Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

Making spicy ground beef vegetable stir fry on Asian noodles today

I thought this might be a good place to mention the best jarred pasta suce I've ever eaten. It's Guy Fieri Traditional Old Skool sauce. It's the only sauce I've never had to add things to to make it taste better. I bought some at Walmart a couple of years ago but they quit carrying it. Last week I happened to see it in another store, bought 4 jars, made chicken parmesan with it, then went back to the store and bought 6 more jars in case they quit selling it too. 

17 minutes ago, grazhina said:

Guy Fieri Traditional Old Skool sauce

I Googled it and got excited when a lot of Walmart sites came up only to discover it has been discontinued throughout the Walmart system.(I'd hoped that maybe some stores carried it or it could be ordered on line.) I did find it at amazon.com, for $7.50/bottle. Really? It's that good?

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

I Googled it and got excited when a lot of Walmart sites came up only to discover it has been discontinued throughout the Walmart system.(I'd hoped that maybe some stores carried it or it could be ordered on line.) I did find it at amazon.com, for $7.50/bottle. Really? It's that good?

Ack! I paid $3.49 a jar. I have a horrible feeling that this sauce is being discontinued because I too, could only find it online in expensive multipacks. Every time I find something in the supermarket that I feel tastes outstanding, it gets discontinued. Years ago I found a pasta sauce called Joey Pots n Pans, for instance, and  my, it was good too, but the sauce vanished a few months after I bought some. I found Fieri's sauce here in Maine in Renys (for anyone else who lives up here & wants to try it). Renys is a store where one can find assorted stuff of all kinds, sort of like Big Lots, but better. Making a note to myself, go to Renys and get more sauce. I've been making my own sauce for over 40 years, and the Old Skool sauce is similar to mine, but it doesn't take all afternoon to cook.

I bought lamb yesterday a boneless leg, too late for today but tomorrow  mid week British Sunday dinner  I shall roast it with  seasoned with rosemary  and served with roasted potatoes , mash , gravy, brussel sprouts, peas and carrots , Yorkshire pudding and mint sauce, Oh and have to have a little pickled beet with this too.  . I love lamb stew too, actually it is my favorite meat, I bet my New Zealand isn't as good as your home grown though..envy envy.

Now I know being from Yorkshire that Yorkshire pudding is for traditionally  Roast Beef but originally , way back in the days when  was cooked on a spit,it was for all meats..

this is one meat I can eat as a leftover,

I don’t usually like leftover meat, but do like lamb more then one day.  I put shoulder chops in this dish.  I have several legs in the freezer, but am going to have to reconsider having the butcher leave them whole since that is a lot of meat for one.  Lamb for me is cheap, it cost about $1. Lb for the cutting and packaging, and I always raise at least 6, sometimes as many as 20 a year.  I make sure they are born late, April or May then they are pasture raised resulting in a dressed lamb of 45-60 lbs.  I can’t believe how much they charge in the grocery, the farmers sure don’t see much of that, I usually get $3.50 a lb hanging weight for beef or lamb, and that is because I sell them individually, if I sold them for market I would be lucky  to get $1 a lb.

Well Barb I sure wish you lived nearer, wonder what the shipping would be on a lamb LOL. Usually I don'[t buy what I call designer meat ie a leg with no bones but I happened to be in Costco and they didn't have regular legs. The piece is just over 4iibs and cost $30. I like to buy them from the Oriental supermarket in the next city, they are frozen but they will saw the leg into pieces for e if I ask them.  Shoulder chops are good in a stew and I like neck of lamb too but cannot get it these days. I cook my lamb stew in a cream sauce rather than a brown one. I guess because my mother always did it that way I just followed her, lots of pot barley too. It is perhaps my favorite of all meals actually.and one I can usually eat even when not eating much. Apart from for a short window  when I can get local the lamb I get is frozen New Zealand.

I miss lambs, I used to raise a couple every year in the UK on bottles, they were always orphans that a local farmer friend would bring me..he used  to love my sponge cakes so I kept him in those in trade, one year he brought me a baby pig on Christmas morning that was born in the night. Lots of charm but not the same.

I like to rub the lamb with garlic & roast it with a bit of rosemary. 

I had a bit of leftover shrimp scampi, breadcrumbs & mirliton pulp after stuffing mine, so I'm going to see how they bake up in ramekins for lunch tomorrow.

Tonight I fancied a sweet dessert  which is not often for me just  couple of times a year, I didn't do the lamb after all, tomorrow, I dud  a lovely 3 egg omelette with ham and chesse in it and had just toast with it, The dessert I made was BanoffieePie, I really enjoy it once in a while, does anyone else make it, it seems to be not well known where Ilive.

6 hours ago, Jeannine said:

The dessert I made was BanoffieePie, I really enjoy it once in a while, does anyone else make it, it seems to be not well known where Ilive.

Found this recipe for Banoffiee Pie. Really? You need to boil cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours, risking an explosion if the water level drops too low?  Sounds more like a science experiment than a recipe. :D 

Edit: Searched a bit more and found a recipe that calls for caramelizing the condensed milk on the stovetop, not by boiling the can. The photo made me drool!   I'm in charge of pies for Thanksgiving dinner. I may add this to the menu. :eatyum:

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎10‎:‎56‎, KathieB said:

Haven't seen any mirlitons in the groceries here. One more thing to miss about Gulf coast food.

I know what I'll bring when we finally get up to see you!  (I need your new email address).

58 minutes ago, KathieB said:

...found a recipe that calls for caramelizing the condensed milk on the stovetop, not by boiling the can. The photo made me drool!   I'm in charge of pies for Thanksgiving dinner. I may add this to the menu. :eatyum:

I felt my blood sugar spike just reading that recipe!