Help, really stuck with my Fairfield now

Thimble Hall

On 9/28/2017, 3:43:19, Jeannine said:

The animal link was great  plastic is t not really my thing although I would like to see some of them flocked .

I flocked a schleich cat. The cat is slightly large though. Even slightly too large for 1/12 so they would definitely be too large for 1/24. Schleich and other plastic animal makers all work in different scales and they are not even consistent within their own brand. For instance the Schleich cat is slightly to large and the Golden Retriever is about 1:13 scale.. go figure. I found this blog post that compares brands and scales. 

https://minizoosite.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/size-comparisons-of-animal-toy-brands/

But my suggestion would be to check measurements on each individual animal before purchasing. Horses in particular are not even close to 1/12 but may work for 1/24. (Except for Breyer horses which are 1:12)

Before

13771_05c909ea-58bc-4b8b-8510-4008033f5e

After

IMG_3003.JPG

4 minutes ago, Samusa said:

I flocked a schleich cat. The cat is slightly large though. Even slightly too large for 1/12 so they would definitely be too large for 1/24. Schleich and other plastic animal makers all work in different scales and they are not even consistent within their own brand. For instance the Schleich cat is slightly to large and the Golden Retriever is about 1:13 scale.. go figure. I found this blog post that compares brands and scales. 

https://minizoosite.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/size-comparisons-of-animal-toy-brands/

But my suggestion would be to check measurements on each individual animal before purchasing. Horses in particular are not even close to 1/12 but may work for 1/24. (Except for Breyer horses which are 1:12)

Before

13771_05c909ea-58bc-4b8b-8510-4008033f5e

After

IMG_3003.JPG

That is Very Good To Know information. As always with minis, buyer beware!

I LOVE your flocked kitty! So much so that I bought flocking to try on the little beagle puppy in the Christmas cottage. Sadly, I did not notice that it was GLITTER flock, so I may need to leave him plain until I can source more of the non glittered variety. I found a supplier on eBay, only $2.99/free shipping for a dozen colors, but I didn't want to wait on that slow boat from China!  :D I am really excited to give it a try, though!!!

5 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

That is Very Good To Know information. As always with minis, buyer beware!

I LOVE your flocked kitty! So much so that I bought flocking to try on the little beagle puppy in the Christmas cottage. Sadly, I did not notice that it was GLITTER flock, so I may need to leave him plain until I can source more of the non glittered variety. I found a supplier on eBay, only $2.99/free shipping for a dozen colors, but I didn't want to wait on that slow boat from China!  :D I am really excited to give it a try, though!!!

I don't know, I think a glitter puppy would be super cute in a Christmas house. :D

6 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Maybe it would! Make it so that it looks like he/she got into a box of glitter! :clap:

Perfect.. Make a little open box of glitter too!

Great info thank you.

Oh the kitty is superb, stunning I love it. I hate plastic stuff but as a base it  obviously deserves a good place. I keep going back and looking at the kitty!!

Now I am going to find some flocking and some instructions as I have never done it.Maybe I could find a laying down lion and make it look like the lion skin rug I wanted or at least use the head and attach it to a softer body.

My Fairfield is shelved for the moment.I have just cleared my work table . I am very vague about the week John died,I found cruising the mini sites took my mind of things but  I ordered things and  got it all wrong. I double ordered on some things and didn't order others. I got one parcel from someone I don't remember ordering from, fortunately  is was very nice half sized shingles, which I already had.. I have now  had to order the things I missed which was patio railings etc, I ordered double stair railings somehow, ditto the tall uprights, and I am a bit nervous that something else unexpected turns up, so thought it best to wait a while and pick the little house up again in a month or two. I have double of several things including  extra lights. Shame it wasn't 12th scale.I will need to get another half scale house to use all these bits up. But I shall choose very wisely, sometime down the road.

8 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Karin, I thought you might, I just have to be abale to make or find tiny tiny fairies..any ideas?

Holly.. is the Glencroft a difficult house???

For really tiny fairies I'd try something with a bead & bits of jewelry wire for the head & body and maybe finer wire  & clear glue for the wings, and hang them from bits of monofilament line.

The Glencroft is one you would want to build after you've acquired some kills with the smaller ones.  The bay on the Sugarplum will definitely help.  I also recommend reading over the Team Glencroft building blog.

Holly what is the hang up with the Glencroft, I intended doing it last of the three, I have the Sugarplum on my table at the moment. I managed the Fairfield O and changed a lot of things, it was finding the appropriate furniture that was the problem.

Bead fairies is a good idea, I did make a few  Fimo heads a few days ago and could make a mold from them if I decide to go that route but I would like to get them even smallerS still wrestling with the choices for the house, nothing comes out and grabs me, and I absolutely hate unfinished things.

21 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Great info thank you.

Oh the kitty is superb, stunning I love it. I hate plastic stuff but as a base it  obviously deserves a good place. I keep going back and looking at the kitty!!

Now I am going to find some flocking and some instructions as I have never done it.Maybe I could find a laying down lion and make it look like the lion skin rug I wanted or at least use the head and attach it to a softer body.

Thanks Jeannine!.. It's a fiddly process but the results are fun. There are heaps of youtube videos to watch on the process. With your crafting skills you could probably even make your own animals from fimo with a wire armature. 

I think using a schleich or similar lion head and attaching it to a fake fur body/mat would work great for your matt. I would flock a female lion head so you can add the longer mane parts as you wish rather than trying to flock around a plastic one. You could even add little pieces of black wire to the feet for claws. :)

The tutorials I have seen for flocking use regular wool knitting worsted in the correct colors for the critter being flocked.  I think nice, sharp embroidery scissors would be best for clipping it into flocking.

• Like 1

I looks a lot on you tube and there was a lady who started with an armature, then fimo, then she put fur on then trimmed it but I don't think that is flocking. She use mohair for doll wigs and I have loads of that already ,  I need to find one on flocking powder I think. I will check out the animal links you gave me Samantha as I need a dog and a very old cat, and maybe a black one or two as well

51 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

I looks a lot on you tube and there was a lady who started with an armature, then fimo, then she put fur on then trimmed it but I don't think that is flocking. She use mohair for doll wigs and I have loads of that already ,  I need to find one on flocking powder I think. I will check out the animal links you gave me Samantha as I need a dog and a very old cat, and maybe a black one or two as well

You can make your own flocking from the mohair you have on hand. Just cut it with embroidery scissors into a really fine powder. I used the same technique (trimmed once on the animal) so I could get a long haired cat with a fluffy tail. I just used flocking on the face and legs.

9 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I watched that video too, then had visions of sheep, alpacas and llamas using the wool from mine!  Maybe a farm dollhouse should be in my future!

I can't really source mohair where I am so I use the best quality merino wool I can find. Try to find it already combed not rolled for knitting. You can use knitting wool to make the flocking but if you comb it out for longer hair it maintains it's kink so would be good for a terrier breed like an Airedale but not for anything smooth coated. 

I have never used viscose on my dolls so that is new to me thank you holly.

Samatha, I have a huge hoard of wool, some is still fleece , some is spun  but not in plys,, the old Buffalo wool that the Cowichan sweaters were made of., I have a huge box of it. All shades of greys,  browns,black  and white. If that will work it will be better still as it is not real shiny and I noticed on some of the videos the fur was unnaturally shiny. Thank you