Hurricane Nate

Sable

20 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Chris is north of Biloxi so high enough elevation.  We are 16 miles due north of the coast and at 90 feet elevation.  We will fill our bathtub after supper.  The cone of the storm is well to our west, but we will get the messy side of it.

Holly, you will most certainly get the strong bands. I see it's projected to be a 2 when it hits land. The higher the elevation, the stronger the winds, stay safe.

2 hours ago, Mineejv said:

Sable..... Did you take shelter in the bathroom....  (laughing).    I have once.

Stay save if your in the path !!!

I wouldn't laugh. I once saw a news clip of a house that was flattened by a hurricane except for the bathroom, which was in the middle of the house. All four walls were standing, although the roof was gone. The family who were smart enough to get in there survived. Had they been elsewhere in the house, they would have been goners. Inside rooms with no windows are life savers, no two ways about it.

2 hours ago, Mineejv said:

Sable..... Did you take shelter in the bathroom....  (laughing).    I have once.

The toilet phenomenon usually gets noticed by a family member and we all parade in to watch it. 

During Andrew my husband camped out in the bathroom. Now that we feel safe in our solid house we really don't need to. 

Sorry guys but I'm really into hurricanes. I'm making a prediction and I hope I'm wrong. Hurricane Rita had a dry eye wall on one side. It caused massive inland flooding. The problem with a dry eye wall is that before the dry air influenced it, there was a lot of water in it. All of that water fell into the eye's center in a short amount of time trapping it in the eye causing a bulge of extremely high surge.  Nate might be doing the same thing. I sincerely hope not. 

6 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Check out 108 Reynolds Cir, Ocean Springs, MS 39564
Check out this property I found using Trulia's real estate app:
https://www.trulia.com//rental/4036408914

Download the Trulia Mobile App Now!
http://on.trulia.com/app_e

Really cute house Lawanda - looks roomy, too! Off topic, so I'll keep it short: I am still shocked at what rents are these days!!!

Thinking of everyone in the path and praying for a gentle experience for you! 

We have just had our first band of showers from Nate.  Power companies from northern Alabama counties are headed down to help our crews to restore power.  We have been instructed to call our power company ASAP when our power goes out.  We discovered the freeze-dried camping meals when we started tent camping, and all our gear is in the garage.  We have a pretty new gas can for the generator, so if we lose power we can keep our food cold by plugging the fridge into the generator and running it periodically.  This isn't our first hurricane.  Our neighborhood is fairly heavily wooded, so there's enough vegetation to serve to slow the wind gusts somewhat.  With all the rain that's coming with Nate, I don't think its eye is dry.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I don't think its eye is dry.

Firstly, thanks for checking in.

I'm sorry if I was confusing. The southwest half of the storm is completely dry. Radar shows rain on the northeast wall only. You are definitely on the dirty side of the storm. A normal storm would show moisture around the entire system. 

But just because its dry doesn't mean it doesn't still have winds. If you get a chance, look at this website to see what's happening with the upper level winds. 

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-88.27,30.16,3000/loc=-87.773,29.126

Sorry, if I'm being a hurricane smart pants. 

IMG_5382.PNG

I think it's perfectly OK to be a "hurricane smart pants", as people who don't live with these things only know what they read or hear about, and it's not the same.  We got the rain and wind through the night.  I gave up and fell into bed exhausted early and woke up this AM to realize I never filled the tub or sinks!  I hadn't needed to, we have both power & water, although some time in the night we briefly lost power, because the clock on the microwave needed resetting.  So today we get to open all the Bahama shutters, move the truck back next to the car, take the garbage can back outside and bring the wheelbarrow in from the woods.  I'm very glad it's over, and hope everyone in Nate's path stays safe.

• Like 1

Holly, glad everything is good where you are. We are about to get that big outer band any time now. It's kinda sliding beside us for now, but at some point it will scoot over. The bad things is, though, that Brennen has to head back to school today, heading south right through that band. I would like to just send him off now, that would get him pretty far before it got to him. But my mom didn't come see him last weekend when he was home, and she forgot Friday, so now he has to wait until she gets out of church. Grrrrr, I'm so aggravated.

UPDATE: She went to early service so she's on her way now, so yay.

We lost power for a few minutes over night, but otherwise not so horrible as the other storms to hit the US.  The video of the storm surge at Biloxi and the waterspouts off Gulf Shores were mighty spectacular.  I think I'd let Brennen head back to school tomorrow if there are no exams or other "can't miss" stuff going on in class.

All safe and sound - even cleaned up my yard somewhat. I'm at the north shore of the Biloxi Back Bay, so we only had winds but no storm surge. Power and Internet is on - the troops on the ground here are doing great work. People were well prepared, those that had to, did evacuate - that helped a lot. 

• Like 1

That's great Chris! 

We managed to stay right on the very edge of the band, so we barely got any rain, and just a few good wind gusts. Yay.

Brennen headed back and arrived safely. He was heading pretty much straight south, so was very lucky and was right in the middle of the bad parts. He is a rule follower, so he would have stressed about missing class.

I sure don't much care for having to worry about hurricanes, all of a sudden, being this far inland!!