Fairy House Tree Stump

Sable

I've previously mentioned how I want to take my tree stump, which is a direct result of hurricane Irma, and make a fairy house out of it. Against the better judgement of my arborist, he cut it so water will shed off of the top rather than pool and rot the stump  out. This is a perfect cut because now I can make nicely slopped slate tile roof for it.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out the placement of the door, windows and exterior stairs.

The problem with this species of tree is that feeder branches might end up growing through the windows and doors. "It's not an oak", my arborist kept reminding me.  I'm hoping my Dremel is all I will need for the cuts, if not, I have my Versacut and chisels. Wish me luck on this one, please.

IMG_5360.JPG

• Like 4

Looking at the photo of the stump I see four sections; the second section from the left has two dark nodule-looking thingies and for a fairy house Id be sorely tempted to put the front door directly under the higher of the two nodules, perhaps with steps leading up to it; and windows randomly on the other three sections, perhaps with  wee fairy child looking out of one of them.

12 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Looking at the photo of the stump I see four sections; the second section from the left has two dark nodule-looking thingies and for a fairy house Id be sorely tempted to put the front door directly under the higher of the two nodules, perhaps with steps leading up to it; and windows randomly on the other three sections, perhaps with  wee fairy child looking out of one of them.

Holly, I'd agree but that's pretty high up for the front door. The ferns in front of the stump are hiding the true height. The roots offer a number of door options, I think. 

I was thinking that fairies have wings so the door could be anywhere.   Wherever you put the door & windows with its slate roof it will look awesome and probably drive every kid in your neighborhood wild.

• Like 1

What a wonderful project and albeit with a bit of sadness for the tree, it will be a super memory re Irma.

It almost  looks like it has 2 pillars on it.. would bay type windows fit there

Pleeease take photo's as you do it I think it is fascinating and I am sure many as well as I would love to share it . Good Luck

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Oooh, this has all kinds of possibilities! Take THAT, Irma!

Kathie, right?  There is no way I could let them take this stump away from me without giving it a try. It's screaming at me.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sable said:

Now I can see the roots. I'm thinking stairs up the middle root leading to a door midway up. The two side roots flanking the tree might become towers with balconies.

IMG_5375.JPG

That's also what I was thinking.

On 10/6/2017, 10:36:52, havanaholly said:

I was thinking that fairies have wings so the door could be anywhere.

But some of their friends may not have wings, eh? <G>  

I'm playing with the roof layout. I have tons of different stains to use up for this project. Originally, I was was going to make a slate roof. It's still too hot here to split and cut all of that tile so I found these cedar shingles at HD. The gray stain is really blue and the red is purple. Big bright LED overhead is interfering with my camera colors.

Scale is another issue, I might cut the larger boards in half.

FullSizeRender.jpg

4 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I like the look of the random colors thrown in!

Me, too. It calls to mind the maple tree in the front yard. Just a few leaves in random places have turned a deep red, signaling a change of season that Mother Nature is trying to hide with a long run of above normal temperatures.