Back again

Felthen

So after signing up and not posting I am back, and this time I will try to post and not just lurk.

I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills of California, and I love dollhouses and dollhouse kits which I seem to be better at starting than finishing.I just got a really nice used one off Craigslist that is different than anything I have seen. So this dollhouse has pretty much forced me to come out of hiding, stop just reading and researching, and actually ask for help.

If I can find out how to post a picture I will do it

Edited by Felthen
Can't figure out how to add photo

Welcome! If you're using a computer, then underneath the box where you type your post there should be text that says "Drag files here to attach, or choose files". You can drag the picture from your computer into that area, or click "choose files" and then select the picture you want to attach.

If you're on a phone or tablet it might look different. Look for a paperclip icon or text that refers to attachments.

Thanks Emily. I see a little paper clip and when I touch it it tells me I can attach file, but then when I try it tells me I cannot access that page.Hunh?? 

I did it !!! See below. Thank you! Thank you Emily!

My new dollhouse. It is a Victorian sort of style, side opening, Kind of a finished shell. It is  made of plywood and is very sturdy and well built. I think it is in wonderful shape especially for what they sold it to me for. the siding is on but the roof needs shingles and there is some very minor trim repair. The porch is ready to finish.  The interior is a great layout with large rooms ready to finish any way I want. It is heavy as anything and the only reason I could get it ( had to load it in the backseat of a Honda Civic ) was that it cleverly comes apart in 3 stacking sections floor1, floor2, attic. There is a turntable attached under floor1, so you can sit and look at the front, then the back etc.  I love that turntable.

IMG_0555.JPG

Edited by Felthen

Wow, that's a nice looking dollhouse! I don't know what it is. Is it 1:12 scale? (If you're not sure, what's the ceiling height of the rooms?) Maybe someone else will be able to identify it. I'd love to see pictures from other angles.

Thank you. It is 1:12. One of the reasons that I decided to come out of lurkdom was that I hoped that someone might have some ideas about it. I love fully enclosed dollhouses that look like real houses. Think Lawbre Shadow Cliff. This one has openings so a child or adult that loves to decorate and see her pretty things can easily reach in the sides. The back is solid and looks like the back of a house. I was thinking I might be able to add hinged panels and doors, but maybe not, it is well thought out as is.

Since I am new I think I only get to post a picture at a time.

Edited by Felthen

That is a lovely house and I'm inclined to think it's a custom house like Sable says, even though it has commercial components. I'd love to see a photo of the inside, though. I'd be interested to see what wallpaper it has on the walls.

One thing I can tell you, I think it was made quite a while ago. It's hard to tell, but does that front porch post look extremely thin where the decoration is, almost like it would snap apart if you put any pressure on it? Because it's looking a lot like some porch posts I got in the mid 80s from the Dollhouse Factory in New Jersey before they sold it to the present owners. I think those porch posts are made by American Crafts and that company went out of business quite a while ago.

If you decide to replace the porch posts and are just going to toss that one, I'd be very happy to buy it from you and pay for the shipping, if that doesn't sound too forward.

Meantime, I finally got the rest of my miniature catalogs back this afternoon and I now have five HUGE bags of books and magazines waiting to get put back on my shelves. I'm hoping to do that sometime tonight and then maybe in a couple of days I can look through them and check out the houses. Although I have to say, I think I would have remembered that house and I don't remember ever seeing it in my catalogs.

I will start a gallery as soon as I am allowed and I will post more pictures.

Aww Kelly, I was hoping you'd find me here, and help, and darn I think you've nailed it. It  must be older.

Sable It is side opening.

The wallpaper has been removed. It was only $75 and I just called and drove over and bought it without looking too hard. When I put it up at home I was pleasantly surprised. Whoever built it did a good job it is tough as nails and made of half inch plywood. If it hadn't been built to disassemble I never would have gotten it home. When I can post more pictures I will be begging for ideas as I want to do things like make the porch but kind of don't want to lose the ability to take it apart.

Kelly, the woman that I bought it from said that she had it made as a gift for her daughter ( I kind of hoped maybe from a kit since it might help me envision the sides) . She also said her grandchildren had played with it some also. One of the things I was hoping was to find more porch posts since that one is really nice. If I can't find more to match it then yes you may have this one. 

Welcome to the little family, Meris.  You have made enough posts to start an album here.  Before you give up completely on those posts, see if you have a local wood-turners group and if any of them turn pens; one of them might be interested in duplicating your porch posts for you.

34 minutes ago, Felthen said:

When I can post more pictures I will be begging for ideas as I want to do things like make the porch but kind of don't want to lose the ability to take it apart.

I think you could achieve that by attaching the porch posts to the bottom piece, and make decorative "sleeves" in the top piece that the top of the porch posts slip into. Like a little box, made out of trim, that anchors the top of the porch post but isn't glued to the post. Or if that's too delicate, put a piece of grooved trim all the way around the top (or the bottom, for that matter) that can anchor the porch post when the pieces are put together.

Another thought is to connect the posts to the porch and then counter sink a magnet into the top of the posts and into the roof -- a small but strong one in the porch post and then a larger one in porch roof, so they don't have to be precisely lined up for the connection to work.

However you do it, the porch post should be attached to whatever side it's attached to with something stronger than glue. Maybe drill a hole in the surface and a hole in the porch post and insert a peg, for added stability. (For that matter you could have pegs on both sides, and use those to hold the posts in place when you put the house pieces together.)

Very interested to see what you come up with!

2 hours ago, Felthen said:

I will start a gallery as soon as I am allowed and I will post more pictures.

Aww Kelly, I was hoping you'd find me here, and help, and darn I think you've nailed it. It  must be older.

Sable It is side opening.

The wallpaper has been removed. It was only $75 and I just called and drove over and bought it without looking too hard. When I put it up at home I was pleasantly surprised. Whoever built it did a good job it is tough as nails and made of half inch plywood. If it hadn't been built to disassemble I never would have gotten it home. When I can post more pictures I will be begging for ideas as I want to do things like make the porch but kind of don't want to lose the ability to take it apart.

Kelly, the woman that I bought it from said that she had it made as a gift for her daughter ( I kind of hoped maybe from a kit since it might help me envision the sides) . She also said her grandchildren had played with it some also. One of the things I was hoping was to find more porch posts since that one is really nice. If I can't find more to match it then yes you may have this one. 

At 1/2" thick, I definitely think it is custom made. Good luck in finding porch posts to match it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, that will be very difficult. I got 4 back in the mid 80s, one broke and I've been looking for another one for decades. Last year I got lucky on a lot sale on eBay and along with some nice bay windows, I got two more porch posts like the ones I'd been looking for. That's two in all the years I've been haunting eBay since 1996. LOL They are nice, aren't they? Much more refined than the Houseworks or RGT ones. If I ever get enough of them, I'm hoping to put them on the Hofco house, but I have a feeling they're going to end up as dividers in the living room.

I'll see if I can get a close up pic of one of those porch posts tomorrow and post it here.

I tried to make a gallery but all the pictures went in to my attachments area of my member area. I think I downloaded them though. Oh and none of my descriptions, clever things like "side" or "front" happened either. Can anyone help me?