Santa Rosa Fire

WyckedWood

Thank you to everyone again for your kind words of support for Monica, I'm sure it will be some time before she's ready to think about hobbies again, but it's heartwarming to know that everyone is so thoughtful to offer to help. 

Please send my thoughts and prayers along to Monica. I'm not on FB or I'd do it myself. Thanks.

I, too, have an over-abundance of mini supplies, kits, and such. I'd love to help her restart when she's ready. Please keep me on the list.

Her collection was breathtakingly beautiful and always intriguing.

Karin, please extend my condolences to Monica.  I am just now reading this thread, and the devastation is just horrible. I'm glad she got out safely, but what heartache to lose so much. 

My cousin is in the area also, and so far has not had to evacuate. It is coming very close, and they are packed and ready, but not out the door yet.  :( 

I keep meaning to say that although I don't know Monica well, I am also keeping her in my thoughts.

I know there's not much humor when it comes to wildfires, but I thought I'd try.

As you guys know, I've been planning on looking for land sometime next year. I've also been trying to get back into California. So I was looking for land there in two places. I had noticed there were a lot of small lots for sale for reasonable prices around Clear Lake. So naturally, I just learned of a wildfire that's burned acreage and houses up there. My second choice was somewhere in the Santa Cruz Mts. I just mentioned this on another forum last night and also the fact that no, I wasn't exactly sane, but how insane can I be? Well, I'll tell you. I found out this morning there is now a wildfire burning in the Santa Cruz Mts and worse, it's burning up on Bear Creek Rd. This is an area I know well, as I had friends with horses on Bear Creek and often drove up this road many times to get home in the 90s, and I've ridden all over those hills and over the 800 acres of Novitiate land there.

Normally there wouldn't be any concern on my part because the CDF helipad is right across the highway and next to Lexington Reservoir, which should be full now. I just think the helicopter is up fighting the Santa Rosa fires right now, though.

At any rate, the rest of you can relax. I'm not thinking of living anyplace else right now, so you should all be safe.

But I'm almost afraid to look for land around here now.

EDIT TO ADD: The fire is burning on Bear Creek Canyon Rd, which is up above where Bear Creek meets Skyline. It looks to be about halfway between Boulder Creek and Los Gatos, so definitely not as close as I thought it was.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They are living in their RV parked at a friends house for now. The insurance issues have been a nightmare, on top of all of the heartache. 

Monica had mentioned the other day that she went and bought some fimo to make mini pumpkins since there isn't a lot for her to do at the moment. I think it's a situation right now where they're in limbo, waiting for this and that to happen before they can get resettled. 

• Like 4

It must be frustrating to be trapped in what I call the "as soon as" syndrome. As soon as this happens, then that can happen ... and as soon as that happens, something else can happen. And so on. I'm glad they have a place of their own and are with friends. Even a small support system can be an immense blessing after a disaster.

• Like 1

Ok thanks everyone, I'll do that. Yes, it's very difficult to live in limbo. I've learned a lot from witnessing what she's going through. Like make sure you have enough replacement coverage. 

• Like 2

So glad to hear Monica is doing OK under the circumstances and it bought a smile to my face to hear she bought some fimo. :) 

I always go overboard on my house & contents insurance... I hope I never have to use it. 

I hope she can get to somewhere more permanent soon. I can't imagine being in this limbo and having to start from scratch. I really feel for her and think of her often. Again, let us know if and when we can help. :) 

5 hours ago, Samusa said:

So glad to hear Monica is doing OK under the circumstances and it bought a smile to my face to hear she bought some fimo. :) 

I always go overboard on my house & contents insurance... I hope I never have to use it. 

I hope she can get to somewhere more permanent soon. I can't imagine being in this limbo and having to start from scratch. I really feel for her and think of her often. Again, let us know if and when we can help. :) 

The problem with contents insurance where collections are concerned, is that you need documentation of everything. I can’t imagine trying to document the millions of miniature bits and pieces I have. Clearly I am not one who has documented everything as I purchased them.

I do have my Blythe and ball jointed dolls documented and insured but every year the cover goes down and my dolls aren’t going down in value that’s for sure.

• Like 2

Hi everyone, and thank you so much for keeping everyone updated and for EVERYTHING, Karin!! I'm alive, and coming out of the fog of the tragedy. We still have not found our baby Ayla, and we fear we may have lost her. It's still a very sensitive matter for me. We will remain in Cali until the 1st week of Dec. and then we are going to head to Tennessee where we will be living. Thank you all so much for your sweet words and concern. It means a lot to me <3 I'm still picking up the pieces but, am doing a bit better. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Good to hear from you Monica, I have no words for such a horrific happening.  It' goid you made it out , but tragic at the same time.  Where in TN are you headed.  Safe travels.

Thank you so much <3 yes, my 2 kitty boys, hubby and i made it out in time :) We are going to be in Knoxville. I'm excited! Are you near by? That would be cool to have mini neighbors!