Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

Holly, good for you.I think it is one of the best things ever invented. You make a pastry case, look in the fridge and see what you need to use up. Yesterday's one had bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese, eggs and cream,  pretty basic. I had no onions so it had to go without and usually I put broccoli in but had none.I think it is very forgiving and it is good hot or cold. It is like making soup, you can chuck anything in it.

• 2 weeks later...

DH was  watching one of Jacques Pepin's cooking shows on PBS a while back, and Jacques was making fried rabbit he first slathered in mustard and seasoned breadcrumbs.  I have since done it several times with both chicken and pork chops (in the oven, not fried), and I can tell you this is a fantastic way to prepare meat.

Holly, your mention of mustard made me smile. I went out for lunch with my sis today, and we both ordered hamburgers. The waitress asked did I want lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayonnaise and mustard. I just had to remark that folks in this area just don't get it -- mustard is for hot dogs, ketchup is for hamburgers and they shouldn't get mixed up! (Don't even get me started on the mayo!) Luckily the waitress had a sense of humor -- or else she has learned to humor idiot customers. :D 

I haven't eaten today. I took a bad fall this am, it was 5.30 am. The furbabies wanted out so I got up to let them out  and I went  into the greenhouse to turn the sprinkler on. I tripped over a hose and came down heard on the concrete outside by the tap. I  tried shouted for help as at first I couldn't get my breath but couldn't make much noise and could not get up as I was very dizzy, so I lay down and tried to calm myself and bring my heart  beat back to normal, I must have passed out because when I finally managed to get on my knees and crawl to the house where I could get into a chair I saw the clock and I had been out there  more than an hour. I  made it to the bed  with the  furbabies in tow and I stayed there till the afternoon. I feel pretty rough and have a side plate size bruise at the base of my spine which is where I landed, it is till getting it's color but I expect it to go black, the fingers on my right hand hurt, 1 especially and I have an egg on my head  but no broken bones. I vomited a lot a couple of hours later and have kept it up most of the afternoon so I have just sipped water.

I keep going in and out of bed as I hurt all over but it is hard to lie down..

Tomorrow hopefully I will be less shaky and less dizzy.

6 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I haven't eaten today. I took a bad fall this am, it was 5.30 am. The furbabies wanted out so I got up to let them out  and I went  into the greenhouse to turn the sprinkler on. I tripped over a hose and came down heard on the concrete outside by the tap. I  tried shouted for help as at first I couldn't get my breath but couldn't make much noise and could not get up as I was very dizzy, so I lay down and tried to calm myself and bring my heart  beat back to normal, I must have passed out because when I finally managed to get on my knees and crawl to the house where I could get into a chair I saw the clock and I had been out there  more than an hour. I  made it to the bed  with the  furbabies in tow and I stayed there till the afternoon. I feel pretty rough and have a side plate size bruise at the base of my spine which is where I landed, it is till getting it's color but I expect it to go black, the fingers on my right hand hurt, 1 especially and I have an egg on my head  but no broken bones. I vomited a lot a couple of hours later and have kept it up most of the afternoon so I have just sipped water.

Oh Jeannine, as Holly says, you should get checked out. Sounds like a really bad fall. Don't stay on your own at least. Please let us know you're ok. Hugs.

23 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Oh Jeannine, as Holly says, you should get checked out. Sounds like a really bad fall. Don't stay on your own at least. Please let us know you're ok. Hugs.

I'll join the chorus. Any signs of blacking out, dizziness, vomiting, or a lump on the head are concerning on their own, and you have all four of them. Get thee to the emergency room, dear heart. This isn't something you can safely sleep away.

I am Ok. I phoned my daughtere at the main house  about 6.30 but I guess she didn't hear the phone so I left a message  for her  to come but she didn't and I couldn't reach her, I stayed in bed but don't know what time she came home , she didn't check her answering      machine when she got home and I couldn't leave the dogs  unless she was at home. Anyway I have stayed laid down or in my recliner all day, still have not seen her.I am very sore and my back pelvis area is purple/blue but I am in one piece. I just got up to make an overseas telephone call as 1am and figured I would check in.

There are some odd posts in an oriental language pages and pages by multiple new names .

Thank you all for your concern, I knew I hadn't broken anything and although I was sleepy as it was very early in the morning, I think I managed to keep awake. XX Jeannine

Those multiple names appear to be a single spammer and I have reported them.  I still think you need to be seen by a medical professional, but thank you for checking in so we know you're not dead.

Back on the subject of food I took the mustard & bread crumbs to some pork steaks last night.  This treatment not only brings out the full flavor of the meat, but makes it very juicy and tender.

4 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I am Ok. I phoned my daughtere at the main house  about 6.30 but I guess she didn't hear the phone so I left a message  for her  to come but she didn't and I couldn't reach her, I stayed in bed but don't know what time she came home , she didn't check her answering      machine when she got home and I couldn't leave the dogs  unless she was at home. Anyway I have stayed laid down or in my recliner all day, still have not seen her.I am very sore and my back pelvis area is purple/blue but I am in one piece. I just got up to make an overseas telephone call as 1am and figured I would check in.

There are some odd posts in an oriental language pages and pages by multiple new names .

Thank you all for your concern, I knew I hadn't broken anything and although I was sleepy as it was very early in the morning, I think I managed to keep awake. XX Jeannine

Good to know Jeannine, take it easy.

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Back on the subject of food I took the mustard & bread crumbs to some pork steaks last night.  This treatment not only brings out the full flavor of the meat, but makes it very juicy and tender.

Yum, I like pork better than other meats!

Just to let you know all is well, my Dr popped in to see me.

I managed to cook yesterday, poached halibut in a very creamy white parsley  sauce, simply with buttered mash and peas I really enjoyed it. Today I am doing a strip loin steak probably with a small salad and a baked potato etc.

Yesterday I finally re sowed my  mixed lettuce bed in my greenhouse so soon I shall be able to eat my own stuff again. I can't do the garden anymore, I knew last year would be it for me but I do have rather a big greenhouse and I can grow lots in that.

Holly, I have okra growing in there, it won't grow outside and is impossible to get here fresh so it has luckily found a place in the greenhouse so good gumbo on the horizon.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018, 12:00:27, Thimble Hall said:

I’m so glad you saw the doctor and are okay. That was a scary time Just take it easy

Batter fried okra is also very tasty, especially the baby pods, if you can eat anything fried.  I'm a Philistine and put frozen okra in my gumbo, since the local deer herds eat anything they think is tasty; I'm still wondering how they liked the jalapeno bush we moved outside last year.

Holly that is funny, fortunately they can't get in my greenhouse and the bear that was roaming last year  could reach the fruit he wanted from over the fence..

It is a few years since I grew okra and I only have room for a couple of plants. I can't get either fresh or frozen here so if I want it I have to grow it. I should have thought about it earlier though as I have left it too long to grow from seed. I was surprised to see little plants in the garden centre so I grabbed a couple. I have no idea what variety it is, so we will see what we will see. I have never had deep fried okra so I will try and remember that one. Apart from the baby pods can you do the full size ones and if so is it sliced length ways , across or is it fried whole?

On the subject of deep frying. I have heard of deep fried dill pickles but have never had them.. any recipes or comments.. It sounds odd to me but I hear about it in movies.

I have given up worrying about weight, and the usual diet problems and I am not diabetic so I eat what I like. I figure something is going to carry me off so I just don't worry about frying etc anymore. Not a good plan,much like not going to the doctor  regularly or the hospital but I no longer care much. I have to go in next month for surgery, no choice on this one but not the subject for the eating topic.

Dinner tonight was a rather large steak which I barely made a dent in, some left over mash with cheese added and baked , came out sort of puffy and I had peas.. I seem to be going off meat unless I make it into a stew

Tomorrow I am going to make a fish pie, pastry case with fish in a creamy sauce with a potato top.

I have been craving tapioca pudding for a while,I think maybe I am going a bit odd!!

Jeannine, I LOVE fried pickles! Yes I guess they do sound kind of odd, but they are so yummy. I've never made them so I don't have a recipe, but I looked them up once and found several on the internet. (As a related pickle note, pickle soup also is delicious. I do have a recipe for that.) 

For fried okra, you don't cut it lengthwise. You cut it into slices like if you were making carrot coins. But thicker. Seems they usually are about as thick as they are wide. If you look up a recipe there should be a picture so you can get an idea. It is pretty delicious too. (but not as yummy as pickles!! :) )

Glad you are feeling better.

As Tracy says, slice your adult okra pods into crosswise pieces.  Tracy, have you tried oven-frying the okra?  The hubs and I cannot tolerate deep-fried foods any longer, our gall bladders are just too old.  I do oven fry whatever we get cravings for, lightly coat a pan with olive oil and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

We still have some boneless ham that I'm thinking of fixing with some roast sweet potato "logs" (peel them, cut in half & then into lengthwise chunks) and steaming brussels sprouts and serving those tossed with peanut butter and McIlhenny's smoked chipotle hot sauce or Sriracha sauce.

Jeannine, the fried dill pickles are the slices, and they are almost as addictive as potato chips.  We got into some at an Alabama Paddling Trail event and decided we'd better not do that again.

Holly, I'm the only one that eats okra, so I rarely cook things just for me. (no one at mama's eats it either, so it's not even served at Sunday family dinner that we have every week) But, whenever we go to a buffet or another place with southern cooking, I always get okra. 

Whenever we eat at one of those "home cooking" type places that offers three veggies with the meat one of them is fried okra (for which I take a ranitidine later) and the other two are sweet potatoes and black-eyed peas.

OOOh.thank you both, something new to try, silly but that will make my day. I shall have to wait on the okra but I can try the pickles, as I am planned to cook fish, maybe I will change the process and deep fry it and I can try the pickles. I have to admit it sounds really peculiar to me but I am game to try. Holly I take that med as a prescription daily,( as I have GERD so it enables me to eat fired with no problems. I cannot begin to imagine dill pickle soup thpough..but I will try and find a recipe and have a go another day. Thank you both.

I didn't get to try the pickles as I found I didn't have any,, I will have to buy some.

Last night I cooked scallops and had them with asparagus and fresh French bread just out of the oven.The furbabies had to settle for tongue.

Tonight I am cooking lamb chops for me and the babies. We will have fresh cooked beets ,Brussel sprouts , baby carrots,and potatoes either mash or roast, maybe a bit of both and my own, first of the season  homemade mint sauce. Oh and don't forget the gravy.The babies don't get the mint