Help, really stuck with my Fairfield now

Thimble Hall

As many of you know I started the Fairfield as  a memory house but there is not the choice of furniture that I wanted to do it that way. so I bought a bigger house for that purpose. I have perservered  with the little one though as I want to finish it and now have to make a move on the decoration but have hit a brick wall. I cannot for the life of me come up with a suitable theme for it.

I would appreciate any ideas any of you have . Maybe some kind of Storybook theme, at the moment it is standing bare.

Would a few of you perhaps share your ideas for a non people house, or a special people house . If I can't come up with something I will have to shelve it for now and I would much rather finish it. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on furniture, I would rather invest that money in the memory house. I do have some small kits I bought of ebay but it is very basic furniture.

The only idea I have come up with involves 1920ish   children and fairies.. but I am not sure.

Anyway if anyone can prompt me a bit I would appreciate it..

I was thinking that maybe you could do it up as a rescued animal house. It would be fun to have each room be for specific species, such as a rodent room, a dog room, a cat room, a bovine room etc... You could search for a Mother Goose doll and have her in the kitchen cooking for all of the residents. It would be fun to collect different felted animals you find along the way, or make your own with the inexpensive 1/24th scale resin animal figures available. Each room could have a specific wallpaper theme, such as trees in the rodent room for the squirrels. You could make a 3D tree with little homes inside for the residents. An aviary room for birds with fancy cages etc... Just a thought, in keeping in the "fantasy" genre. 

• Like 1

I don't have that great of an imagination but my sister does. She is starting her first house and she has some funny and clever ideas that she's been playing around with. One of them is a "scene of the crime" house.  There was a woman named Frances Glessner Lee who used to build them in 1:12 scale:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/murder-miniature-nutshell-studies-unexplained-death-180949943/

Also, my sister was thinking maybe a hoarder house. This one is in 1:6 scale:

slide_203168_585775_huge.thumb.jpg.cc92d

I've seen many pics of haunted houses, scientist's laboratories, libraries, etc., that are so much fun. And I always thought the Fairfield would make a perfect little church with its prominent tower.

The possibilities are endless and the Fairfield is such a cool little house it's worth making it your own personal little place and not having to rely on pre-made furniture items. I'm really excited to see what you end up doing with it! :)

• Like 1

Jeannine, I suggest you do put it on the back burner until you feel really inspired to do something.  I find I can't really work on my house unless I have had an inspiration and want to carry it through.  It may only take a few days until something you really want to do comes to you.    On the other hand, I really like the ideas of the Mother Goose house and animal house.  The hoarder house is amazing, not sure what that says about my housekeeping.  LOL.  I hope you get an inspiration soon.  

My 1:24 scale Jefferson became an abandoned house when I couldn't bring my original vision to life.  It was actually really fun to do and nice for a first dollhouse project to make something that purposely looked imperfect.  I am a clean freak in real life so it was strangely satisfying to make something that was grimy and cluttered.  Lol!  Now that I have it back from being entered the county fair, I have started to renovate it though!  I just couldn't bear to leave it messy!! :p

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Amber Celeste said:

My 1:24 scale Jefferson became an abandoned house when I couldn't bring my original vision to life.  It was actually really fun to do and nice for a first dollhouse project to make something that purposely looked imperfect.  I am a clean freak in real life so it was strangely satisfying to make something that was grimy and cluttered.  Lol!  Now that I have it back from being entered the county fair, I have started to renovate it though!  I just couldn't bear to leave it messy!! :p

I would love to see the photos of your abandoned house.

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Schleich makes some really nice plastic animals:  https://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/

Those are great, Holly! Perfect candidates for flocking! I've bookmarked the page. Never know when you might need a sloth! :D

Some great ideas. I admired the hoarder house but not for me, I am also a neat freak and would want to tidy it.Ditto the abandoned house. I have bought all the beautiful little light fittings so they would be wasted .

The animal link was great  plastic is t not really my thing although I would like to see some of them flocked .

Goldilocks and the three bears is on my short list, the snag with that one is there are really too many rooms for it to be authentic. In the story the baby bear has a bed in his parents room.

Has any one seen the movie Fairytale , A True Story.. It is the story of 2 children aged 12 and 9 I think who claim to have seen fairies. Set in rural England in the first world war time, they take photographs of them, in the final scene the two girls are in bed, actually in a split attic exactly like the Fairfield one and the fairies come in to see them. There are many rooms in the house including a dark room and the little house will accommodate the movie rooms. I like the era and the house is suitable but the fairies would create quite a challenge as they would be so tiny. It is a true story by the way, although the girls in their final years did admit it was a hoax. In the final scene one of the girls has the queen of the fairies standing on her fingehttps:

Tried to put a youtube link on but couldn't

• Like 2

Patti that is a great idea, I shall give that one some serious thought. I might just spend a bit of time playing fairies and see what I can come up with.

My other thought was Cinderella, Cinders in the kitchen in rags , Buttons, the terrible ugly sisters in their posh rooms, Cinders in the attic, the Prince at the door with a glass slipper , the mice, pumpkin etc  even maybe a coach with Cinders going to the ball leaving her rags on her bed.

I think I need to shelve it for a while I am getting a bit squiffy now, not a good thing to try and do in a hurry me thinks.I will just play fairies for a while.

39 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

I think I need to shelve it for a while

Good idea. If you hold back on trying to impose an idea/theme on a house, it will often tell you what it wants. One morning you will wake up knowing how it's going to play out. :)

I had a Washington 2.0 started as a farmhouse. It sat for nearly two years because I just couldn't get into it. I wasn't happy with the way it was evolving, and I could tell the house wasn't happy, either. Then one day it grabbed me and said, "I want to be a haunted house!" And so was born the Haunted Hangout

45 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Good idea. If you hold back on trying to impose an idea/theme on a house, it will often tell you what it wants. One morning you will wake up knowing how it's going to play out. :)

I had a Washington 2.0 started as a farmhouse. It sat for nearly two years because I just couldn't get into it. I wasn't happy with the way it was evolving, and I could tell the house wasn't happy, either. Then one day it grabbed me and said, "I want to be a haunted house!" And so was born the Haunted Hangout

Which is so typical as soon as I had my Washington 2.0 kit in my hot little hands it demanded to become a farmhouse.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

KathieB I love your Haunted Hangout and your Creole Cabin.  So creative.

Lovely houses super nice, I enjoyed seeing them very much. I do think I need to shelve it for a while, although having said that I just picked up a heap of stuff at the border so I think I will keep it handy and add to it as far as I can go..then I can concentrate on something else

Every time I look at one of the houses on this site I gain a bit more knowledge and a host of ideas. I would never have thought about a haunted house but it looks fascinating.

Thank you all so much, I know I am a pest with my questions but you all have so much knowledge and skills and the houses themselves are rather new to me but I really do appreciate you all taking the time to answer and help. you are a bunch of great gals

XX Jeannine

Jeannine, honey, if this forum doesn't exist to answer questions and help other builders, what is its purpose?  And you have no idea how much your questions will help others who hadn't even thought to ask.  As KathieB & I (and a lot of the other members if they'll admit it) have mentioned, after a while the kits will talk to you nd tell you what thy want, and if you listen to them and do as they ask, you will be amazed and pleased at the results.  I  wanted my Glencroft to be Miss Marple's cottage, but it wanted to become a pub.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, pgwyn said:

I would love to see the photos of your abandoned house.

I will try to upload some!  I usually have a lot of trouble trying to upload to the galleries on here for some reason though. :( I have lots of pictures of it on my Instagram.  My account is name is dollhousejournal.  :)