Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

I got a package of chicken thighs when we went to the store nd yesterday I pulled off the skin and put them into ziplock bags with the yogurt, turmeric and garlic marinade to make Kathie's Persian chicken.  They then went into the freezer, as DH wants to do a road trip to one of our favorite attractions, the "Scarecrows in the Park" in Opp, AL, today.

Spare ribs marinating as we speak,  probably with rice. I am getting my freezer trimmed down to 2 person sized meat packets, one for me one for the Chi babies to share. The spare ribs are a big packet so after today I won't buy them again.

I read something surprising on the USDA  foodie site a couple of weeks ago. Apparently the idea that we can't refreeze meat has changed. They are now saying yes we can..but it has to be defrosted in the fridge. So last week I defrosted the huge prime rib roast I had, and when cuttable,but  still partially frozen I sectioned it in 1 rib roasts . I kept one and refroze the rest, so that huge roast  is now usable for me. The one I kept out I cooked as a roast and it fed me and the Chi,s for 2 days and the Chis a further one day.

Last night I had the unhealthiest thing ever. I baked a couple of large Russets, then cut them in half lengthwise and scooped out the insides, making sure to leave a lot of potato along the sides. Then I deep fat fried them till crispy and filled them with hamburger (was out of bacon) and cheese for a simple potato boat. I was going to have two last night and two today, but I was so hungry last night, I scarfed down all four. (oops)

Anyway, since I had fried up about a pound and a half of hamburger, I still have plenty left and I'm going to use it in Hamburger Helper tonight for supper. Then I have to think of something to do with the potato insides I still have.

On Monday, October 23, 2017 8:47:19, Goldenrodfarm said:

I have been under the weather for the last week, tired of it too!  Feels like a combination of hay fever and cold or flu, the hay was really exploding with lots of pollen this year, I don’t usually get allergies this bad. Eating has been hit or miss for the last week, but I did make a big pot of French onion soup with red onions, yellow and leeks from the garden. Tonight I made pepper steak but with turkey breast strips, it is the first time something tasted delicious for a week!

On Monday, October 23, 2017 12:08:28, Jeannine said:

Well I ended up  2 days feeling very ill, followed by 2 full days in bed and a further 2 half up and half down  ,this is my first day up all day. The huge bag of ground pork that was destined for meatloaf or balls ended up in the crockpot with  a few jars of commercial spaghetti sauce which I use for community dinners. It simmered for 6 hours and went in the fridge, bagged and frozen the next day. I managed to lift the crock pot and the jars and by the time I had stirred it all in I was wasted but the meat got used,The option was to chuck it as I was too weak to stand in the kitchen and prep anything. I boiled a few eggs, so did eat a little .Cold  eggs when in the mood, cheese with an apple and a a spon of pate with crackers but it kept me going three days.

Today I cooked a small 2 rib prime rib roast with roast and mashed potatoes, Brussel sprouts and baked squash and I ate a full meal..yeah!!

I still feel ill though and my minis have come to a stop, I  managed to do a bit today .

I hate, absolutely hate being in bed, unless I am actually asleep I can't stand it so I have to be very sick to stay there. I was totally exhausted, unsteady on my feet, disorientated and felt I was going to fall down every time I stood or sat up, so I gave in  and rested. I used two sticks to get to the door to let my babies out periodically and of course got up to feed them, they are sulking though because they had to have some commercial meat which they hate..but after prime rib today I think they love me again. I guess not eating and not sleeping gets to you eventually.

My house looks disgusting, covered in dust, no vacuuming for about 10 days so I think I will phone one of those domestic cleaning companies tomorrow and get some one in. Never thought I would have to do that. Thank goodness I kept the dishwasher going.

Anyway tomorrow something with left over beef, probably just a sandwich.

Not a good week..but I managed to use the laptop in bed a little bit so found a few nice things.so that turns it into a better week.

I hope you two are feeling better soon! I remember when I got hit with a very bad flu just when I was moving into my new house and having to clean the trailer I was moving out of. I finally asked the landlord if I could come over in a week and finish because I was barely able to stand. I've been off my feet a couple times since then, but that time really stands out in my mind because I was in bed for two weeks. I kept having chills, which was delightful because I got to run a very hot bath in my new tub every time I started shivering. Otherwise, I remember being bored as all get out,  I didn't have a TV or a computer and all my books were still packed up. As I recall, though, I still ate.

Kelly I am a bit better, I have started building a bit again but I now have a chest infection starting. Funny really as I feel better than I did when I wasn't coughing. I am really only doing sit down jobs still but at least I am steady on my feet now, just tired and I am eating a bit better, so good things ahead. Thank you for thinking of me XX Jeannine

Some years ago we had dinner in an upscale Italian restaurant in the Bahamas. DH loved the dish he ordered, said it was one of the best things he'd ever eaten, so I decided to try and make a version at home. It worked, the first time I gave it to him he recognized it and said it tasted as good as the stuff in the Bahamas did. I made it for dinner tonight, and he still remarked how good it was.

I start by marinading some chicken tenders in Good Seasons salad dressing for 30

minutes. If I have some slices of pork tenderloin in the freezer I'll put them into the bag with the chicken too. Next I'll simmer some Italian sausages in a little water or chicken broth till they're cooked enough to slice.

I'll saute the chicken and sliced sausages and pork in olive oil or even just the leftover Good Seasons marinade till the meats are cooked, then I'll set the meats aside on a plate.

To the oil and drippings in the pan I'll add some diced onion, strips of green or red peppers, garlic, get them cooking a bit, then add thin slices of potato and mushrooms (quartered if they're large). Saute that, sprinkling with Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. It doesn't take long to cook, now and then I pour in a little white wine and chicken broth as the liquids evaporate, stirring often. When the potatoes are about done, we don't want them mushy (red potatoes work well in this dish), I return the meats to the skillet, stirring everything together till the meats are reheated and the potato slices are done.

• Like 1

Started on the Christmas shopping last weekend. My son, who has been making us yummy pan fried chicken lately, was asking why we didn't have a deep fryer. I told him we used to have one when he was growing up, but we hardly ever used it so I gave it away. He's health conscious, so I got him one of the air fryers and a fry cutter. Has anybody had an experience with the air fryers?

I'm having lunch with my daughter next week, so I'll find out what she wants. Probably some kitchen appliance or gadget. I got my dad a Food Saver last Christmas, and her boyfriend hasn't stopped talking about it since. He was easy to buy for!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

...Has anybody had an experience with the air fryers?...

I found a pan & lid that is touted to be an air fryer, and I tried it with shrimp, it was excellent.  The middle of the bottom bumps up, necessitating awareness of the size & shape of the food items I put in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I found a pan & lid that is touted to be an air fryer, and I tried it with shrimp, it was excellent.  The middle of the bottom bumps up, necessitating awareness of the size & shape of the food items I put in it.

Aha! That makes sense! I bet it is perfect for two or three servings.

I got him a Power AirFryer XL. It kind of looks like a bread machine, but the "fry" basket pulls out from the unit. They have an "oven" version, too. It had good reviews, and our theme this year is to exchange gifts "As Seen On TV". It will be humorous to see what people think will revolutionize the lives of Family members for $19.99, lol! Makes the gift exchange affordable too because the older generations draw names the Christmas before. This thing was around $100, but you get to spend as much as you want on your kids, nieces and nephews. They aren't considered grown ups in our family until they're over 25.

I sure hope he likes it! Maybe he'll want to cook more often!

1 hour ago, chapchap73 said:

I have an air fryer and love it. Everything crisps us nicely and the cleanup is a breeze. Pinterest has tons of air fryer recipes.

Good to know, Sarah! He loves sweet potato fries, but we can't seem to get the Alexia Puffs very crisp in the oven. I hope this will, tho!

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:21:54, havanaholly said:

Kelly, if I had leftover cooked potato insides I'd mash them and mix them with leftover cabbage, shape them into patties and pan-fry them (bubble & squeak).

No cabbage and no shopping until after November 3rd (I am going to get through this month without going to the store again if I have to cook and eat the cupboard doors!). But I was thinking along the lines of frying them, a la potato pancakes.

I still have 3 medium sized new potatoes and I'm thinking for tonight, I may just use up the rest of the cream and cheese I have, including that small piece of blue cheese in the freezer, and have a blue cheese and cheddar stovie:

http://www.mytastegbr.com/click/index/427097/theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com

I think I'll have to halve this recipe, though.

I've had these before and they are absolutely delicious!

I stopped at the Chinese restaurant in Millinocket and got takeout for my lunch while selling eggs on the hill, I ordered a soup and some shrimp chow mein, my favorite.  I pulled the soup out thinking it was the usual 1 pt serving because it was only $3. come to find out it was a quart of hot and sour soup.  They make the best hot and sour soup there, all their food is way above average Chinese food. So I have a lot of leftovers for supper! I hardly ever eat out because of distance so this is a nice change!

Pizza tonight. Had a coupon for buy one, get 2nd one for $1 at the really good pizza place. Took them over to my sister's and shared with other family members, too. Left her the leftover pizza, and she sent me home with their leftovers from last night: turkey meatloaf, Harvard beets, and mashed potatoes, so I'm set for tomorrow. :) 

Need assistance from you master chefs. My niece is coming in very late from the U.K. on Saturday nite. We will arrive home from the airport at around 10pm. It will feel like 3am to her. Her friend from our time zone will be arriving, too.  In the AM I'm driving them to Vero. I want to offer them something to nibble on in case they didn't get much to eat on their flights. Plus, I need breakfast ideas. I'm not a foodie and my live-in cook son won't be around to bail me out.  Suggestions please: late nite snack and breakfast.

When I'm feeding breakfast to  crowd I have two go-tos:  a breakfast casserole where I tear a baguette into small chunks and whilst it's soaking in a cup of nonfat milk I crumble and brown a pound of turkey breakfast sausage and then mix that and 6-8 eggs into the breadcrumbs with a cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, dump it into a baking dish coated with cooking spray and pop it into a 350-degree preheated oven for a half hour or so; the other one is to separate a can of crescent roll dough into its triangles and lay them in a star pattern in a pie dish and lay a strip of partly cooked turkey bacon over each triangle (2 minutes in the microwave) and top it with a half dozen eggs scrambled and a couple of tablespoons or a slice of whatever cheese I want to use up, bake it in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes and serve it up.  Add some fruit and you're good to go.  I also add a cup of granola to two cups of baking mix (Heart Healthy Bisquick), an egg, 3/4 cup nonfat milk, a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a big dollop of Greek yogurt and stir it all together with a fork until everything's moistened, and divvy the better into muffin tins; I bake them at 400-425 degrees for about 20 minutes.