Opinions on the Door!

madtex1967

I am back asking for opinions!  I put the Cape May's front door together this evening, and am torn on the color difference of the door knocker and the door knob and plate.  Does it matter?  Should I paint the door knocker?

Ideas?

URL]a>20171012_223027_zps4hfdb0zo.jpg.html

large.20171012_223027.jpg.9160f86568b698large.20171012_222952.jpg.cd74129616065d

• Like 1

What a beautiful door!!! Well, I'll be honest - the door is beautifully weathered, the knocker looks dark with age - but the doorknob is pristine. So I think you should age the door knob! Or admit that the inhabitant has an obsession with clean doorknobs. Which is possible.

But - it doesn't really matter. It is beautiful as is. 

I'm in agreement, I love the weathering on the door and the doorknocker goes with that. The door knob on the other hand looks fresh out of the package, maybe age it to get it more in keeping with the rest of the door.

Beautiful work so far!

Me too, iguana. (Anyone remember that children's book?!) I think you should age the doorknob.

If you take it off to age it, consider "blacking out" the area behind the keyhole with a dab of black paint or Sharpie, so you don't see wood there. I learned that trick from the Guys from Texas.

The door looks incredible! I love the look of the wood. It's very realistic for an old Victorian.

I concur.. the age the knob. :) 

But then, I do like the colour of the knob in conjunction with the yellow trim.. but do agree it looks too new for the door. Maybe they just got new door hardware. If you do choose to go with the knob colour, age it a little at least to match the door. 

Edit: Is that the porch light in the first photo? As it's also dark I would definitely go with changing the knob colour to match the other two elements. 

Thank you all!  After stepping back since late last night when I last looked at it, you all are correct.  I will "age" the knob.  Also, I will do as Emily suggested and put a black dot behind the key hole opening.  I had actually thought about doing that when I put the knob plate on, but went ahead and put in place for the picture.

I have been painting so much on the trims for this house, I will be glad when the painting is complete and I can start putting all the trims and gingerbread on the house!