The very best half scale house?

Thimble Hall

Ok so my Fairfield did not work out for the project I had in mine and is being finished with a different theme and will be decorated very differently.

I need to find another half scale house to use up all the fancy fittings, lights etc that I bought for the Fairfield and all the other extras I bought for it.

So my question is .. any brand , even one retired that I can search for, what would be the  half scale house you would put at the top of your list if you vou could only have one?

Well I love my Fairfield - but I think this 1/2 scale would be fantastic - and one of our member's listed an amazing finished one on ebay not long ago:

http://www.majesticmansions.com/product/half-scalemorningside-mansion/

Beautiful finished one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dollhouse-Morningside-Mansion-1-24-partially-furnished-fourteen-rooms/292270678901

It depends on what style you like but I have really enjoyed Laser Dollhouse Designs: http://www.laserdollhouses.com/online-store.php#!/1-24-Scale-Dollhouses/c/8577029/offset=0&sort=priceDesc

They aren't cheap but the level of detail and the amount of fun to build is fantastic! I have a 1:24 Lisa that has been one of the most fun projects yet. It is huge though for half scale.

If you want something smaller and/or less expensive than one of these (bungalow or small colonial) might do the trick: http://www.miniatures.com/124-Scale-Dollhouses-C373.aspx

I've always been intrigued by the Laser Dollhouses houses (I had my eye on the Jasmine for a long time), but don't they come with all the laser cut trim, siding, etc.?  If the idea is to use up the fancy fittings Jeannine bought, then that might defeat the purpose.  I personally love the RGT houses, but they also come with everything you need.  The Victorian for which they showed the component kit on on miniatures.com looks great, but where the heck is the house itself?  I can't even find it by searching on the item number!  What about something like the Greenleaf Tennyson?  It looks like it would do well with Victorian trim, and it's not too big, meaning that it might be easier to furnish than the Fairfield.  Another possibility might be Earth & Tree's Litchfield.  Again, you get only the shell, to trim as you see fit, and I know their houses  go together well.

Thanks some good ideas there. The Morningside was interesting but I was not keen on ]it being open at the side.

The Hannah I agree with you, the inside was disappointing

All the laser cut ones..I am not so keen on the flat laser cut trims, I prefer the rounded look of spindles etc whiv=ch I now have loads of

I have looked at the RGT ones and some of their shells I like but are out of stock and  I can't seem to find pictures of the back sides on their site.

I would prefer not  to tab and slot this time  so that lets Greenleaf out I think.

The problem with furnishing the Fairfield was that I wanted particular high end  and it simply was not available. I spent 5 days trying to find a kitchen and when I did it had too may pieces so I had to cancel it

I do appreciate the help. Deborah I know you work in half scale may I ask what have you done apart from the Fairfield pleas?

I agree that most kits now come with the windows. What I would do if I had the fancy windows and doors (which really are the expensive part) is build a shell out of foam board. You could design it however you wanted, and the cost would be minimal. Other than that, I would search for a Real Good Toys shell so you could use your components.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Deborah I know you work in half scale may I ask what have you done apart from the Fairfield pleas?

As far as houses go, so far, just the RGT Half-Scale Craftsman Bungalow and the Earth & Tree Merrimack (in progress).  Neither of those was a slot and tab, and both went together beautifully.  However, neither would lend itself to Victorian embellishment, either.  That's why I thought the Earth & Tree Litchfield might be a possibility.  You might also check out Emily's (fov) blog:  http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/  She also works in half scale, and has done of houses.  If you scroll down, you can see "tags" for the various houses she's built.  You might find some inspiration there.

DId you already consider the Front opening RGT Townhouse? https://www.realgoodtoys.com/products/1-2-scale-front-opening-east-side-townhouse-dollhouse-kit

I think the fairfield is a great victorian cottage. It lacks some grand features - but can be done up to be quite fancy. BUT, I agree - if you want grand victorian I don't think the Fairfield is a fit for you. 

What about...the Buckhead? I saw the Brookhaven in person and it was quite lovely. But yes it does open on the sides. It would need plexiglass side inserts to keep dust out.

http://www.majesticmansions.com/product/half-scale-buckhead-townhouse/

Only one half scale dollhouse? God forbid. :o

31 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

You might also check out Emily's (fov) blog:  http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/  She also works in half scale, and has done of houses.  If you scroll down, you can see "tags" for the various houses she's built.  You might find some inspiration there.

Thanks for the plug! An easier way to see them all is to go here: http://www.emilymorganti.com/dollhouses

Some others I have waiting in the wings are Oakridge's Elizabeth Anne and McGreedy's Emporium (both tab and slot), a Backyard Bliss, and RGT's front opening Victorian, Thornhill, Craftsman Bungalow, and a couple of Colonials. As for kits I'd like to find, I love the RGT First Lady (passed up a chance to get one years ago and regret it now!) If I ever have an opportunity to get a Joseph Angel house or Lacamas Lake House in half scale, or the Bauder Pine Dutch colonial, I'll snap it up.

Most of these are out of production and not necessarily easy to find, but there really are a lot of options in half scale if you keep an eye out. I've bought most of mine on eBay or at miniature "flea markets" where people clear out their stash. (And someday I'll probably be selling all my unbuilt kits the same way...!)

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

The Victorian for which they showed the component kit on on miniatures.com looks great, but where the heck is the house itself?  I can't even find it by searching on the item number! 

I think you mean the Front Opening Victorian (the yellow one with the blue fishscale shingles?) RGT recently discontinued it. I got one off Craigslist last year for $50, needs work but I'll get around to it one of these days. :)

I like the Carlson one on Emily's blog

I couldn't see Shannons's ones

It doesn't have to be Victorian, I could use the trims on something else maybe, but I have so many light, lots of siding, baseboard , crown molding, stairs, extra windows atc, I bought too much , even if I used some on the Fairfield I still have lots left.

You can sometimes find uses for half scale trims on 1:12 houses. For example, half scale shingles look good on the gable ends of the roof (the triangular vertical part) also half scale cornice is useful to add cornice to kitchen upper cabinets to dress them up a bit. Fancy trims can be used to dress up window surrounds or trim out under the roof of verandas/porches. Sometimes the more delicate trims of half scale look more elegant than some of the clunkier 1:12 stuff.

Half scale houses I currently have under construction are the Seaside Villa (by Norm's Dollhouse not sure if it is still available) and the Morningside Mansion with Bespaq windows and doors.   Both are made of 1/4" cabinet grade plywood - smooth and fits together perfectly.  Love them both!

Half scale houses I have in boxes:

RGT Thornhill - may get to it

Oakridge's Elizabeth Anne - will never build, wood too thin, tab & slot

American Craft's Queen Anne - probably won't built, rooms too small

RGT's First Lady - probably won't built, has major issues

I have built the Litchfield from Earth and Tree. It's a lovely little house, but I think lends itself more to quaint cottage than Victorian. Earth and Tree makes a few other 1/2 scale kits that are very nice. I particularly like the Lyndeborough and the Madison.  Keep in mind Earth and Tree kits are just the house, components are separate. I have the 1/2 scale front opening Victorian in my stash from the April Fools Day sale a few years back; I am still holding out hope that it will get done someday:cry: My current build is the RGT Classic Bungalow which I am attempting to do in Craftsman style. That house has lots of potential for sprucing up to be more Victorian.

1 hour ago, chapchap73 said:

...Earth and Tree kits are just the house, components are separate...

The day we were there Keri was installing a door she had made for Tom's Norman Tower; that decided me I could also make my own doors and windows for my houses.

On 10/3/2017, 5:02:18, biomom said:

It depends on what style you like but I have really enjoyed Laser Dollhouse Designs: http://www.laserdollhouses.com/online-store.php#!/1-24-Scale-Dollhouses/c/8577029/offset=0&sort=priceDesc

They aren't cheap but the level of detail and the amount of fun to build is fantastic! I have a 1:24 Lisa that has been one of the most fun projects yet. It is huge though for half scale.

If you want something smaller and/or less expensive than one of these (bungalow or small colonial) might do the trick: http://www.miniatures.com/124-Scale-Dollhouses-C373.aspx

I just fell in love with the Hannah Victorian Mansion 1:24 scale, the hand carved turret is beautiful, and I love the railings.  I also like the access to the turret

7 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Oh good! If I ever get enough of the kits I have finished enough to justify delving into 1/2 scale, that Chantilly of hers will be my first choice! And I'll have to get every single kit she makes, too! LOVE them!

Thanks Jodi! That's so sweet!

• Like 1