I need a bath

Thimble Hall

.....well I don't need a bath exactly but I am looking for an old fashioned dollhouse size tin bath, not the hipster one or the small oval one  but the long one. I need it to hang on the shed outside a dollhouse which didn't have a bathroom, very common 100 or so years ago. I would be very pleased if anyone knows where I may find one.

107e693a28c9ddc6cdb604878bb929a8.jpg

imagesXA3Z86W3.jpg

imagesKTCML7M4.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure where you could buy one but I'm pretty sure you could make quite a good one with cardstock painted to look like metal. I've seen people make things like watering can's & buckets this way that look incredibly realistic. After all it's just a really large bucket. :) 

Amberatti at Amber's House Blog has made very convincing metal/tin items from card http://amberatti.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/112-scale-conservatory-update.html

She made templates using this site

I trimmed & painted a clear plastic blister pack and glued on beds for feet for the bathtub in the farmhouse:

hall & bathroom.JPG

No reason you couldn't do the same with one the size & shape you'd want.  You can super glue staples to each end for handles.  I find Rustoleum aerosol paints stick best to clear acetate; I also use them to prime polystyrene, which I can then paint with acrylics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you Samantha great idea, and you set off another one too. one of my grandson is a welder, he may be able to make me one in tinplate if it welds I don't know that but the other option in cardboard may work.

Barbara, I have seen those and they are not  the kind I don't want but thank you for helping, they are too small for a man to lay full length in, one is  a babies bath and the other one is a hipster which they didn't have in the UK ..it was the long one, sometimes called the coffin one I wanted.

Great bathtub Holly but the wrong shape for my needs

Just found this unsent.., sorry to be so late answering

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

...Great bathtub Holly but the wrong shape for my needs...

The suggestion was to find a blister pack the shape & size you want.  First you paint the outside white and when it's dry you paint whatever flat finish color to make it look like an old iron tub with porcelain interior.

Hi no I have seen those and actually they are not to scale, they are the baby sized tubs, the kids went in them but that is much too big for a baby.

This is one of those silly things that has to be just right or the whole idea is no good..they say everything come to those who wait so maybe I will find one someday. I might even be able to make on in tin myself, I could certainly make the pattern. I don't know if tin is welded or soldered but my SIL would know.

Thank you so much for trying I really do appreciate that.

If I take the dimensions of the original bath tubs that I am wanting a miniature at 1/12th they would come down to length 5 ins, width at shoulders 2 inches, slightly less at the foot end and 1 1/2 inches deep. If you look at the pictures at the top of the topic you can see the shape perfectly. What size and purpose is the copper tub you  need Barb

8 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...It is for Joe, it has to hang on his outhouse door/...

But traditionally baths were taken in the kitchen or the porch just outside the kitchen door, since the bath water had to be heated on the kitchen stove or else drawn from the kitchen boiler.  The tub was discretely hung on the wall out of the way or from the rafters.

I remember taking a bath in the kitchen in a wooden tub at my grandparents when I was little.  

I was looking for the copper or brass tub for my fairy house, I was also considering wood, like my grandparents had, I saw one on images but it ended up being a dead end pin.  I think I would probably be able to build one, just considering the dimensions for 1:12  there will not be a bathroom, just a wash area in the bedroom, and maybe a kitchen tub?

I made a bathing area on the front porch for the Three Pigs build. When you look at the size of the pigs and the size of the tub it's comically ridiculous, but perfectly acceptable in a whimsical theme. Don't worry about getting too stuck on "perfectly scaled". If that were the case, our 1/12th houses would all be really HUGE!

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

• Like 1