Hello from California

staceyRN

Hello there!
This looks to be a great forum and I'm looking forward to becoming a part of it! I'm new at dollhouse building (as in never have before). I tinkered at one time with scratch building a balsa wood haunted shack, but never finished it.  I do love miniatures and have always been fascinated by them. I have just started buying miniature furniture on Ebay and revamping them into Halloween themes. I don't think I'm am allowed to post a link but you can search completed auctions under "halloween, black cats, sofa, swarovski crystal" just to get an idea of what I do. Love Halloween too!

Anyhow, what I am getting at is, I suddenly realized I didn't have to just buy and sell miniatures...why can't I have a dollhouse of my own? I guess I have always wanted one but didn't admit it to myself! And then there is the space issue...but then...why not go small(er)? So I am now looking at quarter scale and 1:144. I really like 1:144, but I don't see any kits available now that I am drawn to. The ones I do like are no longer available. That leaves me with quarter scale. I am looking at the Jasmine Gothic Victorian - wondering if that may be too ambitious for a beginner? Or perhaps the Little Anne Victorian...but that may not be ambitious enough. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Stacey

Welcome to the little family, Stacey.  I play with my dollhouses, so even if I could see 1:144 scale I can't imagine being able to do much with inhabitants, furnishings & accessories.  I do like to build 1:24 and Greenleaf makes 1:48 kits that include some of their 1:12 houses scaled down.

There is a pinned topic for Ebay listings.

Hi Stacey! Welcome :wave:

Is your ebay handle toilsandtroubles? If it is, that is the cutest halloween sofa I've seen in a while. :D Love the cat eyes on the back.. hilarious! 

Anyway, I'm with Holly.. because I like to decorate I couldn't see myself going below 1:24 maybe 1:48 at a stretch but if you are more interested in the architecture then there are some great little kits around. 

Hi Samantha,

Yes, I am toilsandtroubles. The sofa was great fun to work on ....sad to see it go. I became a bit attached to it.

Anyhow, I agree, I think 1:144 is going to be too small. I am more interested in the architecture, build and finishing touches as opposed to furnishing. I just need to take the plunge and purchase a kit and get started!