I did it!

staceyRN

Well, I've taken the dive and bought my first dollhouse! I'm going with the quarter scale Jasmine Gothic Revival. It should be here in a few days. I've been doing research on what that period looked like. Not that I want to be super realistic, but it would be nice to stay with the period as much as possible. From what I understand, gothic revival colors were a little drab. I'm not too excited about that, so we'll see what happens. I'm not sure if I can post pictures yet. Going to try. I'm looking for advice because I'm thinking of moving the outside stairs and entrance to the porch to the front of the house so that I will have a bit more yard space. That would give me enough room on the right of the porch perhaps to add a swing facing left (not sure about measurements yet). Also, that would give me enough room in the yard for a small flower garden and potting station and perhaps a tree with tree house... . 

Any suggestions on the awkward corner jutting out on the left hand side of the house? I'm thinking of either cutting it off or "planting" a bush there. 

Super excited here!

Stacey

Sale Front.jpg

Sale Side.jpg

• Like 3

Since you asked for advice, here is my two cents....Moving the stairs is an excellent idea, just keep in mine the the gingerbread railings are different on each side of the house. I'm just suggesting that it might be difficult to fill in the current opening with the cutout from the planned front opening since the design is larger in the front.  Just something to measure really well before making a final decision.

It is an adorable house.

I would leave the stairs alone, there is plenty of yard for landscaping in that scale.  I love the idea of an urn of flowers or a topiary on that little corner, or perhaps a garden statue or a birdbath, since there's a window there.  As for the "drab" colors, they don't have to be; you might go with pastels or other muted shades of prettier colors; it's YOUR house, after all.

I love it! I've had the quarter scale Ashley Gothic bookmarked for forever on eBay. I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress pics once you get your Jasmine. The best of luck to you. You're going to have a blast.

• Like 1

I love researching, so this is a bonus! The more I look at the house and look things up on the web, I'm thinking this is more Victorian than Gothic Revival. I don't see many of the Gothic Rival with the towers. I'm not sure where I saw this house listed as such.

Great little house, If you want to stay period style, I'd probably leave the stairs where they are. Victorians liked big grand houses filled with ornate trims and color.  An "in town" house like this one would have had a small yard. My aunt lives on a street full of 120 year old Victorian homes (hers included) and all the yards are quite small.

I looooooove quarter scale. I'm a total convert now (mostly because I have all the 1:12s  I wanted).

I will just say that with this scale, it is wise to think ahead more than ever. I am so glad I put in flooring and wallpaper and doors and trims before the 2nd floor goes on because you cannot reach into these to do major decorating like the larger houses. But - building goes quickly, and that is sooooo much fun! you get results very quickly.

• Like 1

I, too, am getting hooked on the quarter scale!  It gives more room for detail than the micro (1:144) scale, but doesn't take up so much display space when finished. My little B&B was the first one I've done in that scale - but there will be more for sure!  :construction: