's welcome to clean it up, he just continues on to his chair in the family room.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grazhina said:

Jodi said - saw this commercial and thought "I like this lady's attitude"! :evil: I was thinking today that want to be her. I want to be able to toss my guys a bag of chicken nuggets or a burger and fries  --  no muss, no fuss, no cleanup........especially after my husband remarks " you sure do make a mess in the kitchen", and when I reply that he's welcome to clean it up, he just continues on to his chair in the family room.

Oh Graz, I'd be long divorced if my care was rewarded with this kind of "words I'm not supposed to say". My temper would probably have landed him in the hospital and me in jail! :evil:

No where in the marriage vows does it say you shall feed them, and when met with expectation and insult instead of gratitude, I would surely let him starve. You are a far better woman, and deserve so, so much more than that! Big hugs! I'll appreciate you for them!

Oh and, just between you and me, don't Google "How To Poison Your Husband's Food". They check for that stuff when they find 'em face down in their gruel! :drool:

• Like 2

Thank you sweetie!  My son said the fajitas were really good.  :eatyum:

Husband has often said that maybe he should move himself out to the shed, and I told him I'll hook up a long extension cord to it so he can plug in his automatic recliner and live out there out of my hair.:cucumber:

• Like 2

I was going to go for the smothered bacon cheddar wine chicken tonight, but it needs cream in the sauce and I didn't have any cream. So I tried a new recipe: Ranch bacon cheddar potatoes in the crock pot.

https://www.centercutcook.com/slow-cooker-cheddar-bacon-ranch-potatoes/

I was supposed to use red potatoes and an envelope of Ranch dressing mix, but all I had were new potatoes and I accidentally got the Ranch dip mix instead. I also mixed the cheddar cheese and bacon when I tossed the potatoes. I think I may need to add salt to mine, but they're done now, so I'm gonna eat!

I made the Persian chicken yesterday. It is fabulous! Skinless, boneless thighs marinated overnight in yogurt, turmeric and garlic, then dredged in flour, mint, paprika, salt & pepper. The recipe called for frying, but I baked instead, 450 F for 30 minutes. Finish with lemon wedges and a sprinkling of chopped walnuts. Sooooooo good! I ate a couple pieces last night, will be taking the rest over to my sister's tonight. Have a feeling that reheating won't diminish the flavor. <salivating as I type!>

Ooo, Kathie!  I have everything except the mint & walnuts (think I could sub cilantro & pecans?)  I find that dishes with a mishmash of flavors like that are always better the second time!  I'm quartering a link of andouille sausage and wrapping the pieces in crescent roll dough with a bit of Swiss cheese for pigs in blankets.

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Ooo, Kathie!  I have everything except the mint & walnuts (think I could sub cilantro & pecans?)  I find that dishes with a mishmash of flavors like that are always better the second time!  

It was delicious the 2nd time around ... and there's some left for thirdsies tomorrow. :D  I don't see why the cilantro & pecans wouldn't work.  Blend the whole milk yogurt, turmeric and garlic to a smooth sauce to marinate the chicken. The recipe said to put it in a bow, but I put it in a large zip-loc bag. No muss, no fuss. It needs to marinate at least 3 hours, better overnight. Dizzle a little olive oil over the chicken before putting in the oven.

23 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I have substituted yogurt for cream in some recipes.

I didn't have any yogurt either. :cheezy:

Anyway, after a night without being able to sleep, I decided as long as I was still up and at 'em I'd take a trip to the Social Security office this morning. I stopped at the store on the way back and now I have cream, but no incentive. I'm just too tired to cook anything and I'm afraid if I sleep now, I'll be up all night again.

So I don't know if I'll make the chicken with cheese and bacon and a wine sauce tonight or not. Of course, maybe if I'd had the wine the night before, I would have slept...

Holy cow, I cooked again y'all! Still nothing amazing with lots of ingredients like the rest of you, but I cooked nonetheless.

I poured a little barbeque sauce over a pork tenderloin, then had baked beans and green beans. Now green beans I actually put a little effort into. I love them, but I can't stand canned beans. Usually. But mama taught me how to cook them decent. I like the flat ones, not the round ones. I rinse them very very good, then cook in butter, bouillon, and salt. And cook and cook them. I like to cook them for at least an hour, more if I have the time.

Funny story. First of all, my MIL is hard to deal with when she visits. Once every 3 years is plenty. Anyhow, she was here in May, and one night I cooked beans. She's very dramatic, especially with eating. "Oh, I don't eat much, I can't", yada. But yet she goes through all the cabinets looking for junk food. Well, when my husband was fixing her plate, she said she only wanted two beans. Wth? Why even bother. That was worse than just saying she didn't want any. So somehow I kept my composure and said, oh, you're going to want at least four, they are good beans. She ended up getting seconds.

The next night, we were discussing sides, and she asked for beans again. Luckily I happened to have more in the pantry!

OK, I made the smothered bacon cheese wine chicken tonight and I have to say, it's nothing to write home about. I couldn't get the sauce to thicken, so I don't know what I did wrong. Anyway, the next time I have chicken and cheese, I'll just stick to cheddar and bacon. Forget the wine and the fancy cheese. *sigh*

Thanks Holly. We knew it was time, but that doesn't make it better.

And I guess I misunderstood about dinner plans for tonight, and we're not cooking out after all. Apparently he's going to do that one night this week while I'm at mama's house every night visiting the grandson.

So not sure about tonight. Shrimp scampi sounds good, I actually bought the stuff for that today. But I hate to have that without Lawson, and he won't be home until late tonight.

Hmmm... Guess we'll see what comes up!

Well I ended up  2 days feeling very ill, followed by 2 full days in bed and a further 2 half up and half down  ,this is my first day up all day. The huge bag of ground pork that was destined for meatloaf or balls ended up in the crockpot with  a few jars of commercial spaghetti sauce which I use for community dinners. It simmered for 6 hours and went in the fridge, bagged and frozen the next day. I managed to lift the crock pot and the jars and by the time I had stirred it all in I was wasted but the meat got used,The option was to chuck it as I was too weak to stand in the kitchen and prep anything. I boiled a few eggs, so did eat a little .Cold  eggs when in the mood, cheese with an apple and a a spon of pate with crackers but it kept me going three days.

Today I cooked a small 2 rib prime rib roast with roast and mashed potatoes, Brussel sprouts and baked squash and I ate a full meal..yeah!!

I still feel ill though and my minis have come to a stop, I  managed to do a bit today .

I hate, absolutely hate being in bed, unless I am actually asleep I can't stand it so I have to be very sick to stay there. I was totally exhausted, unsteady on my feet, disorientated and felt I was going to fall down every time I stood or sat up, so I gave in  and rested. I used two sticks to get to the door to let my babies out periodically and of course got up to feed them, they are sulking though because they had to have some commercial meat which they hate..but after prime rib today I think they love me again. I guess not eating and not sleeping gets to you eventually.

My house looks disgusting, covered in dust, no vacuuming for about 10 days so I think I will phone one of those domestic cleaning companies tomorrow and get some one in. Never thought I would have to do that. Thank goodness I kept the dishwasher going.

Anyway tomorrow something with left over beef, probably just a sandwich.

Not a good week..but I managed to use the laptop in bed a little bit so found a few nice things.so that turns it into a better week.

• Like 1

I have been under the weather for the last week, tired of it too!  Feels like a combination of hay fever and cold or flu, the hay was really exploding with lots of pollen this year, I don’t usually get allergies this bad. Eating has been hit or miss for the last week, but I did make a big pot of French onion soup with red onions, yellow and leeks from the garden. Tonight I made pepper steak but with turkey breast strips, it is the first time something tasted delicious for a week!

• Like 1