Duracraft Sweetheart

Normiu

Hello all,

yesterday I got the fortune of getting for free a Duracraft Seeetheart DH to rehab. I would like to transform it into a shabby chic or Tudor house, but it has been painted in navy blue and white. if I decide for the Tudor, I guess the color won't matter as I would like to stucco it, but if decide for the Sabby I would have to use siding, or paint on top. What would be everyone's suggestions? Would a stucco shabby chic look good too I wonder?

Another question I have is, I would like to change the windows and door, how you take apart pieces already glue? 

Thank you in advance for your help

2 hours ago, Normiu said:

...I would like to change the windows and door, how you take apart pieces already glue?...

Ty warm water mixed with some white vinegar to see if that will soften the glue,  I use an old metal putty knife to pry off the frames.

• Like 1

And if the water/white vinegar mix doesn't completely do the trick- try a heat gun or hair dryer to heat and soften the glue. 

If you decide to paint the siding....is the siding the navy blue?  If so, my options would be 1.) use a paint remover (and the proper protective gloves!) to scrape off as much of the dark color paint as possible. Lightly sand. Use a good quality primer and then paint.  2.) Lightly sand and then paint with a good primer, like Kilz...then paint.

Have fun!  I enjoy the challenge of a good rehab!  :D

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Jackie is spot-on about heat to take things apart but beware around plastic window panes... if you want to re-use them keep the heat off.  I cut plugs out of corrugated cardboard that fit between the jamb.  I also use aluminum foil to protect adjacent areas and to focus heat where I want it.  I try to heat to a temperature I can touch but not leave my hand on for long, then wait for the heat to penetrate to the glue down in the joint... several minutes for 1/8" and more as the wood gets thicker.  I also love the slimmest cake-icing spatula for taking the heat into the joint and lifting away parts as they are ready.

Taking things apart takes time and patience but the results are certain with heat.

• 2 months later...