Hello fellow dollhouse-making enthusiasts!

Hello Everyone,  My name is Wendy and I have recently started building my first dollhouse, the Beacon Hill.  I am making it to look "haunted".  The most surprising thing I have found out about this hobby is that it takes so much time!  Although I'm lucky enough to have time to work on it, LOL!  Since late July, I've been spending about 5-6 hours a day, punching out, sanding, painting, gluing and researching what the heck I'm doing and how to do it!  LOL!  I have found the instructions for the kit to be very confusing and lacking in pictures.  I have also found "typos" that actually make it even more confusing.  For example, the chimney instructions regarding the "flue" and adding trim to the outside of the chimney, the first step referencing the pieces on the schematic drawing refers to six middle flue pieces and 2 flue sides but then the first direction on what to glue together refers to six flue sides.  Anyway, it's things like this that make assembly more challenging.  I've been greatful though to find other builders willing to share their experiences and who took the time to either make videos or take pictures with explanations.  One good source I have used is "jennsminis.wordpress.com".  She actually cut the Beacon Hill into two houses and is doing the chimney side house now.  Laurie Heisler is also I very good resource for dollhouse tutorials.  Her website is "dollhouseminiaturemadnessandtutorials.com"  She and her Dad have done numerous videos showing the Beacon Hill and various other tutorials on miniatures.  I look forward to sharing my progress on this house with you all and hopefully gain further knowledge from you all!  Here is a pic of what I've done with the interior so far.59da4498118c7_beaconhillinterior.thumb.j

• Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Wendy.  When you have made five posts you can start an album of your build in the gallery here.  I would like to see a bit more of your downstairs floors so far.

• Like 1

Hi Wendy glad you found us. The Beacon Hill definitely lends herself to being eerie and yet will always manage to be elegant at the same time. Great choice for your project, hope you share lots of photos with us along the way. 

Another resource you could use is Gina of More Minis, you can like her page on Facebook and see her step by step process there. 

It would be nice if dollhouse instructions received an overhaul with more photos and better description. 

• Like 1