Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

Thanks for the explanation Jeanine, wow that all sounds amazing! 

I was thinking hot cross buns have a historical significance to Easter don't they? I love any kind of artisan bread, the hardest thing to give up when I go low carb. Warm bread with real butter..hard to beat that. 

Sounds good Sable and Holly! You all sound like such knowledgeable, good cooks. 

Happy land hunting Kelly, safe travels. 

Kelly I don't mind being on my own. It is by choice. When my husband was first hospitalized then moved to a care facility I chose not to accept invitations to dinner or socialize generally without him and after he died I carried on.   So I cook for  just me. Occasionally my daughter and SIL come and jon me but not anything formal anymore.

We always do about the same for all holidays. Just really only the meat changes. Everyone likes it, so it's safe and easy.

Ham, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, green beans, mac and cheese, and corn. This year it will be corn on the cob. Mama does the cooking.

I will do a braided bread with dyed eggs tucked in. And some kind of dessert. I haven't decided yet what that will be this year. In the past I've done bunny cakes, and a Faberge egg cake. I also baked cake in empty dyed eggshells one year which was really cute. I may not be that adventurous this year, and just do banana pudding and a simple cake. Lawson suggested carrot cake as a joke, but I might try it, although I've never made one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Lawson suggested carrot cake as a joke, but I might try it, although I've never made one.

No way you can mess up a carrot cake. It would be perfect. :) I made a yellow cake in a lamb mold, decorated it this morning with white frosting, coconut, M&Ms for eyes and nose and red cake decorating gel for his mouth. The gel has begun to ooze its way into the surrounding white face. He is looking a bit demented. :( 

6 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Lol, well I would still eat it, demented looking or not :) 

We will!! and definitely begin cutting at the head end. :D 

• Like 2

My sis outdid herself -- ham and roast leg of lamb, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, carrots, relish tray, parker house rolls, and a fantastic salad, plus my demented (yet tasty) lamb cake with vanilla ice cream. 

Last night I made slow cooker Hawaiian chicken with pineapple on rice. I'm going to finish eating that tonight. It's actually pretty good, but I think I put in too much sriracha seasoning. It's a little hot. Anyway, I went property hunting again today and 150 miles later, the thought of just throwing something in the oven and heating it up resonates pleasantly with me. I'm just too tired to cook.

A Greenelaf cookbook, what a good idea. I may even share a few of my secrets recipes as I am getting on now and no one to leave them to.like  my

Maple Syrup  Sticky  Buns to Die For    or my Grand Marnier Marmalade Jelly

On 2018-04-01 05:42:08, WyckedWood said:

Lol, well I would still eat it, demented looking or not :) 

Everyones menus sound interesting and creative! Maybe we should put together a Greenleaf cookbook :eatyum: 

Sounds lovley! 

Strombolis-- used this recipe (sort of) with bread-maker pizza dough; stuffed way too full of onion, green pepper, mushroom, black olives, chopped tomato, chopped ham, pepperonis and rather much cheese. Was concerned that it might turn out soggy with all that filling, but it was just fine- could just about eat it like a sandwich.

DH & I are suckers for calzones & strombolis.  Our last grocery trip we had picked up some mango & jalapeno chicken links that were very tasty, so this last trip we found the same flavors were available in chicken meatballs, so we're having those tonight with linguini, a parsley pesto and roast asparagus.

Well I am going to start cooking again for the homeless dinner I did until last year, I stopped shortly after my husband died.It is each Saturday and we feed 100 more or less.  I need to get back into some volunteer work if I can but I have not been well for a while so I was hesitant . Anyway , I have committed to cooking  several items for this week, each enough for  30 . I am doing it as simply as I can  so no soup and no heavy pots.   Shake and Bake chicken, potato salad, a green salad of some sort, buns and butter and I am going to buy the buns this time, a sliced ham and then the desserts  which will be pumpkin spice muffins about 4 dozen, brownies same amount ,English trifle and  a couple of cream type pies banana  or coconut something like that. The muffins and brownies are usually take home things and the other desserts are eaten on the night. Most I can do slowly the night before and then the only cooking on Saturday will be the chicken.

Fingers crossed for me,hopefully I will be able to do it without too much trouble. I need to get back into the swing a bit before my surgery comes up next month.

Friday is date night at our house, and we go out to eat, and whenever we go out we often find new things for me to try at home.  At last weekend's Jazz Fest we hit a tapas bar that we hadn't noticed before and had their Mediterranean flatbread, so during the week I put all the same ingredients and shrimp leftover from my eggplant pirogue filling.  Tonight we're going in search of a new Thai restaurant to try.

Jeannine, if all that is "simple" I can't imagine what "heavy" would be.

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Jeannine, if all that is "simple" I can't imagine what "heavy" would be.

I can't either. I feel like I've cooked a huge meal when I just make a grilled cheese sandwich. For me, gourmet is putting spaghetti sauce on noodles.

I was thinking of having honey mustard chicken over rice tonight. I will, if I can figure out how to do that.

Whoops, scratch that, I forgot to get rice. ai yi yi

LOL ..heavy is when I make soup for 50, plus I cook rice, or veggies, sweet and sour sauces, spaghettis, lasagnas or roasts etc, lots of chopping and tending, big heavy pots and all made on the Saturday.

I have done 6 dozen muffins this morning which was a bit hard on me having to stand and fill all the paper cups and slow as they take a while each tray, I have the brownies in at the moment in a half slab tin which will give me about 45 pieces. Oh and I should add that easy also means I buy the commercial size cake mix from Costco and I have a very large mixer so all the muffin mix went in there in 1 go. Ditto the brownie mix. I made extra muffins as I am sending 2 dozen to somewhere else . For home I make things from scratch. The cream pies. I use frozen pastry cases and packaged mix. I will make these later today. Oh and Holly, no chocolate pies ..I watched Help the night before last after you mentioned it and I couldn't';t bring myself to do it.

Spaghetti sauce for me I make in very large batches, then freeze so I have my easy days at home too. I am making a large quiche tonight, I will have 1 piece and the rest will go to the dinner the next day.