Hurricane Nate

Sable

Good Luck, holly! If you think you will lose power remember my suggestion to purchase the long strings of LED lights from Michaels (currently in the Halloween section) and get AA batteries. The D and C batteries for flashlights don't last long and they will be sold out in no time.

Im now a hurricane expert so if you have any questions, please ask.

• Like 2

My first experience with hurricanes was when I was six years old in West Palm Beach in 1948, and I've been through one or two since then.  We have our camping lanterns & candles handy and the generator's ready to plug in.  Stopped by Lowe's today to get replacement thumbscrews to batten down the Bahama shutters, and I start filling water jugs tonight.  We also keep a bag of fresh batteries in a variety of sizes, and I just restocked some freeze-dried breakfasts.  We find that what works for camping also works well for hurricanes.  May it miss S FL as completely as the projections from the weather service indicate.  Matt & all our NOLA friends stay safe.

• Like 1

We are keeping an eye on it, especially now the projected path has shifted more west.  But luckily, and I hope it holds to the guestimate, and will be a weak system, and if it is a hurricane at landfall, it will be a weak #1.  I've been through enough hurricanes and tropical storms to last me a long time, and a TS is usually just rain, rain, and more rain.  I am stocked on lights, candles, and crank charge lamps!  

I am sitting in my new house near Atlanta thinking that if I weren't here, I'd probably be driving someplace (maybe here) to escape the storm. Lloyd instilled in me the 400 mile rule. Any time the eye of a hurricane got within 400 miles, we'd be on the road, no matter what its number. I understand Mayor Landrieu has proactively declared a state of emergency. Y'all stay dry!

10 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I am sitting in my new house near Atlanta thinking that if I weren't here, I'd probably be driving someplace (maybe here) to escape the storm. Lloyd instilled in me the 400 mile rule. Any time the eye of a hurricane got within 400 miles, we'd be on the road, no matter what its number. I understand Mayor Landrieu has proactively declared a state of emergency. Y'all stay dry!

So has Kay Ivey, our governor.  We are pretty far inland and fairly high & dry and have an evac plan & route.

Irma hit us with high tropical storm winds. Our city has spent more than $3 million in tree debris removal. For us it was more of a wind event. Please be prepared for both the wind and the flooding rains.

Holly, Be safe and take care! these storms are so scary! I was at “Party City” Store (not sure if there’s one by you or not)  the other day and they have bags of white “glow sticks” 24 for only 5 bucks! They also have the torches too! I bought some white Igor ones and put them in our “Go Bag” that I bought for everyone in my family. They come in a lot of colors but the bright white ones are perfect for emergencies. Especially when you don’t have candles or are out of matches! 

I know - I also didn't know there was another hurricane on its way until I saw the news this morning. I have a whole bag of tea light candles in case of an emergency. I found out if you put about five or six of them together on a large plate, they give off quite a bit of light. And they're cheap, too.

You guys in the southern states - stay safe!

When we started out on our errands this AM the sky was clear and gorgeously blue, and the sun was shining brightly, and since we've been home the sky is socked in gray.  Our Bahama shutters (steel) are locked down and I have a couple of dozen liters of potable water in bottles in the garage, plus another eight or so liters in the fridge. In the AM tomorrow the tub gets filled and the garbage can comes into the garage, the candles all come out, as well as the lanterns, matches & batteries.  Right this minute landfall is forecast around Biloxi, MS, around 0200 Sunday.

Lawanda, if you find a house north of US 90 you ought to be well out of the flood zone in Ocean Springs.  If your realtor is reputable s/he will tell you if the property is in a high water-prone zone.  Chris, be safe.

Just checking in - we are expecting 11ft storm surge - I'm lucky to be high (maybe not so dry with the rain and all that..... ). Everything is prepped - hurricane cooking done. All I have left to do is fill the bathtub with water and I'm set and ready. Going to be a bit of a whopper though.

Good luck to all of you - stay safe!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Soapz said:

Just checking in - we are expecting 11ft storm surge - I'm lucky to be high (maybe not so dry with the rain and all that..... ). Everything is prepped - hurricane cooking done. All I have left to do is fill the bathtub with water and I'm set and ready. Going to be a bit of a whopper though.

Good luck to all of you - stay safe!

Chris, What town are you in? 

Chris is north of Biloxi so high enough elevation.  We are 16 miles due north of the coast and at 90 feet elevation.  We will fill our bathtub after supper.  The cone of the storm is well to our west, but we will get the messy side of it.