Orientation of flooring?

IndyCindy

There is no correct" way.. it really depends on the shape of your room and where the tricky bits are going to be. Personally I like to run mine side to side so I have a nice finish at the open edge.

I consider running parallel to the longest wall. I also look at photos of similar houses to help me. Some houses run the flooring differently in each room/hall.

Also consider how the light comes in from the windows - with the light falling on the long planks? 

http://carlaaston.com/designed/which-direction-should-you-run-your-wood-flooring-well

I also recall Pat Thomas saying that they used to always run their wood flooring from front to back to make their rooms appear deeper. You wouldn't typically think something so simple could make such a difference, but it really does! There however is no "correct" or incorrect way to put your flooring in, so long as you're happy with how it looks -- so shall others be!  :)

6 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I consider running parallel to the longest wall. I also look at photos of similar houses to help me. Some houses run the flooring differently in each room/hall.

Somewhere/somehow I'd gotten the notion that the planks should run perpendicular to the room's main entrance-- or perhaps this is particular to a certain style? (I don't always do that, just got the idea somewhere... :p)

In real houses the flooring would run perpendicular to the door. It provides a clean sight line from the door. I've done it both ways depending upon the edge of the opening. Like Samusa, I like a clean edge at the open end and most of my front doors are on the side of the house.

its whatever you think looks better.