Greetings from Florida's panhandle.

Giant Robot

Hey everybody, my name is Chris, I'm 42, I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old and they're both girls and I'm a single dad. 

I've been working on the Orchid doll house for about a week now ( pretty much at night after work and when the kids are in bed ) and I'm moving along pretty nicely with my prep work. This is my first dollhouse. My dad gave it to (still in the box) a few years ago. He had got it to build it for my daughters and I think he opened it up and got overwhelmed. I had it under my end table until we found a dollhouse on the side of the road one day that someone had thrown out. I grabbed it and have been studying it until I realized that I should just go ahead and build the orchid. The girls have been getting excited and we're fixing up the other one as well so we can goof around with painting and decorating practice.

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Chris & daughters.  Where in the Panhandle are you?  I'm just across the Perdido River from Pensacola, here in Seminole, AL.  When you have made five posts you can make albums of your build & your rehab.  There are two Team building blog for the Orchid and I have built it once in wood nd once in plastic, and I have another one I found in a thrift store built with hot glue & falling apart (please use carpenter's wood glue to put yours together!) that I will eventually rebuild.

23 hours ago, Giant Robot said:

We're in Tallahassee. I thought you were gonna say that you lived in Havana. That's the town just north of here, just before Georgia. 

We lived in Havana for over 20 years, moved over here in 2011, as DH is originally from this end of FL and we found THE house in Seminole, AL.  Our youngest son lives in Tallahassee, so we get back over that way from time to time.  

BTW, when we moved I considered changing my username here and was requested to stay "havanaholly".  No way would I consider incorporating any part of Seminole, though; I attended UF and will always be a 'Gator.

• Like 1

That's all I feel like I'm working on is window trim. I'm obsessed with joint compound and I've been using a stiff bristled brush to slather it all over every part, then going back over it all with a sanding block and Emory boards. This is definitely nothing but ditch digging.

2 hours ago, Giant Robot said:

That's all I feel like I'm working on is window trim. I'm obsessed with joint compound and I've been using a stiff bristled brush to slather it all over every part, then going back over it all with a sanding block and Emory boards. This is definitely nothing but ditch digging.

My hero, I've been recommending drywall compound for years. It really is the easiest way to get a smooth finish. I have to sand it outside because my lungs have been exposed to too many real life construction projects so sanding compound can really irritate me and give me a cough for a few days. But that doesn't stop me from doing it safely, outside and with the wind to my back. Love the end product.

• Like 1

Joint compound, spackling compound, drywall mud; whatever sands smooth when dry and can be textured when wet is a lightweight all-purpose dollhouse product.  I apply it with a putty knife and sand it with a sanding block.

• Like 1