Santa Rosa Fire

WyckedWood

What's crazy is there are whole neighbourhoods of tract housing gone.. It's not like these houses were in the forest. Who would think that this could happen when you bought a house there. It's incredibly scary and incredibly sad. 

Please keep us updated on Monica. 

It's a very foresty area but you're right and buildings in the city burned to the ground...too weird. From what I'm hearing it happened so fast and resources were stretched between several areas at once, so rather than fighting the fire, conducting evacuations was the focus. I just feel that this had to be arson with so many fires starting in different areas at once. The reporters are asking how this could happen but officials are being very cautious with what they're saying. Monica said she was in shock. I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to process. 

We saw a fire along the freeway (much more south than Santa Rosa) in San Jose. There is a lot of dry grass everywhere. The locals said they don't have much rain in the summer(not until Nov. and December). I guess that dry summer and mild winter is what helps grow all those vineyards. They had fire warnings on the news due to the high winds they were experiencing, and sure enough, it happened. Just so sad that it has been fueled by those winds.

They're saying 10 deceased so far, I'm sure that number will increase significantly. I've joined a group on fb for people to share info, it's full of posts about pets being found running loose with burned paws and skin. So heartbreaking. 

I hope someone finds Monica's other cat.  When the live oak tree half fell on DS's house his younger ct ran and hid behind a bookcase and it took him some time to move the bookcase to get her out and into a safer place.

Dogs are being found running loose but there are dozens and dozens of posts about missing cats, people had to leave them behind because they hid themselves. 

And now the looters are out. Ugh. 

I don't even want to talk about the pictures of animals I've seen online.. As a "mother" of two fur-babies, I would find this aspect the most distressing of all. I can't imagine the trauma of  fire coming at you so fast you have to make that choice. Poor Monica.  I do dearly hope and wish that she finds her cat safe and well. Hopefully the rescue groups get out and bring in all those lost animals.

P.S. Looters are just the worst kind of filthy being... yuck.

Sickening is the perfect word, Karin. I just watched some of the videos from the link Kelly shared and I am literally sick to my stomach. Devastating just about covers it, too. I'm so sad for everyone there, and so worried about our forum members.

This is awful! I hope Monica’s house is spared. Fires are just so fast and can get to the raging point so quickly especially with dry weather. I saw a guy flick a cigarette into dry grass at a muci festival and it immediately started smoking. He was totally oblivious. It just takes one careless person. The huge fires last year were started by two kids setting off fireworks >:(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I just feel that this had to be arson with so many fires starting in different areas at once. The reporters are asking how this could happen but officials are being very cautious with what they're saying.

Probably because fighting has priority over investigation at this point. One report I read is that some of the fires were caused by electrical wires sparking, igniting trees and other now very dry vegetation that had not been trimmed far enough away from the lines. With the high winds involved, this seems plausible and could account for the wide geographical range. Might arson be part of it? They'll figure it out. Knowing how it started, however, does not lessen the devastation. 

It probably was not arson.  Much more likely electrical wires or careless campers.  Carrie is right.  We don't get rain (generally) between April/May and November.  We have had a couple of days of rain already this fall, which is unusual, but it's not enough.  During the summer, at least near the Bay, the marine layer (fog) helps protect us some.  It makes for cold, dreary days, but it does provide needed dampness.  In the fall, the fog stops coming in, our rains haven't started, and we get Santa Ana-type winds (called Diablo winds in northern California), so there is always high fire danger. I was home yesterday (planned vacation due to work being done on one of our closets) but am at work in downtown San Francisco today.  We can smell the smoke inside our high-rise building. It's hard to watch the news.  The devastation is incredible, and the fire moves so fast!

I have the worst news. Monica unfortunately lost her home, her dollhouses and unless there was a miracle, her cat. Maybe when she settles someplace new we could organize and help her restock some dollhouses and supplies. Lord knows I have more kits and supplies than one person could ever use. 

As far as immediate needs she is saying she doesn't need help at this time, they were able to escape in a motorhome which she wisely had stocked with emergency items. I suggested she set up a Target gift registry for needs she may have in the near future (they don't have internet restored yet). If she does that I'll let you all know. 

I lived in northern and Southern California for decades, familiar with the winds. Will be anxious to see what the investigations show. 

• Like 3

Wow Karin. How devestating. I know if my house burnt down, I would be most relieved if I got out with my husband, pets and photos, but if I lost my dollhouses, I would be pretty devestated too. All that work.... Maybe those who know her could put a list together of things she lost and we could all help out? I would like to. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

It probably was not arson.  Much more likely electrical wires or careless campers.  Carrie is right.  We don't get rain (generally) between April/May and November.  We have had a couple of days of rain already this fall, which is unusual, but it's not enough.  During the summer, at least near the Bay, the marine layer (fog) helps protect us some.  It makes for cold, dreary days, but it does provide needed dampness.  In the fall, the fog stops coming in, our rains haven't started, and we get Santa Ana-type winds (called Diablo winds in northern California), so there is always high fire danger. I was home yesterday (planned vacation due to work being done on one of our closets) but am at work in downtown San Francisco today.  We can smell the smoke inside our high-rise building. It's hard to watch the news.  The devastation is incredible, and the fire moves so fast!

My husband and I visited San Francisco/Bay area in 2014 and you were in drought then. Is this still the same drought, as in it still hasn't really rained?

Oh no!! Please send on my condolences and virtual hugs to her. What a great idea to help her out down the road, of course I would like to participate. Please let me know if & when. Also, if she sets up a Target registry or similar please let us know. 

9 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I have the worst news. Monica unfortunately lost her home, her dollhouses and unless there was a miracle, her cat. Maybe when she settles someplace new we could organize and help her restock some dollhouses and supplies. Lord knows I have more kits and supplies than one person could ever use. I'm going to go through her albums to see what items were particularly special to her and see if it they could be recreated or replaced. 

I am so, so sorry to hear that.  I think helping her replace her items is a wonderful idea.

14 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

My husband and I visited San Francisco/Bay area in 2014 and you were in drought then. Is this still the same drought, as in it still hasn't really rained?

No.  We are technically not in a drought any more.  It rained (and snowed) a lot last winter.  Snow pack is very important to our water levels.  It's just our typical weather pattern that it only rains in late fall/winter.

My heart goes out to Monica. The fact that she'd stocked the camper with emergency supplies speaks to her resilience. It will be a pleasure to help her restock both full-sized and miniature items. Perhaps gift certificates from Hobby Builders Supply or other on-line mini shops would be useful when she has settled into a new place and can think about miniatures again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

No.  We are technically not in a drought any more.  It rained (and snowed) a lot last winter.  Snow pack is very important to our water levels.  It's just our typical weather pattern that it only snows in late fall/winter.

Ahhh Ok, that is a relief as it was very dry then too. It would be terrible by now if there hadn't been any rain.

I told her that I admired her strength, she said "I'm not strong, I haven't stopped crying." She said that next to her cat, the loss of her dollhouses was the hardest.  Her real house was wonderful, unique, eclectic, bohemian style. She has great taste which shows in the care that she put into her miniature projects. 

36 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I told her that I admired her strength, she said "I'm not strong, I haven't stopped crying." She said that next to her cat, the loss of her dollhouses was the hardest.  Her real house was wonderful, unique, eclectic, bohemian style. She has great taste which shows in the care that she put into her miniature projects. 

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I am so sad for Monica. Let us know if you do set anything up for her. Household or mini-household items. I hope she will let us know (when she is ready) what we can contribute.