Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

It sounds very yummy and I love apricots .but right now that lovely recipe will have to go on hold.,

Today I made a crustless quiche, all the eggs, cheese, mushrooms , ham and broc went in the dish and it turned out very well.

I chucked the leftover meat in the freeze for another day.

Tomorrow I may make a veggie and chicken curry but no rice LOL it sounds crazy.

I think if I have cauli on my plate with two other veggies I kid myself that the cauli is the potato as it is white so the curry may be a no and I will go for lamb chops with veggies..

I think the folks on this low to zero carb diet must be fantastic cooks as I have very few ideas. I may have to invest in a book  I think.

I have never used spaghetti squash but I may give that a try if I can find it, it is too late to grow it.

6 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I think the folks on this low to zero carb diet must be fantastic cooks as I have very few ideas. I may have to invest in a book  I think.

Check out the Atkins Diet cookbooks for really delicious low-carb/no-carb recipes

You can sub cauliflower for potato and rice and ought to work well with your curry.  Spaghetti squash is also a good sub for pasta.  I discovered a lovely acorn squash bisque with pine nuts and garlic.  I'm going to try the brandied apricots sauce with chicken later, to see how it goes; and also try subbing golden raisins for the apricots; we have found a giant variety of golden raisins at a local halal meat store.  I love to cook because we both love to EAT!

I have been subbing cauli for potatoes. am trying to avod soups etc as I only eat what I cook that day and it is a bit hard to make soup for one/ . I only intended to try it for a week to see if I could do it.So far I don't feel deprived and have lost about three pounds so I will keep going a bit longer

I will pick up an Atkins and  Keto book I think

I have been eating a little fruit because I had just bought some and did not want  to throw it away but I don't think is actually allowed.

Thanks for the help.

3 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

...I have been eating a little fruit because I had just bought some and did not want  to throw it away but I don't think is actually allowed...

I would think the fiber benefits would outweigh the carbs.

And there I am, going in the completely opposite direction.

I'm thinking that today after I put the wet T-shirt on, I should be cool enough for about 20 minutes to put together a ham and potato casserole with a Parmesan cheese sauce (made from cream). Oh, well, I didn't want to lose weight today anyway.

I'm going to smear mayo all over a couple of catfish fillets and toss them into a bag of seasoned bread crumbs and oven "fry" them, serve them with braised spinach with pine nuts and raisins and yellow rice.

Tonight I have prawns, I buy them live and cook them very quickly and briefly, I guess it will  be a salad with them.

Holy that is an excellent way to cook fish, never done it that way but I will try that soon.I just remembered I have a big jar on pine nuts, I hope they are Ok, they are probably a year old!! I bought spinach today so will pop some in my salad.I can't grow it in the heat.

Kelly your menu sounds delish too, I am right there with you on the  parmesan cream sauce.yummy  for the tummy.

I am going to diverge a bit today with my eating and have strawberries and cream after my shrimp etc.

Jeannine, I missed all of this, glad you’re doing well with the low carb. I don’t know what kinds of food you like or don’t like, but just a few thoughts, sounds like you’re doing great. 

Alredo sauce has very few carbs, so grilled chicken, alredo sauce, broccoli and mushrooms is a favorite. 

This would be easy to make for one, kind of a mix between soup and a casserole. Small regular can of cream of chicken soup, cubed chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken from the deli to save time) broccoli, shredded cheese, sour cream, baked in a pie plate until cheese is brown.

I keep deli meat in the fridge to grab if I get hungry, I get a different type of meat every 3 or 4 days to avoid boredom. Sometimes I make a roll up with a slice of deli meat, slice of Swiss cheese and spread of cream cheese on top then roll up. 

Large mushrooms, hollowed out and filled with a mix of cream cheese, green onion, and crumbled bacon. Put under the broiler or high heat until browned. 

Deviled eggs...good snack

Omelets loaded with crumbled sausage, bacon, etc. 

faux rueben ...make a roll up with pastrami, Swiss cheese and a few tablespoons of sauerkraut. Microwave until cheese melts, about 50 seconds to a minute

Just a few things you may not have thought of yet! 

There used to be a website called Low Carb Luxury but I haven’t looked it up for awhile so I’m not sure if it’s still active. They had good recipes. I’m sure there are other websites out there for ideas. 

Strawberries, I think are one of the lower carb fruits and the cream is perfectly fine. 

I also eat almonds for a snack, I get flavored ones. 

Little tray of olives, feta and pepperoni slices is another good snack, add artichoke hearts if you like that. 

Smoked salmon and capers...just no crackers. You can make crackers out of Parmesan, spread thin into a pile and baked...can probably look up a recipe for those. 

Karin, I put fresh baby spinach, chopped black olives, chopped green onion and grated or crumbled cheese into my omelets when I make them, sometimes spoon some slsa on top when I plate them.  What about subbing leftover cauliflower for the biscuits or potatoes in breakfast casserole?  Jeannine, I have also smeared my fish fillets with spicy brown or Dijon mustard before tossing them in breadcrumbs & baking.

I've had to make low carb dishes for my hsband for years because he preferred to go low carb over taking medication for his diabetes. Some thing he likes are; shrimp egg foo yung, shrimp Creole or Etoufee without the rice, pork lo mein without the noodles, stir fry dishes, bunless hamburgers, beef stew without potatoes.

Shakshuka is another dish he really likes. I've copied it out of my recipe file.

Olive oil
Bit diced onion
Bit diced green or red pepper
1 can stewed or diced tomatoes
Touch garlic powder
½ tsp chili powder
½ scant tsp cumin
½ tsp paprika
Pinch sugar – opt
Salt & pepper
Bit parsley
3 eggs
Heat oil in the skillet, saute onion and peppers a few minutes. Add canned tomatoes and seasonings and simmer @ 5 minutes till it starts to reduce.
When reduced, slide 3 eggs onto tomato mixture & cover. Let simmer 10 to 15 minutes till eggs are done, preferably over easy.

I've got more low carb recies - bt my keyboard is stickin ...... I'll add some later f you ike.

• Like 1

I like low carb too . I've made cauliflower fried rice and it's really good .

My favorite is Cauliflower pizza crust with pesto and cheese . You can freshly grind the Cauliflower in a cuisinart and then let it sit for a bit on a clean towel  BUT the easy way is to buy it frozen. Trader Joes if you have one has a really good cauliflower pizza crust

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I’ll have to get some of that. I do have pizza, but I take the toppings off and eat those with no crust. Kind of wasteful. 

crustless pizza

Crush the contents of a can of tomatoes, add basil, oregano, mushrooms, onions, chopped peppers, a touch of garlic powder, heat & adjust seasonings to taste. Toss in some part skim mozzarella and enjoy. I like to also take some pepperoni slices, zap them in the microwave till crisped, then sprinkle them on top of my tomato mixture.

crispy zapped pepperoni slices also make a tasty snack, I should make DH some, I haven't made them lately.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the super low carb ideas.I am going to try spaghetti with the inside of a spaghetti squash sometime this week. or I may just wait till Sunday and have the real thing as I don't follow the low carb on Sundays.

Today I had oysters and shrimp with buttered steamed asparagus

It seems to be working even though I am not eating all the fat suggested. did have strawberries and cream yesterday though.

I am not a big lover of pizza but am interested in the cauliflower crust if anyone has time to post a recipe or link

With my cholesterol issues (my body makes its own triglycerides) I avoid all saturated fats I can.

We have gotten hooked on PBS' "No Passport Required"; last night chef Marcus was in Queens' Guyanan neighborhood showing off samples of their varied cuisines.

Beef stew yesterday.. just enough for one. I never put potatoes in stew but have them as a side dish  so I di  did cauli and home grown green beans instead.

Today I am using left over cauli to make a cauliflower cheese,one of the rare times I re cook anything, just a tad of cornstarch to thicken the sauce,  if I need to, it  shouldn't count for much, lots if strong English cheddar. I am going to do it with baked chicken. thigh and I will have  salad on the side or maybe some more green beans, they are growing so well at the moment,.

I am no longer going to buy the deli cooked chickens, which is a shame as they were very convenient. I used to buy many of them for my doggies. I don't know what it is but there is something amiss with them. The last three I have bought have given my Chihuahuas terrible runs , even my daughters dog who was here at the time got it. It was straight from the store and still hot and it has happened a few times. I never use the meat the next day cold, and I don't reheat it .It gets chucked in the freezer and eventually ends up in a soup but I don't trust it now.

I have one goose left in the freezer, I am going to try sawing it into 4 pieces while frozen as it won't bet used otherwise.

I don't eat much sweet stuff but I take a medication at night that has a side effect. After I take it I yearn sweet food. it is odd but I have to find something that will satisfy it .I have been eating fruit but it is too much sugar. Apart from sugar free jello I can't think of anything,.

1 minute ago, Thimble Hall said:

I am no longer going to buy the deli cooked chickens,

I've stopped buying deli cooked chicken, too. Used to buy it frequently, but have lost a taste for it. Something tastes "off".  It may be the stuff they baste it with, as the deli cooked pork also tastes off. 

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

I've stopped buying deli cooked chicken, too. Used to buy it frequently, but have lost a taste for it. Something tastes "off".  It may be the stuff they baste it with, as the deli cooked pork also tastes off. 

Me too if your talking about those roasted chickens . The last one I bought the chicken was mushy very strange texture . I didn't like it . I've been buying better meat and it's so expensive that I know eat less meat and more veggies since they come out of the garden.

Jeannine here is a recipe for cauliflower pizza thats good . https://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

The key is getting the water out of it the first recipe I tried didn't strain it and it was mushy to me also they really do have pretty good frozen cauliflower pizza crusts out there. Then you can make all kinds of variations of it . Mine is pesto ,bacon, red onion, and yummy cheese on 1/2 the other half my husband likes red sauce ,pepperoni ,olives, and cheese . I've also made it like a parmesan cheesy bread and cut into sticks .

2 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I don't eat much sweet stuff but I take a medication at night that has a side effect. After I take it I yearn sweet food. it is odd but I have to find something that will satisfy it .I have been eating fruit but it is too much sugar. Apart from sugar free jello I can't think of anything,.

After my husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes he started craving dessert. Before that he rarely ate dessert. These are some of the things I used to make for him that satisfied his sweet tooth while still helping to drop his blood sugar.

Low Carb Chocolate Mousse 
l pkt sugar free chocolate pudding
1 cup milk
l cup heavy cream
Dollop Cool Whip optional
Beat pudding and milk together with mixer for about half a minute on law speed til it
begins to thicken slightly. Add cream and beat, increasing speed as the mixture thickens.
Beat til thick, whipped and creamy. Fold in dollop of Cool Whip to taste.

low Carb Orange Mousse  
1 pkt vanilla instant pudding
1 c milk
½ pkt unsweeted orange Kool-aid
1 c heavy cream
Dollop cool whip, opt.    Beat pudding and milk together with mixer for about half a minute on law speed til it begins to thicken slightly. Add cream and beat, increasing speed as the mixture thickens. Beat til thick, whipped and creamy. Fold in dollop of Cool Whip to taste.

Low Carb brownies with cream cheese filling

the filling:

8 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons Splenda
1 egg    
Brownies
1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups Splenda
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate -- cut in pieces
2 teaspoons vanilla    4 large eggs
1 cup ground almonds -- sifted 3x
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 dash salt

Oven-350 F Spray a 9"x13" pan, set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese 
and 1/4 cup Splenda until smooth, add the egg and mix well.Set aside. In a large 
saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over very low heat, stirring 
constantly.{or use microwave}. Remove from heat, cool slightly. Stir in the 
Splenda and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each 
addition. Stir in ground almonds, baking powder and salt; mix well. Spread into 
the prepared pan. Carefully spoon the cream cheese filling over the brownie 
base; lightly swirl filling to create a pattern. Bake approximately 24 minutes 
minutes or until set.Test with a toothpick for doneness. 
Cool completely then cut into squares.

7 minutes ago, grazhina said:

After my husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes he started craving dessert. Before that he rarely ate dessert. These are some of the things I used to make for him that satisfied his sweet tooth while still helping to drop his blood sugar.

Low Carb Chocolate Mousse 
l pkt sugar free chocolate pudding
1 cup milk
l cup heavy cream
Dollop Cool Whip optional
Beat pudding and milk together with mixer for about half a minute on law speed til it
begins to thicken slightly. Add cream and beat, increasing speed as the mixture thickens.
Beat til thick, whipped and creamy. Fold in dollop of Cool Whip to taste.

low Carb Orange Mousse  
1 pkt vanilla instant pudding
1 c milk
½ pkt unsweeted orange Kool-aid
1 c heavy cream
Dollop cool whip, opt.    Beat pudding and milk together with mixer for about half a minute on law speed til it begins to thicken slightly. Add cream and beat, increasing speed as the mixture thickens. Beat til thick, whipped and creamy. Fold in dollop of Cool Whip to taste.

Low Carb brownies with cream cheese filling

the filling:

8 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons Splenda
1 egg    
Brownies
1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups Splenda
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate -- cut in pieces
2 teaspoons vanilla    4 large eggs
1 cup ground almonds -- sifted 3x
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 dash salt

Oven-350 F Spray a 9"x13" pan, set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese 
and 1/4 cup Splenda until smooth, add the egg and mix well.Set aside. In a large 
saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over very low heat, stirring 
constantly.{or use microwave}. Remove from heat, cool slightly. Stir in the 
Splenda and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each 
addition. Stir in ground almonds, baking powder and salt; mix well. Spread into 
the prepared pan. Carefully spoon the cream cheese filling over the brownie 
base; lightly swirl filling to create a pattern. Bake approximately 24 minutes 
minutes or until set.Test with a toothpick for doneness. 
Cool completely then cut into squares.

Considering I have a sweet tooth I will try these recipes thanks so much for posting .

Thank you for the recipes..the only problem I have is with the Splenda as it is quite high in carbs when used in recipes.. by the teaspoon of course it says it is carb free.. another marketing fib.

I will try the Brownie one though as I wanted to try a recipe with almond flour in , thank you so much for it. I have a huge bag of almond which I can run through my processor, apparently you can even make bread with it.

Nell I will also do the pizza crust from the recipe. I am not a big lover of pizza but am hoping if I can come up with a crust I can use it for other things too. Can the "riced" cauli be  successfully used as a sub for rice with a curry etc.

Bless you all

XX Jeannine

I changed my mind last night and had the cauli cheese as planned but did it with a rather large steak and two eggs and I am surprised ...I ate every bit.

Today will be lamb chops with steam veggies