Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

Mac and cheese tonight. I was going to make some the other night, mentioned I wanted to try the old Horn & Hardart Automats' recipe that I recently found online. The menfolk gave me that look that says : What? Why do we have to try a new recipe? The regular one is just fine.

I got mad and we went out to eat instead. I'm making my regular mac and cheese tonight, but maybe I'll mingle in some other cheeses to please myself.

There is no danger in boiling the cans, I do 10 at a time in a very large pan with loads of water  but if you are nervous or busy and may forget to top up use the method mentioned in the original recipe , shown in the link provided  If you caramelize it on the srove top it does not taste the same and the risk of burning it is hign. I did  it myself and the dessert is noy nearly as nice. Once the cans  are boiled and cooled I mark them as caramelized and they go back in my pantry and I have them when I need them.They last forever. If you go cruising the net for   if you want the best recipe which is the original it is   THE HUNGRY MONK BANOFFI/ BANNOFFEE PIE... this is the name of the UK restaurant thay designed it and although the owner is has since died his partner/chef is still on the go   It is his link I am suggesting

http://www.iandowding.co.uk/banoffi-pie-the-original-recipe/

Yesterday I made a slow cooker chicken and dumplings using cream of chicken soup and those Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits. The timing on this recipe was all wrong. They said to add the cut up biscuit dough and then continue cooking for another hour in the slowcooker. After an hour and a half the dough was still dough.The best I can say is that the dish was edible once I poured everything into a Dutch oven and finished cooking it on the stove.

Today I'm making DH some Santa Fe green chile stew with pork. He likes peasant food and the recipe sounds very peasanty to me. I don't care for pork butt, so I'm making myself a spicy chicken ranch sandwich similar to the one they serve at IHOP.

I made pigs in blankets with one of the links of andouille sausage and a can of crescent roll dough.  Since I had spinach, potatoes and tomatoes I made aloo palak for a side.  I couldn't find my coriander, but it was right tasty without it.

I was in the store yesterday and they had turkey backs, wings and necks for 10 cents a lb, so I bought 4 packages and simmered them overnight, turkey vegetable soup for lunch and turkey stew tonight.  Since I don’t have any family remotely close I will not be doing a turkey dinner tomorrow but am enjoying my soup!

• Like 1

Last night I used a roll of mild turkey breakfast sausage to make the Swedish meatball recipe and roasted some fresh asparagus spears and dressed them with hard boiled egg and lemon juice.  Tonight we had some of the gumbo.

Today I baked three pies: pecan, pumpkin and apple. Made the crusts and fillings from scratch. Also made some pecan cupcakes, cranberry sauce and deviled some eggs, all for tomorrow's feast. Need to bake some biscuits in the morning, then take it all over to my sister's for the family gathering. Looking forward to leftovers. :) 

A huge big batch of chili for the freezer, I had  ton of assorted beans I had grown and dried and same in frozen tomatoes I had grown plus about 2 dozen bee patties that I didn't like but it was good for  chili. I ended up with 23 quarts do it will last a long time'

Tomorrow I am driving to the States to pick up my doll molds at the border, so it will be a sandwich only.

Today we're off to the Poarch Creek powwow after breakfast and possibly a short hike on the way home at the pitcher plant bog, so finish off the leftover Swedish meatballs.  We are devout about spending "Black Friday" outdoors.

Last night I had my easy chicken noodle soup I had in the crock pot all day and grilled cheese sandwiches. So good! I take a rotisserie chicken from the deli, strip the meat off it, mince 2 carrots and 2 celery, add some parsley, bay leaf, onion and salt, 2 cartons of chicken broth, and a little water to come up to the top, and let it cook for hours on high. Then, about 20 minutes before I'm ready to eat, I add half a bag of egg noodles and cook until done.

• Like 1

I am finding it very difficult to cook for one and as I don't like reheated food except chili and spaghetti sauce it is becoming a problem for me. I lost my appetite for some time, after John died.  I am eating better now but I am reaching for things that I probably shouldn't..eg I put a couple of  frozen lamb chops in a tray in the oven with a bit of oil a few slices of onion and half a carrot then make a bit of gravy with the drippings, no green veg, can't be bothered buying lettuce, cauli etc as I throw most of it out. Once my home grown salad greens and other stuff  from the greenhouse ran out I stopped eating cukes, peppers and tomatoes. I seems a waste of time to put the crock pot on for one so the pan in the oven is getting a bit too regular, or I make bacon and egg, have a sandwich or use the deep fryer and do French fries and fish.Or I wil bake a potato, cover it in butter  and fry a steak The bright side is I am eating now but I have to start making sensible food.

I have never used convenience foods, actually I don't even know what is what but I am wondering if I should try a few.