Newly Minted Miniature Enthusiast!

third_hand

Salutations from Eugene, OR!

I'm Eli, a 27 year old PhD student in Philosophy at the University of Oregon. I'm Cuban-American and originally from South Florida; I relocated to Oregon last year after a month-long road trip (equipped with camping gear) from my swampy birthplace. Other hobbies include: light crytography, wordie boardgames, and wildflower identification!

I am currently working on my first dollhouse (the Greenleaf Orchid House) and popped in, as recommended to say hello! 

• Like 3

Hi Eli! Welcome :wave:

Cool hobbies. My DH is from Central Florida so I'm with you on the swampy. :D

Glad to have you here. When you have 5 posts you'll be able to start a gallery. We love progress pictures.

Welcome to the little family, Eli.  I grew up in West Palm Beach, my DH is from Gulf Breeze and a few years ago we moved to SW AL, just outside of Pensacola.  The Orchid is a great starter house.  I have built it twice so far.

• Like 1

Welcome Eli!

I am close to completing my first build, the Orchid as well. Everyone here has been so helpful with tips and suggestions! Oregon must be a big change for you, I am in Ft Myers and it is still hot summer weather! Enjoy your build!

Missy  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017, 12:22:46, third_hand said:

Other hobbies include: light crytography,

Hi, Eli, and welcome to the forum. Is this a typo for cryptography? Google doesn't have a definition for crytography. Curious minds want to know. :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, third_hand said:

Hi Kathie!

Yes, silly me. This is indeed a typo! Are you also interested in cryptography? :)

Even as a kid I loved making up codes to use in notes passed surreptitiously in the classroom, and I enjoy trying to solve mystery stories that include encrypted messages, but I've never made much of a study of it per se.  

9 hours ago, KathieB said:

Even as a kid I loved making up codes to use in notes passed surreptitiously in the classroom, and I enjoy trying to solve mystery stories that include encrypted messages, but I've never made much of a study of it per se.  

Yes, same here! I mostly make basic substitution cipher-type puzzles (like the ones you might find in a Sunday newspaper) for friends and loved ones as gifts. I also enjoy reading about crytograms. Glad to know there's another code-lover here! I've even considered making a few code-related minis for my (future) library. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, third_hand said:

Yes, same here! I mostly make basic substitution cipher-type puzzles (like the ones you might find in a Sunday newspaper) for friends and loved ones as gifts. I also enjoy reading about crytograms. Glad to know there's another code-lover here! I've even considered making a few code-related minis for my (future) library. 

Oh, wouldn't it be fun to have a mini Enigma machine sitting quietly on a table in a corner of the library. :D 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KathieB said:

Oh, wouldn't it be fun to have a mini Enigma machine sitting quietly on a table in a corner of the library. :D 

Or perhaps a Jefferson disk! In addition, if one were so inclined, you could "code" the interior of the house itself (for example, through paintings, books, or other library props)! There are lots of possibilities. I may have to try a few things out and see if I can't meld my hobbies both old and new. :) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Eli and Everyone, I am not sure this is where to post my intro, but here goes: I, too, am a complete newbie. I have the Orchid kit. I've read the instructions and am ready to cut out the window framing to prepare. Does anyone know how to get the overspray off the clear part of the windows, or am I going to have to make them over? I have just retired in January, and am celebrating with new hobbies. Love this one so far! It is a treat to find this forum!

Lorraine, it's quite OK to post your own, separate introduction.

16 minutes ago, Lorrie said:

...Does anyone know how to get the overspray off the clear part of the windows, or am I going to have to make them over?...

Overspray?  What overspray?  The clear acetate sheets with the door and window inserts have mullions printed in white, but I've built the Orchid a couple of times and not had any overspray on any of the transparencies.  I do save up clear flat packaging to use to make new inserts when the ones in the kit are missing or damaged or I want to make new, different windows and doors.