Where can I buy silk material for curtains???

Inge

I'm having a hard time finding silk material so I can make lots and lots and lots and lots of curtains for my really BIG Garfield (the living room alone has 10 windows). I've tried the usual websites but they don't have many of the color choices I am looking for: pale gold, burgundy, pale peach and pale pink.  Also, anyone know which "type" of silk is used for curtains and what is used...hair spray, fabric stiffener on silk? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just getting into the side hobby of 1/12 dollmaking, costuming. I'm collecting silks for that and also for doing formal, fancy curtains on several large houses. I'm trying to get small amounts of each type of silk so I know the difference between them. I wish someone would sell a sample board. Just my opinion so far, but I think silk taffeta is what you want. 

I've also bought from prism silks on eBay, she sells remnants which are convenient sizes for me, since I'm still just testing out what I want. I've also bought from China based sellers through eBay and get some really great prices that way. There are sellers from India with good prices too. Just takes a few weeks to get your order. 

I looked all over my town and surrounding towns and could find no silk in the fabric shops. Thrift stores would be fine but when you want a certain color scheme and type of silk, that would be really hit and miss. 

• Like 1

If you're going to be doing a lot of curtains and don't already have one, I would seriously consider investing in the pretty pleater. It's recommended in the book I mentioned as well. I purchased all three sizes and the neatness of my work has improved greatly because of them. My husband raised his eyebrows quite a bit when I told him how much they cost but it was still worth every penny to me :)  This listing is for the one inch size only, probably the most useful to you, but there are three sizes available. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/101757403/pretty-pleat-i-large-1-inch-scale-fabric

5 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

pretty pleater.

Personally, I favor the pin and spray method for a more natural drape. To me the results of the pretty pleater are unnaturally even. No curtain in my real house was ever that perfect.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I don't see where I can answer each of you individually, so here we go:

Cynthia, thanks, I am checking out prism silks. Shannon, thanks, I will also check out Maria's fabrics. Karin, I had the same problem. Fabric store in neighboring town said they no longer carry silk so that's no longer an option.  I've been "told" to use shantung or taffeta for curtains. Also, last spring I had my local library "borrow" Sue Heaser's book so I could check it out. I remember her mentioning using silk but not which type nor what she uses to stiffen it. I can't get the book back again to check that out. I also made a pretty pleater out of cardboard should I decide to go that route.  Kathie B.  you don't say what type of spray you use.

Right now I have been trying to use pretty shiny nylon (polyester) which isn't working. 

Here are some pictures of curtains I made for my Harrison.  The white fabric is polyester with a fleece backing, the red fabric is stretch velvet.  I glued these onto long coffee stir sticks.  I thought they looked good. The green curtains are also stretch velvet. I "painted" fabric stiffener on the back so it wouldn't go through and wreck the velvet, then used dowels and pins to shape the curtains. Hair spray faded out the velvet.

So I do know how to make the curtains, just didn't know what type of silk or what to use for stiffener.

Sooooooooooooo, it won't let me upload (choose files) or drag the file says I'm only allowed 1.17mb. Not sure what to do so will try again on another reply

If you start to cruise the thrift stores it doesn't take long to build up a stash of silk,at least it is the case  fairly close to me,  and  you quickly get so you can just brush along the rows of stuff and feel it .I have loads of silk but I truly think my favorite is a peach skin type, it is very soft and drapes beautifully but it doesn't look thin, the peach skin fuzz seems to make it look thicker, so you have the fullness without the thickness if that makes sense. I find a lot of men's shirts made of it and I get a lot of Sari silk too.

Inge, I'll look in my book today and let you know specifically what Heaser recommended. I'm thinking it wasn't too specific tho. They usually just recommend that you use %100 cotton or %100 silk, and then give the usual list of the different types of suitable silk. I think from there it's a personal preference thing. 

Hey everybody: I live in REDNECK COUNTRY, we have one thrift store and you won't find silk clothes in it. lol

Here are the curtains I made for the Harrison that I could not upload yesterday as per my reply:59e4db90b12f3_005(2)(640x522).jpg.3b6ae159e4db99c0669_014(3)(640x478).jpg.4e3f3259e4db954a2a9_007(640x463).jpg.da611c6e6

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Men's ties.   Check goodwill,  thrift stores etc.  I grab what I like for future projects.   Uh oh ......packed up 3 boxes of material.  Might have enough for a while. Lol

SILK men's ties; the polyester ones are good for upholstery, but won't work for drapes or curtains.

• Like 1

Inge, I also wanted to tell you, your Garfield is coming along beautifully. Not sure how I missed those pictures when they were first posted. 

Redneck Country....I'm kind of in the same situation lol :) 

Ok so from the Heaser book : 

Spray Stiffener choices: 

Spray On Fabric Stiffener ( for making roller blinds) 

Spray Starch 

Firm Hold Hairspray ( back in the 80s we used to love Aqua net) 

- I recently heard a designer say that she actually preferred fabric sizing to fabric starch. She said that it gives the fabric fullness and doesn't sit on top of the fabric like starch does. She uses Niagra Sizing brand. After the pleater process she takes the drape to the pinning board, pins and drenches the fabric with Niagra Sizing. I've been using starch on my doll costuming...I'm going to switch to using sizing and see if that works better. 

Ok, so silk fabric recommends from the Heaser book: 

Fine silks such as pongee, crepe de Chine and Taffeta. 

- slub silk (Duponi (sp?) has lines of slub in the weave and makes grand curtains for a formal room. Although stiff it will drape beautifully

- translucent silk such as georgette, chiffon and finest pongee are perfect for sheer curtains 

She also says fine pure cotton but we already knew that and silk was the question. 

Hope that helps a little. 

Hi Karin: Did you go on my Garfield album? I have a lot more pictures because I've come a long way on the house but frustrated trying to load pictures to the album. Last time it took over 2 hours and a lot of pictures were duplicated.  Just like on here, I couldn't load the pictures of the Harrison curtains last night but could this morning. What do you think of those curtains?

Thank you so so much for taking the time to type up all the info from the book.  I guess I just assumed silk was silk, not realizing there are so many choices. This will help tho. I'm batting zero on the taffeta for the colors I want.

Hey Kathie: Thanks, glad you like them. Actually the rooms are finished. As mentioned in my post to Karin, I have more pictures for Harrison and Garfield just have no patience trying to load pictures to the albums.

Karin, seriously, try the stretch velvet. When I think back to the Victorian days for some reason I think velvet. It was actually easy to work with once I figured out what I was doing.