Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Jodi, I cook for fun.  Going out to eat is a big deal.  Even if we were the sort of people who ordered out, we live too far out in the boonies for anyone to deliver.

We live on the outer edges of civilization, too, so Uber Eats and Grubhub are useless out here. Only a couple pizza places deliver, but they are expensive and aren't very good. Humph! Oh how I wish I liked to cook. It would make my husband so happy! I guess if I was better at it, it might be more appealing, but that is not a talent I got blessed with...

I am late on this topic but for those who may be still wondering re crockpots.In my opinion if they are the old round tall ones with a removable ceramic inner they will cook slow, if they are the new stainless steel ovals with a black inner they will cook faster. There will be others that fall somewhere in the middle but if someone is looking for one this is a good point. I have a tall old one and I can chuck a whole chicken in it with chunks of onion, carrot garbanzos, with some large size chunks of potato right at the top sort of steaming.I can go out first thing and come back at suppertime  or overnight and it is OK .With the newer ones  which usually have a high, low and warm setting ( some have automatic) it can't be done, they boil on low. I have three of the 8qt ones and they are  great for doing stuff for my community dinner  but I don't consider them slow cookers. I also have a 24 quart electric roaster and it is great for cooking large amounts. It will take a big turkey .I cook the community dinner soup in it and it doesn't have low.medium high etc  it has a dial from zero to 500.The really great thing about it is that heats from the sides not the bottom, so I can safely make a huge soup. chilli or spaghetti sauce and it never burns. Just thought I would share that for the newer cooks among us..

Dinner tonight was disgusting..I left it late, was busy and the babies started to cry at my feet. I quickly did some frozen burger patties with a microwaved potato and baked beans, it was terrible..but the Chihuahuas loved the beef patties.

I read on the page before about someone's Christmas  mashed potato, thank you for that, It will come in very useful for my community dinners.

Note to me, plan something decent for tomorrow, I have hardly eaten a thing in a week or more, I cook it, I love cooking, then I  look at it and say no to it. I seem to have no appetite at all except on the odd day now and again.

6 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...I have hardly eaten a thing in a week or more, I cook it, I love cooking, then I  look at it and say no to it. I seem to have no appetite at all except on the odd day now and again.

You're still grieving, dear heart.  Eat what you can, when you can, and try to eat a little something healthy every day.  Last night I cooked chicken thighs in honey and spicy brown mustard.

On 10/3/2017, 10:27:11, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

We live on the outer edges of civilization, too, so Uber Eats and Grubhub are useless out here. Only a couple pizza places deliver, but they are expensive and aren't very good. Humph! Oh how I wish I liked to cook. It would make my husband so happy! I guess if I was better at it, it might be more appealing, but that is not a talent I got blessed with...

I live out in the boonies too, there are no places that deliver, and only one place in town that sells food if you can call it that, they are mostly inedible except breakfast.  I rarely go out to eat unless I am traveling, it is 80 mile round trip to the nearest place that has a few restaurants, and a lot of them I wouldn't bother to go to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I live out in the boonies too, there are no places that deliver, and only one place in town that sells food if you can call it that, they are mostly inedible except breakfast.  I rarely go out to eat unless I am traveling, it is 80 mile round trip to the nearest place that has a few restaurants, and a lot of them I wouldn't bother to go to.

I am with you. Most places cost too much for what you get. are a hassle to get to, and are too noisy. I am happy with a good old roast beef sandwich with good tomatoes at home! :O)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Tonight I made this recipe for Swedish meatballs that DH went nuts over!

I drooled over the recipe, Holly, and printed it for future use. :)  Tonight I made a sort of shrimp étouffé with onion, garlic, celery, canned roasted tomatoes and tomato sauce. I had to use frozen shrimp, but it turned out well. I used a no-salt Creole seasoning mix that gave it just the right amount of oomph. I scoffed at tradition and served it over pasta instead  of rice.

We had our meatballs over noodles tonight.  When I made the sauce I toasted the flour and tonight I used my stainless steel skillet and made the first truly perfect chocolate-colored roux in my life!  Since I was using ground turkey I used some of my homemade chicken stock in place of the beef broth, and I added a tablespoon of Greek yogurt to the milk, since I had no cream.  I keep onions or shallots and garlic on hand.  We like our shrimp over rice, pasta or grits.  Have you made the étouffé with sun-dried tomatoes?  I was wondering because I have used them in BLTs and they are da bomb!

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

We  are blessed, living on the Gulf Coast, with many excellent restaurants to choose from.

Tonight I made this recipe for Swedish meatballs that DH went nuts over!

Mmmm... Those look good! I think the last time I had Swedish meatballs, it was a Lean Cuisine! Russ would love me forever if I made him some! :cheezy:

Last night's delicious fare was the oh so exotic grilled cheese and soup(not from scratch:ermm:)  I had a long day of errands with DS#2 and no ambition whatever.  Tonight's menu is DH and I will be out and the rest will eat the beef stew I made on Tuesday. I find my stew is better after a couple days in the fridge so there have been no complaints:eatyum:

• Like 1

Today is grocery day at Rouse's, with errands, so we shall start out on our way to Robertsdale, end up in Gulf Shores, with stop along the way; lunch out and supper is one of Rouse's own wonderfully loaded supreme pizzas.

I ate a great big meal last night,,thank goodness!! Lamb chops new potatoes with baby peas and buttered carrots, gravy and mintauce. oh yes and a little red cabbage as I had no Brussels sprouts which I usually do with lamb. It was lamb rack with 6 small chops on it. I ate three so tonight I have to eat the leftovers, hate leftovers but love lamb so I may be OK. I think I will panfry the potatoes to change them a bit though.  But I ate!!!!

I am trying to trim my freezer down so my meat is in 2 person servings which is about right for me and the babies. I have a very large prime rib roast and wondering what to do with it. It is far too big to cook just for me and I haven't had dinner guests for a while nor do I see it in the future and am wondering if I can saw it into 4 p[ieces  .Any ideas anyone

Tomorrow is the community dinner I cook for and luckily we have lots of cooked dishes pledged for  this week so it is a smaller job for me, just pies for dessert, rhubarb, chiffon pumpkin, apple, blueberry and tonight I will do a lemon meringue and a banana cream, Then about 5 buckets of Greek salad so no actual cooking tomorrow for which I am thankful as I haven't felt well all this last week.

Your chicken and dumplings sounds good, may I ask how you make the dumplings, I only know the English method which requires suet. I have to have the special suet shipped over which is a nuisance so I would like to  try a US version.

The Swedish meatballs would make an excellent dish for my community dinner thank you for the recipe, I will do them the week after next, as next week I have to do turkey and fixings.

On Tuesday, October 03, 2017 11:46:36, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

They do have deer jerky, and elk and bison, too! They make their own and have won many awards for it. I get it for my dad for his b-day and Christmas every year! Stewart's also has pre-seasoned baby back ribs. I made a heap of them for Tasha's college graduation party and was told by several people that they were the best ribs they's ever had. I think so, too! They have weekly steak specials for $4.99 - $5.99/lb, in 8oz cuts, and I have never had more tender steaks. I won't even order them at restaurants anymore because it's disappointing compared to the ones you can eat at home. Kind of a fun country drive to get out there, too!

It's on the list to visit!

Jodi, I still think the best pizza is Round Table Pizza. It's a little spicy and pricy, but I love it. If you go north on I-5, get off at the first Federal Way exit and turn left (going west - I forget how the exit ends). Stay in the far right hand lane. At the first light, turn right and you'll see a shopping center on your right sort of up on the bank. There's a Round Table right by the road, so you should see the sign. If you like Long John Silver's, there's also a KFC across from them that's also a Long John Silver's. Ohh, now I want Long John Silver's!

I'm having BeerBQ flank steak tonight. I already have it marinating, but I don't have a grill, so I'm going to do something a little different tonight.

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/06/beerbecue-beef-flank-steak-youll-have.html

When I have a chicken breast, I know I can "poach" them in chicken stock with some herbs. Also, when I use a sauce for chicken, I usually put the chicken breast in a pie dish and add the sauce and then bake the chicken in it. I've done that using hoisin, teriyaki, and balsamic BBQ sauce. I always get a delicious caramelization on the meat. I know I've also cook roast beef in sauce before, so tonight I'm going to take this BeerBQ sauce and bake the flank steak in it when it's through marinating. The sauce has molasses in it, so it should caramelize too. I have no idea how the steak is going to come out and it won't be sous vide, but hey, if it's edible, I'll be happy.

Oh, speaking of crock pots, here's an easy pork roast recipe:

Mix 1 cup of BBQ sauce (any kind) and 1 cup of Kraft Zesty Italian dressing together. Place your pork roast on some onions and then after you put it in the crock pot, pour the sauce over it. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. You can also fork the roast before you put it in, or sear it first or add carrots and potatoes if you want.

Hmmm...maybe I'll do for that tomorrow night.

• Like 1

I would trim the lamb off the bones, cut it into bite-size bits and stir-fry it with veggies and serve it over steamed rice or pasta.  We wound up going to 

Rouse's in Spanish Fort, so first headed out on the Causeway for lunch at the Blue Gill.  We have the Rouse's supreme pizza getting ready for baking.  We like them because they are loaded with so much veggies & meat we don't have to add another blessed thing.