Daily Musings and Weird Questions

rodentraiser

So this morning I was reevaluating my life. I had wandered into the kitchen to make breakfast, but before I could make breakfast, I had to wash dishes and before I could wash dishes, I  had to put away the dishes in the dish drainer from yesterday (or was it the day before?). At any rate, that started me thinking (God help us) of the things I knew I could never accomplish in this life.

For instance, waking up in the morning looking like a movie star. You've seen those people. Starlets who don't look over 18 waking up in bed, hair perfectly groomed and shining, eyes bright, makeup still looking great. Now me, I wake up with both eyes tightly shut, crusties in their corners, no makeup, and my hair looks like I met Bela Lugosi in my nightmare. And how many of you have seen these lovely starlets ready and able to have a deep conversation with whomever they're sharing the bed as soon as their little peepers open? Me, I'd have to be conversing from the bathroom since it's the first thing I run to as soon as I can open my eyes enough to see. And even that's not a guarantee of not hitting the wall in my ardor to dash to the toilet.

This got me to wondering about burglars. Sure, they case the joint they're going to rob. But does that really prepare them for what they're getting into? I mean, you might be a burglar and have a house all scoped out, but what happens once you're inside that house in the middle of a dark night? If you see dishes piled up in the sink, 32 cans of cat food on the counter, and dozens of half done dollhouses on the dining room table, isn't that your first clue you're not dealing with a sane resident?

Personally, I've never worried about a burglar where I live. All I'd have to do is get up and confront him. Seeing a fat woman wearing only a nightshirt (that picture alone should scare the daylights out of everyone) who lurches out of the darkness with hair standing on end in every direction would probably make any burglar run like a rabbit, in addition to permanently curing his drinking problem.

Ah, well. The dishes in the drainer are probably dry now, so I can move the drainer to the cutting board and start to prepare breakfast, making more dishes. And maybe by tomorrow I'll get those done.

Weird question of the day: Why, after inventing 45" large screen TVs, do we think we've advanced when we watch movies on phones with screens the size of my eyeglass lenses?

Anyone else go off the deep end here occasionally? Put your musings, dark thoughts, and weird questions here and the rest of us will commiserate with you.

And no, there's no point to any of this.:eekout:

• Like 5

Not sure how much one should actually admit to in this post ... hmmm ... perhaps anonymous entries would be safer ... hmmm

:prop:  :hehe: 

It's kind of scary that I can follow your wandering trail of thoughts when I didn't even think them ...

:groan:  :fear:

• Like 1

Kelly marvelous musings and yes of course I relate to many . I always wonder about the   pampered lady whose maid brings her breakfast in bed at 11am and she starts to read the newspaper on the tray as she drinks her coffee..maybe when you get to that status in life you are able to buy yourself out of the  tedious chore we speak of.

Since I moved into the carriage house from the big house I have only 1 bathroom, no ensuite and I sleep elle naturelle, now at 3 am I am not going to don a robe to go, but for 2 steps on my journey I am in view of a window so if there is anyone lurking he will see something that looks remarkably like Mrs Doubtfire without her top clothing on,  and I am not kidding,. 

Mobile phones , my first was huge with a long antenna, then they got smaller and the smaller they got the more money you paid, the ones that had a flap over were even more expensive as they  were "protected" now they are so big my hand is too small, they have no cover and if you flick a speck of dust off the picture takes a hike,,progress?? I love my old tiny one that sat beautifully in my cleavage and it went everywhere with me. I remember a wee kid at school telling me "my boobies are ringing belles"

I have a sister who has been married several times and she always has a face on, she goes to bed last so she can clean off the casting on her face and gets up first so she can put it on. She used to tell me that men didn't want to see a bare face... Do you think she may have been wrong!!

I often wonder about clothing, take ladies underwear for instance, in my day it was shocking to let a bra strap show, now they go shopping in them.The nether region garment is even more scary, we have progressed from long bloomers that covered the ankles to pieces of string. I  want to stay alive long enough to  find out where the fashion goes next, really how much smaller can they go!!

• Like 1

At the seafood festival we went to last night the vendors who had lights in their tents were staying open and the one whose sign said he was selling fishing clothing had a row of female mannequin torsi lined up across the front of his counter wearing briefer bikinis than I have ever seen in any issue of Sports Illustrated; I told the man behind the counter I didn't know where he went fishing, but if I went fishing in that I'd wind up in hospital with skin cancer.  I still wonder where the old lady in the mirror came from.

I have mused on pretty much all of the above. Today once again I wondered, how come on TV, whenever someone wakes up and thinks they hear a burgler in the house, why do they silently skulk about in the dark looking for the intruder? Wouldn't it be better to turn on the lights and maybe say something like, "Hey, Fred, I think I hear something downstairs", then go and turn on some more lights and scare the possible intruder away? I've done that, and stomped around in the bedroom because DH was out of town.

We had a potential break in once. The guy thought no one was home since the family room and kitchen were in the back of the house, leaving the front of the house in darkness. I happened to pass by the front door window and looked out, and saw him approaching the house. When he saw my outine he ran away as fast as he could.

• Like 2

I have had many nights with insomnia lately. I found myself laying in bed last night designing an elaborate system to hide and move through the house with no one knowing where I was. A set of secret stairs under the bed that led to a self sustainable basement. A dumbwaiter that one could put themselves into to take them to other levels and depths of the house in case the basement was discovered. I still hadn't figured out what to do with the trash or sewerage before I finally fell asleep. A tired mind is just plain weird.

• Like 2

Jodi, my dream last night involved staging a home wedding with decorations and banners as a cover to let the intended bride escape (from what, I'm not sure, just know that her life was in danger and we would never know what will become of her as contacting us would put her in danger). I guess the groom was the baddie, but he resembled Sheldon Cooper. I'm not even sure who the bride was. All I knew was that her safety was my responsibility. My dream mind was busy as can be plotting ways to convince the groom that the bride would be appearing momentarily while giving her time to make her getaway. It involved postponements as we decided to move the wedding site from upstairs to a finished basement and a lot of other shenanigans. 

I wonder at times where I've picked up all of the bits and pieces that eventually become pieces in the dream mosaic.

• Like 1

I have certain themes that recur in my dreams (I do dream in color) that used to make me doubt my sanity until I read a theory that our dreams are our brains cataloguing and filing information, sort of like a computer.  I don't think about the ramifications of that, but it makes my dreams more entertaining.

Kathie, how is the novel coming along?

Speaking of dreams - night before last I dreamed I was murdered, then I woke up and fell back asleep. Later, in another dream, i was almost murdered again, by a crazed psychotic 6 year old serial killer who was on the roof of the car and reaching down through the sunroof to hatchet us. By the way, every time I've been killed in a dream I just turn into another character and the dream continues.

I always thought no one died in a dream.I frequently dream about being in chaos Different scenarios but always chaos and  in the chaos I am desperate for a bathroom but everyone I find is broken or over flowing, Horrible dream which wakes me up with a start, it happened tonight which is why I am here typing at 3.30 am. I had a wonderful dream about John a few weeks ago but I will wait for another time to tell you about that,

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I always thought no one died in a dream.I frequently dream about being in chaos Different scenarios but always chaos and  in the chaos I am desperate for a bathroom but everyone I find is broken or over flowing, Horrible dream which wakes me up with a start, it happened tonight which is why I am here typing at 3.30 am. I had a wonderful dream about John a few weeks ago but I will wait for another time to tell you about that,

Me, too, Jeannine. What's with all the broken bathrooms? Or inhibiting stalls without doors? When the desperation level rises high enough to awaken me, I trot down the [real life] hall and all is well again. I figure when I don't wake up in time it will be time to check into The Home. :D 

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, how is the novel coming along?

It's percolating. :) Found the first draft while unpacking the other day. It's noodling around in the back of my brain.

When I dream that I die I either wake up or else go on doing whatever it was I was doing.  The bathrooms reflect some of the awful, scary RL ones I've had the great misfortune to see.  Another recurring feature I have from time to time are Willy Wonka-type elevators and MC Escher stairs.

9 hours ago, Jeannine said:

6 hours ago, KathieB said:

Me, too, Jeannine. What's with all the broken bathrooms? Or inhibiting stalls without doors? When the desperation level rises high enough to awaken me, I trot down the [real life] hall and all is well again. I figure when I don't wake up in time it will be time to check into The Home. :D 

I have this gross bathroom dream too.. It's usually a public restroom and all the toilets are clogged to overflowing and have broken doors or no doors. It must mean something if it's that common!.. *runs off to google* :D

That is amazing, I thought it  so weird and I am not the only one.

The other dream I have regularly is going into a house, usually a huge mansion type house, I think I am going to rent  or buy part of it, and in the dream I am shown areas with stored furniture, beautiful antiques just piled high , beautiful to die for treasures that I could never afford in real life and I am told I can take  whatever I want, then the lease signing starts, there is no pen, the light goes out, the other person tales a phone call etc etc in the meantime some other potential renters come in several of them each with someone doing the paperwork . I was there first but. not being someone who would fight for the right, I get this panicky feeling when they are  shown  the furniture and I feel like I am running out of time and it gets  worse all the time. it is an awful dream, I guess it represents loss of control or something

I have a similar house dream, Jeannine, except it's either a variation of the house we lived in in the late '70s or else my grandmother's friend's mansion .  A Freudian shrink would have a field day with us!

Years ago, when my 2 older kids were still children, I used to have a recurring dream that a bad guy was trying to break into the back door of our house to do us harm. I'd get the kids out the front door and start to drive away, but the baddie would persue us until I woke up. Sometimes we wouldn't be able to get out of the house and I'd try to call for help on the phone, but the person at the other end of the line wouldn't be able to hear me and they'd hang up on me. I'd keep trying to use the phone until I woke up. One day in reality, there was a problem concerning our older son and I needed to reach my husband who, of course, was out of state. I called his hotel, but the operator couldn't hear me and hung up on me. I tried again, she still couldn't hear me and disconnected again. I wound up going across the street to my neighbor's house and used their phone to get through to my husband. I never had the - we're in peril and the phone won't work - dream again.

You guys are taking this thread where not even the Enterprise goes!:eek:

I've had a couple of dreams where I've died and they stay with me - they're pretty horrible. In one I got shot in the head and in another one, the car I was driving went off the road off a cliff.

I always dream I'm looking for a toilet and then I wake up and have to go to the bathroom. I had a therapist tell me once that that is very common. Sort of like your mind's way of interpreting your body's needs. What I'm worried about is some day In my dream, I'm going to find a toilet and go. And then wake up and find out I've wet the bed. That's when they can put ME in a home.

Do you guys remember your dreams? I swear, I'll go to bed at night and remember the dream I had before I woke up in the morning. My dreams are very vivid and uncomfortable, so I really would prefer that I forget them.

12 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I always dream I'm looking for a toilet and then I wake up and have to go to the bathroom. I had a therapist tell me once that that is very common. Sort of like your mind's way of interpreting your body's needs. What I'm worried about is some day In my dream, I'm going to find a toilet and go. And then wake up and find out I've wet the bed. That's when they can put ME in a home.

Do you guys remember your dreams?

That's it, exactly, Kelly. The day I find a working commode in my dream and go is the day I take a one-way trip to The Home. :D

I only remember my dreams once in a while. I know they are vividly colorful and action packed, but the details mainly slip away as I awaken, unless it has a big impact on my subconscious (unconscious?) .

I um... actually did wet the bed during a "have to pee" dream. Luckily, I was pregnant with a gigantic baby (he's 6'6" now) so I could blame it on the weight on my bladder!

I think the wet floors, no stall doors, no TP, people laughing at me, dirty bathroom dreams are to prevent me from experiencing this type of horrifying embarrassment again. Imagine having to wake your husband up to tell him you've wet the bed. :doh:

I have determined that I see color, can smell and taste in my dreams.  I have also had the bathroom dream where I am frantically searching for a bathroom.  The one that bothers me the most is the recurring dream where I lose my purse.  I never lose it in RL but in my dreams it is every couple of months.  Oh well.

In high school, eons ago, my bugaboo dream was arriving at school in my pajamas and forgetting my locker combination so as not to be able to get to the clothes in it. Interesting that I remember it so clearly more than half a century later.

Well, while we're talking about dreams... I also have very vivid dreams, mostly when I'm in the bed alone. On weekends my husband stays up late, and that's when the craziest dreams happen. I've gotten up many times so mad at him, or confused and talking about crazy things. Usually takes him a minute to convince me I'm dreaming.

The recurring dreams I have usually involve people being in my house, and it's usually work related. So whatever project is currently happening at work, also takes place in my house. So I'll get up and clean my room and look out the windows, worrying about people seeing my messy room (it's not messy) or where everyone is parked. Sometimes I'll go walking through the house looking for people.

And yes, I sleep walk. I have locked myself out of the house at night before.

I also have the sleeping paralysis, where I can't move or breathe or scream for help. That is the worse.

But, I've never had the bathroom dream!!