Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Greek  Gigantes Plaki.. one of the few things I can eat the next day

I think any bean recipe improves with time. It takes a while for the flavors to blend well.

OK, I finally made the stuffed shells. I've been living on soup and Theraflu for the last couple days.

Anyway, I think on Sunday I'll make some refried beans and have tostadas with cheese and some sour cream. I don't know if I posted it, but I have a recipe for refried beans you can do in the crock pot. Set it and forget it.

Gigantese  Plaki is often sold as a deli item in the Greek stores and served at room temperature . which is why I like it the next day. I grow my own beans for this as it is almost impossible to get the size anywhere outside the Greek area that they do best in. My original beans came direct  from Greece and I have kept them going by growing every year or two.

All this talk of Greek Food I'm glad to hear so many like it. As a Pappas we have a New Years Day Greek feast every year . y husband is first generation american Greek.I wish I could mail you the tzatziki and the Dolmades with meat as they are the best ever. Actually all the food is great. 

Many of our local Greek Orthodox churches hold festivals every year, and their food is always better than what I find in the few Greek restaurants.  I'm a sucker for spinakopea and dolmades.  

I'm fighting a cold (they threaten to turn into roaring respiratory infections if I don't get aggressive with them, and sometimes even if I do), so I'm eating the other half of my breakfast wrap and making pigs in blankets for the men.

Today I baked cornbread for the dressing and baked a mince pie, and then I deboned our butt half leg of lamb, rubbed it with Greek seasoning, garlic & dried mint and stuffed it with some of the cornbread mixed with peppers & onion and put it in the slow cooker.  All I have to do for dinner tomorrow is mi the green beans almondine and bake the sweet potatoes, reheat the lamb an it's done.

I chose to be  alone  today so I haven't cooked yet but I think it will be just a Ploughmans sandwich and some fresh fruit

The Chi babies had turkey that I cooked for them. yesterday . I don't like turkey but  I buy one now and again and separate it into small pieces for freezing and cook it for the babies.

• 3 weeks later...

One of our favorite lunch places serves what they list on their menu as Swamp Soup and I have finally figured out the recipe!  Because it's different from one time to the next I now it's because they vary some of the ingredients; but basically it's greens (today they used spinach and it as just not as good), beans and chunks of meat.  I'm going to cook up a batch tomorrow in my slow cooker using mustard and turnip greens (with a bit of chopped turnip) and navy and black beans and black-eyed peas.  I found a package of leftover pork steak pieces I think I'll throw in for the meat.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What’s on the menu for Easter dinner? Looking for ideas... I’ve been pretty strictly doing low carb, but taking a break til after Easter. Craving bread! Lol 

Also, what is a ploughmans sandwich Jeannine? Sounds interesting.

2 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

LWhat’s on the menu for Easter dinner? Looking for ideas... I’ve been pretty strictly doing low carb, but taking a break til after Easter. Craving bread! Lol 

Tenderloin lamb chops

• Like 1

Karin my Ploughman's sandwich is not strictly authentic to the pub grub from the UK but very similar. I  use white bread cut fairly thick,  no butter but low fat mayo both sides, then on top of the mayo on one side only I put English chutney, mine is homemade but it is available in shops, then I put lettuce , sliced cuke, sliced tomato and slices of very thin red onion and then grated cheese. I use an imported strong cheddar and I don';t use a lot because it is strong but it is whatever you prefer. and that is it.

A Ploughmans lunch in the Uk is usually a hunk of bread with  a pat or two of butter on the side, a chunk of strong cheese and pickles , usually pickled oniosns but it varies from region to region over there and different pubs have their own specialiity

Easter for me is my favourite meal which is  lamb , marinated overnight with  salt amd pepper,garlic ,oil, lemon juice and rosemary ..then roast with  and served with mint sauce. Oven roast potatoes, whatever veggies you prefer but I have to have garden peas. another must is  fresh carrots microwaved in  nothing  but butter and honey,then after that often a cauliflower in a cheese sauce. Brussel sprouts,. roast parsnips  just whatever takes my fancy Oh and I like it served with beets, still warm,but my SIL has to have his pickled. Dessert could be anything but I isually do one of the special ones so maybe a Dorbos torte or if I really feel like playing I may make a Craquenbouche. or if not feeling that good just eclairs. It rather depends on if I have gusts or not. My daughter does not like lamb so if she comes I have to do her a steak. She may want turkey with all the tirmmings though and I don't feel like doing that especially as I don't like turkey so she will do it herself.Easter is a funny one here for food.

I have  to do a fancy bread even if it just me by myself . Maybe , a large round sour dough braided round the sides   with a design  in the center, or maybe a Challah or a Choreki, or even a sweet Hoska usually something braided anyway I love to play with bread dough  which I do anyway with my own sour dough, but Easter was my favourite holiday meal in the past so it gives me an  excuse to play a little longer.

I have been alone on Easter for the last two years and suspect it will be the same this year but I will still do the dinner as above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I have been alone on Easter for the last two years and suspect it will be the same this year but I will still do the dinner as above.

If it makes you feel any better, so will I be. I don't celebrate Easter, so I'm going property hunting again tomorrow. So looking forward to miles of driving again. I'll probably start at 10am and be back home around 6...

For dinner tonight, I had thawed a half a slab of London broil to use for oyster sauce beef. But I decided I didn't want to mess with that, so I tried something new. I seared the steak in a pan first with olive oil, then put it on a small rack on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200° for about 45 minutes or so. It was pretty rare, but pink, not red. It was good, but not as tender as I thought it would be. I think if I do this again, I'll still sear the steak again, but then drop it in the crock pot on low for about 5 or 6 hours, see how that goes.

• Like 1